Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Pannier Rails.

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Stick 
#1 ·
So I've fitted the panniers I swore I would never buy and remade the fender eliminator. I pulled off the blinkers from the frame and I am left with these frame ends sticking out. (Thanks to Kirkby for the pic).

Are they useful? I am in serious danger of cutting them off with a hacksaw. Has anyone done this before?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes..........

..........alot of ST owners have done it. I haven't done it myself but if I did I would cut just behind the little bumper that the bag rubs against.
Gregg

#4 ·
Where are the turn signals mounted now? I would leave the frame ends alone. The appearance with them left "as is" is no less detracting than the depressions on the bags wear the blinkers used to be. And I'm sure you aren't going to fill those in with bondo are you? Plus if you decide to get rid of the mounts, resale will be assured without the mutilation. No harm can come leaving them stick out like that.

#6 ·
Where are the turn signals mounted now? I would leave the frame ends alone. The appearance with them left "as is" is no less detracting than the depressions on the bags wear the blinkers used to be.
Sorry I was at work.
Just knocked up this out of stainless.
There is 5mm gap between the rails and the blinkers.
Pretty sure its illegal because the plate is recessed way back.
They kind of stick out.

Attachments

#7 ·
Cut em !
They look horrible left standard when the panniers are not mounted and make no difference to the structural strength.
Prise the end cap off and reuse but be gentle you may need some releasing agent (WD40 ?)

#8 ·
I've never understood the appeal of relocating the blinkers especially on the ST's. Then again I never ride my ST without the hard luggage, and those divots in the luggage look really silly if the blinkers aren't there! I leave the luggage on because I think the frames look really goofy empty.

I guess I've come to terms with the ST not being the sexiest Duc out there, and I put up with the clunky bits because of the functionality of the bike.

#9 ·
...I guess I've come to terms with the ST not being the sexiest Duc out there, and I put up with the clunky bits because of the functionality of the bike.
That's true. It is what it is and there's nothing wrong with that. But we ride motorcycles and that makes us predisposed to tinkering. What I did was I put different signals on the pannier racks and leave them attached to the bars when I remove the racks from the back. I bought an extra set of turn signals and mounted them on the stock fender where the existing holes are for such mounting. Removing the pannier racks also allows for rotating the pipes up to the "sport" position. It takes about 15 minutes to remove the rear side covers, etc. but having the extra set of turn signals wired similar makes it easy to pop them on and plug in.

#12 ·
I've never understood the appeal of relocating the blinkers especially on the ST's. Then again I never ride my ST without the hard luggage, and those divots in the luggage look really silly if the blinkers aren't there! I leave the luggage on because I think the frames look really goofy empty.
Yeah I use my bike mainly for sports. The panniers will only get used when I go away a couple of times a year. The trip from here to the Moto GP is about 2500km plus each way. I just wanted waterproof bags.

The relocator was designed so I can mount and remove the frames without having to worry about the blinkers. This brings the job of mounting the bags down to about 20mins.

#14 ·
Yup, do it all the time! Up if bags are off, down if luggage is on. There's an extra hole on the panier brackets...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.