Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a couple scuffs on the plastic portion on my left bag. Went down slowly on soft pavement onto gravel.
So, I got out the sand paper and got to work. BAD MOVE. Now the scuffs are gone, but the plastic has turned white-ish as if I had just put paste wax on it. After the sanding, I rinsed it off and even added a liberal amount of ArmorAll-like treatment to it. Still looks...well...sanded.
Had anyone resurfaced a bag to where it looks good? What can be done?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've never tried this, but I read some posts on a Toyota Tacoma forum site to remove the white on scratches in the plastic dash panels use the heat from a lighter on them.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Maguires makes a product for black plastic trim that works excellent. One or two treatments will last for years, makes the black part of the bags look like new again. I recommend it for all ST panniers, scuffed or not. It smells like toxic crap while it's being applied though.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call. I already have Back to Black (Autosol makes this one) in one of the garage cabinets. I have that and Forever Black. I just figured that since the Griots "ArmorAll" stuff didn't even phase it...
Anyway, I'll give it a shot today and will report back.
As usual...THANKS.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Maguires makes a product for black plastic trim that works excellent. One or two treatments will last for years, makes the black part of the bags look like new again. I recommend it for all ST panniers, scuffed or not. It smells like toxic crap while it's being applied though.
+1 on this stuff, I have not used it on scuffed plastic but it would be my first choice if I needed to.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I used a random orbit sadner with 150 grit and smoothed things out a bit. Then tried Back to Black. No-go. Was very similar to thy typical white aromorall stuff. BUT I did use the Forever Black . This stuff is the ticket. It goes on and looks very similar to shoe polish. Even the applicator is shoe polish-like. It blackened things up nicely. WhereI sanded is still a bit more rough than I prefer, so I may go to 400 grit and see how I like it.
Even with the 150 it lookes very good.
Thanks for the reminder...

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Good deal.

Yeah, you need the dye to make a permanent fix. Forever black is good stuff.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah, you need the dye to make a permanent fix. Forever black is good stuff.
I'm not so sure about that. The Meguires stuff is clear to milky white and it really works well on panniers and pannier scuffs. I've had one application on for at least three years and it still looks great. But like I said, it seems really toxic in smell and feel.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. The Meguires stuff is clear to milky white and it really works well on panniers and pannier scuffs. I've had one application on for at least three years and it still looks great. But like I said, it seems really toxic in smell and feel.
I'll have to check out the Meguires then next time. :)

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I haven't attempted to try to make my panniers look better after the drop(s), as I really don't care, but my wife told me that a buddy of ours (before I knew him) repaired some old saddlebags from an earlier Honda ST or a Honda Pacific Coast. To get an original pebble-grian texture, he used a heat gun and either coarse sandpaper or emery cloth to get the texture. I may try it, one day, but I'm in no hurry with all the other projects I have.

·
Registered
183 Posts
PIC ME PIC ME I KNOW

seriously though this works really well for the plastic parts mimics the texture very well and its cheap. if it gets scratche just recoat.
several coats are better than one thick one to get the texture right
used this on some very bad road rash on second hand panniers and now just need a red cover.
fixed

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
My saddlebags were scuffed when I got the bike so I gently rubbed the scuffs down with #2000 steel wool to lower the scuffs but not damage the pebble grain black finish of the plastic. I then painted the saddlebags with a few coats of Krylon Fusion black paint for plastic. (This brings back the black color to the bags but leaves a "spray painted" looking uneven finish that's too glossy). Multiple coats of the Krylon will fill in the scratches a little bit too.

I then sprayed SEM brand Color Coat low luster clear #13023 flexible coat over the dry Krylon finish. The SEM #13023 is a very low gloss vinyl and hard plastic clear coat for automotive interior sold at auto body supply shops:

(http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=190)

The low luster clear #13023 evens out and dulls the Krylon black and brings the saddlebag back to the correct factory plastic look and sheen. I'm very happy with the result.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts