Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mongrel 1995 900ss project that I was hoping to use for a Walt Seigl Leggaro build but circumstances have changed and I am not going to get to it anytime soon. The bike is missing the front wheel, stator cover and a couple of bits and bobs. My question is what is the value of this thing as it stands? I have been looking for ads for projects and cannot find any references. I was hoping to get $1400 for it. Does that sound reasonable? The bike is located in SoCal. Thanks

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Ask for the moon, settle for a moon pie. If you ask $1400 obo, people will make offers . You get to be the one who decides what it's worth to you. I sold a couple of classic cars this summer. People called and told me what the " books" said they were worth . I told them " Well then, what you need to do is go buy one of THOSE cars, because mine isn't going to sell at that price " . I also sold three classic bike "projects" which I had no desire to finish as a package deal , at a good price. I didn't have to screw around with multiple "experts" wasting my evenings while individually trying to pay next to nothing. If you want it gone, your heart will find a compromise you can live with. Your bike is more plentiful where you live, here in Michigan you might get closer to your price. A guy who needs a motor might give a decent offer.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I've put it up on Craigs List to see if anyone bites if not I will throw a sheet over it and leave it in the corner of the garage

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Yes , those old sheets come in handy , don't they? Like the cloak of of invisibility .

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More like a clock of responsibility and commitment. My poor old Z1 and Sunbeam both live under sheets.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
More like a clock of responsibility and commitment. My poor old Z1 and Sunbeam both live under sheets.
I hear you. Priorities (and interest levels) change over time and I know that feeling of "I should really get to that project" quite well. I had a mass sell-off about 3 or 4 years ago... I got rid of one project bike I knew I'd just never finish plus two others which I had acquired at little or no cost and rebuilt/repaired/restored but never rode. It freed up a little cash and a lot of space in my garage, and mentally it felt good to clean house like that. 3 years later and I've still only got one bike in my garage, which I ride a lot, and if something should come along that interests me I have room. An added bonus was that although I did it for myself, my wife was pretty happy to be able to get to her car without squeezing past "those filthy motorcycles" (true) for the first time in a decade.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
The great thing about my project "sell off" was I made money on all of them, totally diffusing any future arguments about my project vehicle purchases. I handed most of the cash to wifey with instructions not to forget were it came from. The look I got in return would have been useful for stripping old paint from my gas tank, but the point was definitely received. I now shop on Craig's list and point out possible project purchases just to hear the sound of silence in return.

Reactions: jimmyjojo

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The great thing about my project "sell off" was I made money on all of them, totally diffusing any future arguments about my project vehicle purchases. I handed most of the cash to wifey with instructions not to forget were it came from. The look I got in return would have been useful for stripping old paint from my gas tank, but the point was definitely received. I now shop on Craig's list and point out possible project purchases just to hear the sound of silence in return.
Ha ha! Glad it is not just me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts