Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you stay loyal to Ducati if they changed from L twins to inline 270 degree twins?
A few companies are getting into them now; Triumph, Yamaha and even Hondas new Africa has one.
Assuming it still had desmo valves, the sound and power delivery would be the same because of the 270 degree crank. The old Yamaha TRX 850 was renowned for using this type of engine.
The benefits are:
? no under seat exhaust burning your butt
? less moving parts eg one cam belt therefore cheaper servicing
? better cooling because both cylinders are in the wind
? shorter engine allows for shorter wheelbase or longer swing arm
? more weight shifted to the front of the bike (weight distribution)
? IMO in a naked bike I believe a parallel twin looks neater

Ducati has been gradually shifting over the years eg; wet clutch, water cooled Monsters, ditching the trellis frame on some models.
Would the parallel twin be OK or is it one step too far for you.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,891 Posts
Ducati made parallel twins before and they were a complete disaster so I doubt they'd go down that road again as mud sticks.
Anyway I already have a "Proper" parallel twin.

Reactions: Wonway

·
Bon Vivant
11,108 Posts
I just don't see Ducati as a parallel twin company - I know they had them at one time but it was a huge fail for them and even today the old parallel twin ducs are shunned by collectors as worthless.
They were un-loved then and unless they could do it in an amazing way I'd bet they'd be un-loved today. I just dont see it. It has no appeal to me.
(but at the same time - I'm probably a buyer for the new Thruxton 1200, Triumph is supposed to be a ptwin)

I do see a V4 for Ducati. I'd bet my last dollar that a v4 would be embraced by ducatisti and a runaway success. Please Ducati, put one in a new streetfighter!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
In addition to what has just been said, I doubt Ducati will make the same mistake BMW made in the early 80's when they quit producing boxers. Only brick-bikes were available and sales dropped like, you guessed, a brick. Before not too long, a limited number of boxers were back in the program and BMW announced the development of a new and "truly modern" flat twin (later known as oil-head).

I can see Ducati adding more engine configurations to their line-up and an I2 could be one of them. But a radical change and sacrificing the L2 configuration ..... not going to happen.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
A parallel twin has a bad case of the shakes, a 270 crank model even worse.

A counter balancer has to be added which saps power. Doctor T considered this an abomination, which is why he liked the L twin, or 90 degree twin. It has perfect primary balance.

Just a little secondary buzz like an inline 4.

So, no....I don't see Ducati moving to parallel twins like Kaw or Yam.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Ive spent some time on the Kawi Versys, the small one, 650 or whatever. It's so damn smooth it's more like a really smooth four cylinder. But it has like zero torque down low. It has to be up around 7k to have any power at all. But it's electric smooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts