Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 MTS GT, and the battery bit the dust in just 18 months. This bike does not get plugged in as much as my others, which tend to go many years on the conventional AGM batteries. So today, while changing the battery, I grabbed my meter and measured the drain on the battery. To my amazement, it was 0.08 amps. My ST4s and older ST2 both measure 0.002 A. This is 40x more (And they are the same 12AHr batteries). It seems that this bike has the most need to be plugged in when parked!

Could it be the fact that there are 5 processors on this bike?

Has anyone else measured their water-cooled MTS? I searched and read some strings on battery drainage, but the measured value was not there.

If you want to measure it, just unbolt the negative lead, and then insert your ammeter there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
With the bike shut down noting is active. It only searches for key proximity once ignition is activated.
Not so sure about that, also make sure that your handlebar switch(red) is always flipped back up if you use it to cut off bike. It was not uncommon for these bikes to have a dead or low battery after sitting for a month in the showrooms. They do have more parasitic draw than any of the other bikes from this chart -https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10055610-4500.pdf

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess toeslider isn't an electrical engineer, lol

"ya know how you've turned off the ignition on the bike? make sure you double turn it off"

·
Registered
91 Posts
toeslider" what does lifting the red button up do re.current draw?
Its in your manual-keeps the bike from constantly searching for the key fob. Some have run down their battery in less than a week by leaving it in the down position. 2012 and later have a warning on the dash as a reminder.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you have added a USB type socket, it can pull a lot of current, even while not in use. Needs to be on switched supply.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting about the red slide switch. I'll try the measurements again, making sure the fob is far away, and the red slide down, and slid up.

No USB socket or GPS powered gizmos...but thanks for mentioning that. My GF leaves hers plugged into the battery tender lead on her Yamaha, and I've warned her about that. Even when not powering your phone,
it still draws quiescent power.

I'll update with my findings...

·
Registered
42 Posts
My ’12 model draws approx. 3mA in its parked state with no accessories. Typically it takes around 5 weeks to drop from a full charge of around 13V down to 12.5V, which is when I’ll then plug it in to the charger.
A couple of things I found that increased the drain dramatically to the point where it wouldn’t start after 2 weeks idle, included a USB power socket, leaving the GPS in the cradle on standby and an old Garmin GPS cradle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Its in your manual-keeps the bike from constantly searching for the key fob. Some have run down their battery in less than a week by leaving it in the down position. 2012 and later have a warning on the dash as a reminder.
I can't find this reference in my manual; the only mention of the red switch is for shutiing down the motor. The black key range is only supposed to be 1.5M. It is my understanding from my 2017 manual that after shutdown, the bike hibernates until the system start or centre knob are turned on at which point the bike searches for the black key and if found, the dash will light up. Of course the centre knob will light up the bike in PIN mode without the black key being present.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can't find this reference in my manual; the only mention of the red switch is for shutiing down the motor. The black key range is only supposed to be 1.5M. It is my understanding from my 2017 manual that after shutdown, the bike hibernates until the system start or centre knob are turned on at which point the bike searches for the black key and if found, the dash will light up. Of course the centre knob will light up the bike in PIN mode without the black key being present.
Not sure about 2017, this was a problem up to 2015.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found the same on pages 145 and 146 in the 2013 MTS GT manual. Page 146 indicates that it is a fault, and needs to be reported. Here is the quote:
Button (1) must be taken back to its top position in
order to avoid any power absorption which could
drain the battery.
In this case, report the fault to Dealer or Authorised
Service Centre.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did get a chance to play with the measurements again today.
I carefully connected clip leads to the (-) cable, to my meter, and another clip lead to the (-) battery post. This ensured I did not interrupt the power while unbolting the (-) cable. I measured 0.002 Amps. Then I set the slide switch up. No change. I introduced the key fob near the dash. No change. Then I pressed the slide down to activate the dash. Saw a bit of current, like 5 amps or so, and it dropped to some lower figure.

So my guess is that when I connected the battery the other day, it was initializing the system (I did see the dash flash ever so slightly), and that's when I measured 0.08 Amps. I probably needed to wait some additional time. Plus, I had the key fob with me...

But today, I feel much more comfortable with the 0.002 Amp amount that I saw today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts