Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As another Ducati enters the family (2006 800ss) :yeah: I immediately ponder tweaking components. I have been told that 1999+ SuperSport components will fit onto an 800ss - are there any other Ducati models which will have parts compatibility? For example, I will be looking for:

rear shock (fully adjustable with ride height)
forks (fully adjustable - showa at a minimum)
wheels (5 spoke)

Dare I ask what other brands have compatibility (Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, etc?)

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Hey Rum,

Prett much anything chassis related on a '99+ will fit. So if it is 620, 750, 800, 900, 1000 the suspension, chassis and body parts will fit each other. IIRC, the rear axle on the 1000 was the 25mm axle though, but research that one first.

You can also swap certain SBK parts on your SS. The front fender and wheel/axle is the same from a 748/998 as the SS bikes. With some triple mods, the front forks will work on an SS too. You can either buy a new upper triple/lower shims or have your stock triples modified to fit. The nice thing about the 748/998 Showa forks is that they are a better start than the SS forks. You can pick them up on ebay for cheap and for about $300, build them to work great.

The front sprocket is also interchangeable with the 748/996 model SBK. The 998 had a different front sprocket.

Now, motor-wise between the SS line, you must be careful however, there are some parts that can change.

Cams: The cams of the first gen models (three bearing) will interchange(750 & 900), though be careful when swapping and cam timing. The second gen (two bearing) 620 and the 800 cams will swap, but the 1000 cams(no bearing) are not able to swap with any other models. You can put the 1st gen cams into the 2nd gen heads with modifications, however the 2nd gen cams will not fit into the 1st gen heads. The nice thing about the 800 heads is the valve size and inlet ports are bigger and nicely done(2v wise). They are limited to only one cam though, so if you score a set of 900SSie(injected) cams and H/C pistons, you can get some nice HP increases(mid to upper 80's) with the 800SS.

I know there is more than my brain will allow pre-coffee, hope this helps.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Nice info, Brian! I don't think anyone would've gotten more info from searching the web for several hours! :)

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian, thanks for the quick reply!

Being new to the Superbike/Supersport series of Ducatis (former owner of several Multistradas) this is an all-new learning experience. The tutoring is very much appreciated.

You mentioned 748 compatibility, does that include 749/999 series as well?

-Keith

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
No, the 749/999 motor is very different, resulting in a different sprocket(like the 998).

Also, the wheels are five spoke, not six like the older models. You could swap them if you went with new forks, brake rotors and wheels. ;)

IIRC, the Multis and HM are using the current rash of updates, but the SS will be sucking up the old techno gadgets. Maybe someday Ducati will listen to use few and bring back the SS line with current technology. A more testa type head with revised oil cooling ports for better cooling. Not much weight difference, but better EPA results. Oversize oil radiator, oil lines in the cams bearing. Shorter exhaust ports for better heat dissipation, resulting in cooler heads. Bigger valves, bigger lift/shorter duration cams giving more power, but very streetable manners.

Though I like the new Terbe model looks, I think they should bring back some classic lines to the SS model, along with the look of the Supermono. Would be a sweet look. This topic has been discussed until it's blue in the face though.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
As another Ducati enters the family (2006 800ss) :yeah: I immediately ponder tweaking components. I have been told that 1999+ SuperSport components will fit onto an 800ss - are there any other Ducati models which will have parts compatibility? For example, I will be looking for:

rear shock (fully adjustable with ride height)
forks (fully adjustable - showa at a minimum)
wheels (5 spoke)
I believe the wheels from the Monsters fit our bikes, at least the ones with the double sided swing arms and air cooled motors. Does the 800 have an electronic speedo, or mechanical? That makes a difference for the front wheel. The SS that I know of all had mechanical speedos.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No, the 749/999 motor is very different, resulting in a different sprocket(like the 998).
"IIRC, the Multis and HM are using the current rash of updates, but the SS will be sucking up the old techno gadgets. Maybe someday Ducati will listen to use few and bring back the SS line with current technology. A more testa type head with revised oil cooling ports for better cooling. Not much weight difference, but better EPA results. Oversize oil radiator, oil lines in the cams bearing. Shorter exhaust ports for better heat dissipation, resulting in cooler heads. Bigger valves, bigger lift/shorter duration cams giving more power, but very streetable manners."

Do yo mean that the HM and MS 1000DS motors are different that the SS 1000DS motors in some ways?
I thought the only difference was the bigger bores.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
"IIRC, the Multis and HM are using the current rash of updates, but the SS will be sucking up the old techno gadgets. Maybe someday Ducati will listen to use few and bring back the SS line with current technology. A more testa type head with revised oil cooling ports for better cooling. Not much weight difference, but better EPA results. Oversize oil radiator, oil lines in the cams bearing. Shorter exhaust ports for better heat dissipation, resulting in cooler heads. Bigger valves, bigger lift/shorter duration cams giving more power, but very streetable manners."

Do yo mean that the HM and MS 1000DS motors are different that the SS 1000DS motors in some ways?
I thought the only difference was the bigger bores.
Regarding the HM & Multi, the motors aren't too different, but they received the 5 spoke wheels IIRC, unlike the SS bikes which still remain on the 6 spokers. Doesn't seem they want to go too far in upgrades for the 2V bikes.

I guess we will see when the 696 comes out. Interesting to see the heads on that bike. Same bore and stroke as the 695, but different heads resulting in more power. The DS motor is very capable of very decent HP while still maintaning low emissions.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey Brazeau,
where did you get that clutch cover?
I got it on ebay from a seller named "ergalcnc". It took a few weeks to arrive from Italy to the USA, but it was only $80 and it's a very nice quality billet cover. I don't see anything for sale from the seller anymore though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts