Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I wanted to move the discussion over from the FS thread: whether mods hurt or help value of an SE.

Having looked at the proposition, I would offer that there is 100% stock (as delivered) and modified with factory accessories. In fact, having factory accessories should add value over a bone-stock example because they are improvements that increase the rarity and still fall under "how the factory intended."

So, Öhlins, DP parts, and Termi exhaust definitely fall under this category. And since most parts are now unobtanium, should be looked at as a collection instead of just a single vehicle. I would even go so far to say that community specific mods from important sources at the time: WASP, Clay Carrier, FLEDA, even Zard also capture the sentiment at the time these bikes were popular. Like Yenko did for the 427 Chevys.

In any good collection, having the stock parts is necessary for 100% price, the mods also add value, real and perceived.

I never got the whole "as if you drove it off the lot" philosophy since performance vehicles always had various options and accessories to improve their performance, and those were always more desirable at the time the vehicle was sold.

But, in the end it's only history that sets the price, and those Yenko Cameros ending up going for 250K to 2.2M depending on condition and use more than what options they came with.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I think anyone who values a stock bike over one that's had genuine improvements made is very strange...

We all know most standard factory bikes are built to a price set by the marketing director, to fit within a sales niche and benchmarked against the competition. The pricing down-specs most bikes from the original vision. Who'd prefer Sachs to Ohlins? Steel to Alu? Plastic hoses to braided ones...

(Unless they've made the bike ugly or perform worse, you'd be crazy to want the bike stock...)

But, each to their own.

·
Bon Vivant
11,567 Posts
Regardless of how we each as individuals feel the market set the reality and the reality is that from a pure collector standpoint 100% original is the target.

This only applies to vehicles that are very rare AND highly prized. (There are very rare vehicles out there that nobody cares about)

There's certainly a market out there for vehicles that have been modified to any degree, I'm only talking about people who collect factory vehicles of significance.

I think the se falls into this category and I would not put many bikes into that status.

It's interesting that you site the yenko SE84, you or I could build the exact same car with the exact same parts and in the eyes of a serious collector the car would be worth less than a stock big block camaro. As always, The significance is in the origin.

So, you or I could love what somebody has done but to a collector the origin is everything.

·
Bon Vivant
11,567 Posts
There is another thing to consider and that is the broad range appeal of the vehicle you are selling.
The starting point for anyone looking for a certain vehicle is always the way it came from the factory.
Anytime you mod your vehicle there will be those who like what you've chosen and those who do not. So, each time you do another mod you narrow it's appeal by a certain number. The more mods you do the narrower it's appeal becomes.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
bike in question is beyond perfect IMO, let the imaginary collectors buy
whatever they please, this is twice what the stock bike has been.

good luck with the sale.

:cool:

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
But, if you know the history of these bikes, then you know the tragically poor suspension they have, and that tank-slappers are not unheard of. In that sense, fork upgrades and maybe a steering damper, R&R replacement as well as addressing the tank issues will only raise the price. A stock bike with these things not addressed will get a lower value in my book because they seriously need to be addressed before the bike is even safe.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I hope all sport classics fall into the hands of riders not collectors. They're post-millenium fuel injected performance bikes, and are not old enough or rare enough to be mothballed or crated-up by collectors, denying riders of owning a unique but modern machine.

Sure, keep a 1972 750ss in your front room in a glass case in original condition, but not these DS1000-engined retro-styled Monsters.

Just my opinion of course... Not sure why it bothers me so much - apart from seeing prices driven up artificially and seeing prospective owners not finding one to own and ride.

·
Bon Vivant
11,567 Posts
I'm speaking about the state of the collector market as whole not specifically about papa's bike.

I won't go into how I feel about his bike because it has no bearing on the subject and I wish him well in the sale of his bike.

I hope all sport classics fall into the hands of riders not collectors
I completely agree with you Dutch but IMO the SE is the exception because of the historical reference and the low number of units.
I'd love to see the majority of the SE bikes survive the years.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Good luck.

These bikes need fixing to make them handle safely and well, no doubt.
But when they are sorted they are a lovely thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts