Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my ST to Austin a couple of weeks ago for the MotoGP races and had a bit of an issue while I was there. On Saturday evening we rode downtown for the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show (I highly recommend this one), and while we were inside someone ran into my bike and knocked it over. The perp didn't stick around or leave a note. There was some fairly heavy damage to the front fairing, headlight and fender, but only minor scuffs to the right side where it landed (pics below). I haven't found any structural damage, and I was able to ride it home to KC. I feel lucky it didn't fall the other direction since that would have taken out a couple more bikes. I also have another headlight and fender sitting on the shelf, so I should get off fairly cheaply.

I was able to find a red fairing on eBay, and it should be here later today. Pictures in the ad make it look like the paint on the replacement needs some help. If that's the case, I'll paint the whole bike (Corse style? I've done that before to an ST2, see pic below) and this will turn into a build thread. I'm almost looking forward to that. Otherwise, I'll just touch up and buff.

I also have a question. My Throttle Meister was damaged in the drop and fell out on the ride home. I like the look and build quality of Throttle Meister, but they're clumsy to use. Does anyone have an alternate solution that they're happy with?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
That's unfortunate...our bikes don't bounce all that well. I don't understand the damage to the nose...did they hit you with a lifted truck?

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Sure is a pretty bike with the Corse theme.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's unfortunate...our bikes don't bounce all that well. I don't understand the damage to the nose...did they hit you with a lifted truck?
Sorry to read about the mishap, however you should fair ok...

I too don't understand the front end damage. Looks as though it was smacked in the front and fell on the right. Are the forks and front end straight?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sorry to hear about this crap. Best of luck fixing the damage.

Were you parked in the remote lot, because the primary show parking lot was filled? If you were, you might want to let the show organizers know what happened. I skipped the show, because the primary show lot was filled and they wanted me to park my bike in the remote lot. When a motorcycle show gets so popular that bikes have to be parked in remote lots, because the primary lot is predominantly filled with cars and riders have their bikes damaged by cage drivers while visiting the show, it has become a bike show for cage drivers.....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to read about the mishap, however you should fair ok...

I too don't understand the front end damage. Looks as though it was smacked in the front and fell on the right. Are the forks and front end straight?
I'll probably never know for sure, but I'm guessing it was a pick-up, not necessarily lifted. I have a 2WD F150, and the rear bumper is about the right height to hit the front tire high and ride up into the fairing. I didn't find any paint from the offending vehicle, so that makes me think chrome bumper. A closed tailgate would also make it hard to see a bike while backing up. BTW, my bike was on the center stand, so it would be easy to tip to either side.

I had to ride my bike the rest of Saturday night, Sunday and then home to KC (nearly 800 miles) on Monday. It rode, turned and stopped normally. I can't see the damage from the saddle, and it was like nothing had happened. I think mechanically, the bike is fine.

Ray, we had to park in a lot about 4 blocks away, so it was fairly remote. We were under a street light, but not a lot of people around. The last few years were a lot better with plenty of bike parking at the front door or within a block.

I'd still be interested to hear input on throttle locks before I spend money on another Throttle Meister. I was looking at these on eBay (link below). Has anyone had experience with something similar?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Cruise-2-Universal-Throttle-Control/143203208958?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Finally, I received the new (to me) fairing last night. No cracks or breaks, but it looks like someone tried to home repair some paint chips. There was some light sanding and a poor buffing job. Looks like I'll be doing the total repaint. Updates to follow.

Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad you were able to source the front cowl Twerth. It took me 6 months and an ebay shipment from Australia to get a used replacement. Very hard to come by.

Looking forward to your build.

Scott L.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you were able to source the front cowl Twerth. It took me 6 months and an ebay shipment from Australia to get a used replacement. Very hard to come by.

Looking forward to your build.

Scott L.
Yup, that's my experience as well. A little over a year ago, I cracked my upper fairing while removing the lowers with the top in place in a freezing cold garage. I was able to repair the crack from the back, but you could still see it if you looked closely. I've had an eBay search set up for a year, hoping to find a nice one I could bolt on with no repainting. Nothing even close ever came up. You can still buy 'em new for ~$750, OUCH!

The night I got home from the Austin trip, this one popped up. Paint isn't perfect but it's structurally sound, and since I have other areas to fix as well... Amazing luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re throttle locks/clamps I recommend you look into Vista Cruise.

I put one on my 4S years ago and although its never going to have the engineered look of precision that the Throttlemeister might have for some, its a very simple device that works as well as I could ever ask for.
For long rides its a great aid for a tired right hand and at a fraction of the price of the Tmeister type clamps

I also flipped mine over so its activated by my index finger rather than my thumb.
Works a treat and very adjustable to the pressure you want.
Throttle twist resistance over normal is barely noticeable when its nudged on and its easily overridden without needing to flick it off

I'd show you a pic of it installed but my uploading skills don't match whats needed

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I put one on my 4S years ago and although its never going to have the engineered look of precision that the Throttlemeister might have for some, its a very simple device that works as well as I could ever ask for.
For long rides its a great aid for a tired right hand and at a fraction of the price of the Tmeister type clamps

I also flipped mine over so its activated by my index finger rather than my thumb.
Throttle twist resistance over normal is barely noticeable when its nudged on and its easily overridden without needing to flick it off
That doesn't look too bad. Might give one a try. Thanks for the input.

I was able to get my bike back together and on the road last night. It was getting dark, so no pics yet, but I'll post some up later today. I'll probably ride it like this for a few weeks before I take it back apart for paint (I've got some other chores to clear off the list first).

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Twerth, I use a GoCruise. The cheap plastic version. Have had it for the past few years. It's so simple, I'm surprised it wasn't invented 40 years ago (oh, wait, my 750 honda and my old BMW had throttle-dampening screws on the bottom of the twist grip!).

Anyway, I find it simple to use, and easy to swap it from bike to bike. Downfalls are it eats up about 1/4" of length of your grip. So if you have large hands, it something to consider. Also, since it can come off easily, it could be stolen easily. I've never had this issue, and it's not something that stands out like a sore thumb. But I figured I'd mention it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Stick. I got to take a look at a Go Cruise on a friend's bike over the weekend. He seems to like it. But, I've already ordered a Vista Cruise. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably give the Go Cruise a try.

Anyway, pics of the reassembled bike are attached. I've got a couple of weeks of home improvement to knock out, but after that, I'll disassemble and start paint work.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Bad news for you with the tip over. A guy at work tipped mine over a couple of years ago which wrote the bike off. I purchased back from the insurer and repaired it. At least I knew the guy!

Yours will be as good as new in no time.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I'd show you a pic of it installed but my uploading skills don't match whats needed
Hey Colin. I bought a Vista Cruise and can't see how it's going to fit over the throttle tube. Did you have to modify yours to get it to fit? You mentioned you have trouble uploading photos, but if you could post one of your installation, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been awhile, but I finally found a window of opportunity to get my ST painted. I tore it apart a couple of weeks ago and started sanding all the parts (15 of 'em) down. The clear coat Ducati uses is some amazing stuff. It take a helluva lot of scrubbing to get a consistent matte finish. I finally got it though, and last weekend I was able to get a coat of 2K sealer on everything. Now I'm in the middle of final sanding and hope to spray color over the holiday weekend. No pics of the sealer because that's boring, but I'll post some progress shots as I get the paint laid down. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With so many parts to paint, I decided to divide and conquer. So today I painted the parts that are all black. That's nine of the fifteen pieces. The remaining multi-colored parts (red, white and black) will come tomorrow.

I used a different brand of clear this time (TCP Global Restoration Shop), and I'm really impressed with how smoothly it flowed out. I'll have to wait and see how the rest of the pieces turn out, but I'm tempted to not cut & buff. We'll see.

My only complaint is that tiny bug landed on the "D" on one of my lower fairings. He's pretty well embedded, so I might not be able to do much with him. Maybe I can sand him out and reclear with the rest of the parts tomorrow.

At any rate, here are a couple of shots of my progress so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Done painting! Today didn't go as well as yesterday. A bit more technical today. Overall it didn't turn out bad, but I know where every flaw is. I'm never satisfied with my own work. I was on the fence about the number plate on the top fairing, but that actually turned out pretty good.

With a little luck, I'll have it back together on Sunday. I'll post some "done" shots then, but let me know what you think so far.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts