Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
with only university level physics under my belt, I'm pretty sure gravity will have some say in this matter. The bike is going to fall over. Unless I'm mistaken, then the bike will fall up. Either way, I hope you have good frame sliders, insurance and you're somewhere safe during this earthquake

·
Registered
821 Posts
There are two possibilities, depending on the individual earthquake and how lucky you are:

A. tip over
B. do nothing

... :confused:

·
Registered
859 Posts
There are two possibilities, depending on the individual earthquake and how lucky you are:

A. tip over
B. do nothing

... :confused:
Actually I think there are infinitely more possibilities
C. Flattened by a building
D. Swallowed up by a fissure
E. :abduct:

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I like to think, with how unstable Ducs feel on the side stand, that it will actually be stable in an earthquake after all the cars fall over.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Now that you mention 'earthquake', I remember I left my bikes in the garage with the Ducati in the middle. I need to move it so it's on the highside of the other two. That way the other bikes won't fall on it, and if it tips over it has a Bonnie and a ZRex to 'cushion' its fall :)

On a related note, if you bike has a center stand, would it fare better in a quake on the center stand or on the side stand? Hmm ... maybe on the center with the side deployed ... ? :think:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I keep mine hung from the rafters so I think I'm good.

Unless the roof collapses, then I'm effed.

Or if I got physics all wrong as well and the roof rips off and shoots skyward... well, I hope I have my camera ready so I can post pictures :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
perhaps you could wrap your bike in a tonne of bubble wrap?

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
It was ethanol that caused the alien craft to break down ... The disease story was a cover-up from the manufacture who is offering retro kits for the cell areas that failed ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Christchurch during their big quake last year, dam near every bike in the city had a wee lie down that day! At least the Dukes didn't need digging out like the Milwaukee tractors did. I still don't get those things.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Living in California and being witness to several big ones, I've actually thought about this. I keep my bike on a Baxley Sport Chock and make sure nothing from above can fall on it. If an earthquake is strong enough to knock it off the chock, the whole house will probably go down too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for this. Was thinking the same and wondering if the pit bull was going to be enough. A chock is a good idea.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Went through the quake in '89 in the SF Bay Area. Bike fell over, dented the car it was next to (so it never actually hit the ground). I was in a doorway and the house (I'm not making this up) moved enough to hit me in the face and give me a fat lip. Fish tank (70gal tall) actually made it, though it was, literally, strapped to the wall. Lost a fair amount of water from it... :) It was quite a ride.
Chocks and stands are no match for a good earthquake. The 'hanging it from the rafters' will probably work, provided the house remains intact. If you are in a single-level, wood structure, that is your best bet.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
A chock is better than side stand. But yeah, it all depends upon the level of the natural disaster!

I'm glad I don't live in a quake-prone zone like Cali. Oregon gets a quake once in a blue moon and it's generally feeble. Now, about those volcanoes in Washington... :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts