Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really interested in the OEM ones- even though I've read the mixed reviews. My dealer wants $900 for them and has them in stock- but man, that's a lot for some "bags". I've only seen one set in the classifieds section but it had been sold...
Any (speculative obviously) advice on whether I should wait for another set to pop up in the classifieds, or is that an extremely rare occurrence? Or are they really not worth the money, even at a discounted price?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Really interested in the OEM ones- even though I've read the mixed reviews. My dealer wants $900 for them and has them in stock- but man, that's a lot for some "bags". I've only seen one set in the classifieds section but it had been sold...
Any (speculative obviously) advice on whether I should wait for another set to pop up in the classifieds, or is that an extremely rare occurrence? Or are they really not worth the money, even at a discounted price?

Thanks in advance!
Assuming you have a GT. $900 is high although with the dollar tanking this could be the newly "adjusted" list price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Panniers

I found a set on Craigslist. Occasionally they show up on eBay. I don't think I would be happy with them if I had paid full price.

They do look good and they fill up the empty space between the wheel and the fender. Ducati recommends not exceeding 75mph when the bags are fitted. A passenger may not be comfortable riding with the bags on.

Hope this helps.

Bruce in the keys

·
Registered
714 Posts
wait for a used set,there way overpriced.but they are super functional,been well over a hundred mph with a passenger and not a complaint.easy on easy off.

·
svc.bmh.mc
191 Posts
Even though I'm a fan of the GT1000 factory panniers, I don't think I could deal with a $900 price tag :eek:.

I was fortunate enough to find a used set in perfect condition. The easy on/easy off feature is what makes these bags so nice. I have also been over 100-mph without issue.

My wife is only 5'3", yet the bags do not interfere with her legs/seating position at all.

If you find a set at a price you can deal with, I trust you will be pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have them. I like the way they look, BUT, do not think they are worth anything close to $900. They are not leather, they do not wear well if they see any adverse weather at all. After a year of use mine still look pretty good, but I have been very careful with them. I recently posted pics on the GT touring thread. Not sure about other options but I suggest you look around. They come up on ebay from time to time.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I have seen the panniers but for the money I'd never buy them. Personally I think they're ugly. All they are are basically one open cavity to put stuff in. I purchased the cortech tourmaster saddles and tail bag. Lots of room, compartments for wallet, keys, etc. Very happy with them. It took a while to get them positioned the way I wanted them, but now easy to put on/take off. And for only $200 for both. You could buy them 4-5 times for the price of the ducati panniers. If you are just puttering around the city just to get out of the house and take a ride without the panniers, the ugly brackets are still mounted (from what I can tell). Do a quick search and you'll see some of the cortech bags.

·
Registered
714 Posts
come on now the brackets aint that ugly,I love the way the bags unclip and you can carry them off as luggage,plus I wind up useing the brackets as a bungie tie down spot when not using the bags.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My take is that the bags are really well designed, but not that well manufactured. Not worth $900 in my opinion, unless you REALLY need them now, or just have money to burn.

They do look good (IMHO) and work well. I took mine across country and back with plenty of triple digit runs and found no problems. I treated them with some boot leather waterproofing material, and they held strong against days straight of heavy rain. My girlfriend, at 5'7", actually prefers riding passenger with the bags on. She says the make her feel more "hooked in".

The only negative is that I just don't think they will hold up to years of regular use and abuse. They just don't seem that ruggedly constructed: thin leather in the handles, cheap locks, etc. Years of occasional use and short tours, yes. But I'd be really suprised if they last that long for heavy, daily use. If that's what your looking for, aftermarket bags may be a better, if slightly less stylish, solution. Otherwise, I'd wait and try to score a used set, or find a dealer willing to discount them a bit.

·
svc.bmh.mc
191 Posts
Come on now the brackets aint that ugly.
Besides - the brackets do a great job of filling up the comically large gap between the rear wheel and fender!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Besides - the brackets do a great job of filling up the comically large gap between the rear wheel and fender!

At first, the gap seemed wierd to me too. But now, that is my favourite feature of the bike. For some reason, I'm drawn to that wide rear tire for everyone to see that it is indeed a sport bike. My buddy with a 09 monster 696, seemed to make fun of the gap and say that it's an old mans bike, but I googled an image with a female riding the 696 and sent it to him. Now he wants the Monster 1100 cause he thinks he drives a girls bike. Kind of funny!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Now he wants the Monster 1100 cause he thinks he drives a girls bike. Kind of funny!
Sounds like your buddy is too concerned with what other people ride instead of choosing a bike according to what he wants for himself.

He needs to grow up (no matter how old he actually is). :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like your buddy is too concerned with what other people ride instead of choosing a bike according to what he wants for himself.

He needs to grow up (no matter how old he actually is). :p
I didn't mean it to sound superficial, I was trying to display how two "grown up" friends tease eachother.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Every time I ride, I spend the whole time thinking "Does my butt look too big on this seat???" That takes my mind off the tremendous gap between the fender and tire...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts