Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my gas-filled sump issue, and my clutch slave issue, I had to buy some parts for my 900 SS/SP. Here are the results of my dealings with various vendors:

YoyoDyne - Excellent. I had my Slave Cylinder parts at my door within three days. Knowledgeable folks and easy to deal with.

TPO Parts - Excellent. Ordered a new oil filter, drain plug and oil cap. I had the parts at my front door within three days. Very easy to deal with.

Fast By Ferraci - Nice kid at the parts counter. They only had an oil filter. Said they would have to order the oil drain plug and Front Brake light sensor. Was given no time-frame in which to expect the parts. Now over a week later and still no word. I remain unimpressed.

Is it that dealers no longer want to sell parts for older models? Or can someone point me in the direction of a more receptive dealership? Because, there will be times that I will need dealer only parts.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I order a few CHEAP items from the dealer. I can get stuff for my '99 no problem. but you are better off ordering online for cheaper prices.

I like CA-Cycleworks for belts and information. I really like TPO too just because it is a website full of shiny toys. TPO made an error on my order and corrected it immediately, I will buy again for sure.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
One issue with Ducati Seattle. I ordered a fuel level sender from them. When I put it in, it turned out to be a faulty brand new part. Too bad; it's electrical so no returns. I suppose all dealers might do the same thing, but it didn't make me happy that I had to eat a $125 part. Maybe I'll try to contact Ducati and see wht they say :crazy:. I think I already know what they'll say :mad:.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Fast By Ferraci - Nice kid at the parts counter. They only had an oil filter. Said they would have to order the oil drain plug and Front Brake light sensor. Was given no time-frame in which to expect the parts. Now over a week later and still no word. I remain unimpressed.

Is it that dealers no longer want to sell parts for older models? Or can someone point me in the direction of a more receptive dealership? Because, there will be times that I will need dealer only parts.

Thanks so much.
First Italian bike I take it? A week is nothing. If you want to run Italian exotics I suggest you a second bike. One to run while you wait for parts on the other.

As far as dealers not wanting to sell parts for older bikes......I would think dealer want to sell what sells fast. Basically quick turnover items. If they are investing money in a parts compliment I highly doubt it will be in parts for bike that havent been produced in years. How many front brake lever switches do you think Ducati moves per year for 900ss.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First Italian bike I take it? A week is nothing. If you want to run Italian exotics I suggest you a second bike. One to run while you wait for parts on the other.

As far as dealers not wanting to sell parts for older bikes......I would think dealer want to sell what sells fast. Basically quick turnover items. If they are investing money in a parts compliment I highly doubt it will be in parts for bike that havent been produced in years. How many front brake lever switches do you think Ducati moves per year for 900ss.
Actually, based on your somewhat mean-spirited response, I checked the applications for the oil drain plug I needed. Well over 20 models, spanning well over a decade. Is that part too rare for a dealership? As for the front brake switch, I would imagine that this part would span many models as well. And prior lurking on this site has shown that I am not the only one with this issue. Seems like it is a known issue.

In short, the parts I needed were hardly model specific. I meant no harm in my post, rather I thought I would share my experiences with different parts suppliers.

And a second bike?? Heck, I have five already.

Thanks so much for the input.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Actually, based on your somewhat mean-spirited response, I checked the applications for the oil drain plug I needed. Well over 20 models, spanning well over a decade. Is that part too rare for a dealership? As for the front brake switch, I would imagine that this part would span many models as well. And prior lurking on this site has shown that I am not the only one with this issue. Seems like it is a known issue.

In short, the parts I needed were hardly model specific. I meant no harm in my post, rather I thought I would share my experiences with different parts suppliers.

And a second bike?? Heck, I have five already.

Thanks so much for the input.
I agree that alot of parts are interchangeable but what parts should a dealer stock and what year should be the cut off that they don't carry parts?

When I needed a tach cable for my 900 I ended up calling every dealer in a 200 mile radius and found only one that had one in stock. If I had to order a cable it was about a month out. I'm sure they sell tach cables 100 to 1 over oil drain plugs.

I didn't mean for my first post to be mean spirited and i am sorry if it came off that way.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One issue with Ducati Seattle. I ordered a fuel level sender from them. When I put it in, it turned out to be a faulty brand new part. Too bad; it's electrical so no returns. I suppose all dealers might do the same thing, but it didn't make me happy that I had to eat a $125 part. Maybe I'll try to contact Ducati and see wht they say :crazy:. I think I already know what they'll say :mad:.
Thanks for the tip! I never would have considered the no return policy on electrical parts. But as you said, probably every shop has a similar policy.

I agree that a call to Ducati may be required.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had great results dealing with Moto Milano in Maine, & Razee in Rhode Island. Both outfits have quality staff, depth of inventory & overnight service via UPS ground to my location in CT

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on Ferraci:

I met the parts kid and another FBF employee at our local Hooters bike night last week, and had a chance to discuss the current state of Ducati parts availability. They were totally nice people, but believe it or not, they actually laughed when I brought up the subject of parts for the older bikes. It turns out they they are also in the same position, in that they could probably sell way more parts for the older bikes if they were readily available.

So I guess that the reply from Perazzimx14 was not so mean spirited after all LOL!.

So in the end, FBF are all right.

But I guess I will have to get used to waiting forever for parts for my now "antique" 1994 900ss/sp. But I will be waiting in much better humour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts