Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chatting with my brother last night and he didn't realize that my '95 SS was so "old" and suggested that if I plan to keep the bike (I do), I should stock up on a few consumables that might not be easily available in the near future. Anybody out there doing that ... and any thoughts as to what might I stock up on?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So far in my experience Ducati are pretty good at the consumable stuff as a lot of it is used across lots of models. Even a lot of "special" Ducati Performance parts are still available from the dealer. Brembo are still making the brake parts as assemblies. Getting seals however is a challenge. They just want you to replace the entire part not rebuild it. Model specific parts like the headlight might become hard to get. If you want a show bike you can ride you could keep your original body parts aside and have a second set to ride with I guess.

I keep oil change washers and a filter and bodywork fastener and washers plus new well nuts so I don't have to wait for a part to do basic maintenance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave - no I don't want a show bike, just something that I can keep running. I know how hard (and expensive) it is with my older Ducs to get parts. I was thinking of things like the electronic ignition unit and pick-ups .... are they unique to the 90's bikes? Nice link to the frames, BTW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been pleasantly surprised that most consumable OEM parts are still available for my 95 900 SS...similar availability for my BMW GS of the same era. Browsing the online fiche at Stein-Dinse for entertainment, more often than not the part is available (but can be expensive, that's part of the deal!)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It was about at the start of the Carb SS's that Ducati started putting non Italian parts on the bikes so the base of parts crosses over to Japanese bikes also. This makes things better for everything. Check out CA Cycleworks for aftermarket ignition parts too.

As an interesting note Mahle now own 90% or Kokusan. Zee Germans buying up the Jap bike parts industry!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info. I guess I can relax for a few years ...

·
Registered
979 Posts
I was chatting with my brother last night and he didn't realize that my '95 SS was so "old" and suggested that if I plan to keep the bike (I do), I should stock up on a few consumables that might not be easily available in the near future. Anybody out there doing that ... and any thoughts as to what might I stock up on?
SO many parts are interchangable between the monster, SS and SBK. I very much doubt consumables will become scarce seeing how so many bikes are out there. Even some aprilias share components. Some of this stuff was used well into the 2000s!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If I was on my own for service, I would probably try to pick up a cheap parts bike of similar vintage, not just to have the bits available, but for great savings on cost. If you find one of those SS's on which the frame has cracked, you can get it pretty cheap.

I'm lucky that my dealerships have done that for me. The dealer I used in CA had a crashed '94 M900 in the back for parts; my bike is wearing its carburetors, kickstand, and a couple other things. My current dealership in NH picked up a '93 900SS with a cracked frame cheap, to supply my bike with parts; my Monster is wearing its forks and front brake discs, my wife's '95 M900 is wearing its fuel sensor.

PhilB

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I was on my own for service, I would probably try to pick up a cheap parts bike of similar vintage, not just to have the bits available, but for great savings on cost. If you find one of those SS's on which the frame has cracked, you can get it pretty cheap.

I'm lucky that my dealerships have done that for me. The dealer I used in CA had a crashed '94 M900 in the back for parts; my bike is wearing its carburetors, kickstand, and a couple other things. My current dealership in NH picked up a '93 900SS with a cracked frame cheap, to supply my bike with parts; my Monster is wearing its forks and front brake discs, my wife's '95 M900 is wearing its fuel sensor.

PhilB
I like the idea but I do all my own work and unfortunately have no room for a parts bike. Hey Phil, do you really have 247,000 miles on your Monster?!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SO many parts are interchangable between the monster, SS and SBK. I very much doubt consumables will become scarce seeing how so many bikes are out there. Even some aprilias share components. Some of this stuff was used well into the 2000s!
Thanks amehl. I just so rarely see other carbies around here I thought parts might get scarce.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks amehl. I just so rarely see other carbies around here I thought parts might get scarce.
Maybe it's the weather up there!

The world is awash with carb SS's. Even in Aus there are heaps of them. Japan too it seems. I used to see a lot of them in Nor Cal.

I mentioned the headlight as I don't know of an aftermarket replacement that matches the angle on the lense. You can get lights that fit but they aren't the same fit in the fairing. The stuff that is unique to the SS are the parts that will become a problem. I said "Show" meaning original as you can get aftermarket bodywork (and tanks) which is fine but it's not original. An example for bolt polishers is Brembo still make a rear caliper that fits and is functional the same but it is different and covers more models by having the bleeder and banjo ports at either end of the caliper so the line can go on either end. No functional problem but as an original restoration it wouldn't do. I bought an original style a while back and was told they were going to be phased out for the one I previously mentioned.

I started off wanting to be original but the lure of later model parts like radial master cylinders and a swingarm that won't crack got me out of that mindset. Then your off down the road of putting aftermarket parts that are better than the original parts to make the bike better or more reliable. Things like original brake lines are well past their use by date and the aftermaket has better than original lines.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I like the idea but I do all my own work and unfortunately have no room for a parts bike. Hey Phil, do you really have 247,000 miles on your Monster?!
Yes. I bought it new when the Monster came out in '93, and have been riding it daily since.

PhilB

Reactions: draganc
1 - 15 of 15 Posts