Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue, you'll still have to sand the areas to be painted and just prep it like any other surface. If you are painting areas and leaving some areas as exposed carbon fiber, you should wet and dry sand the exposed areas with 400-600 grit paper and then clear coat over the whole thing.

That would be my approach.

Not carbon fiber, but I'm in the process of painting my 1299 track bodywork.

When I'm finished, I'm going to be painting my DB2 track bodywork which is all carbon.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Real simple setup. It's 7'W x 8'L x 6.6'H. I bought 3 packs of clip together laminate flooring ($45), a 30" screen door ($32), a 30" x 20" x 1" filter and a cheap fan ($20).

I positioned it up against the garage door, which I open when I'm painting.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
It can be quite a problem sometimes. Depending on age and quality it can be full of thousands of pin holes which can be painful to fill, especially if it's to clear only. Good luck.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,653 Posts
It can be quite a problem sometimes. Depending on age and quality it can be full of thousands of pin holes which can be painful to fill, especially if it's to clear only. Good luck.
Yes, good luck with the pinholes, I just final paint coated my SR500 project cafe racer CF front mudguard ready for clear coat.... pinholes are a fact of life with CF unless you lay down a useless heavy gel coat first and then your defeating the point of carbon i.e. super light weight.
Real carbon fiber has pin holes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Did you lay this up yourself Davy? Did you bag it? A clear gel coat first gets rid of most if not all pinholes. If you've bagged it then you obviously have a pump. De-gas gel coat before applying.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,653 Posts
No I don't vacuum bag, just do a very careful and thorough job of layup.
A hot air gun gets rid of most all of the bubbles then just wiping around the layup with a gloved finger gets the rest.
All the body work and oil tank on the Daytona were made this way.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ego, thanks for the info. This is going to help me a lot. Your bike looks great too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts