Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've fitted the panniers I swore I would never buy and remade the fender eliminator. I pulled off the blinkers from the frame and I am left with these frame ends sticking out. (Thanks to Kirkby for the pic).

Are they useful? I am in serious danger of cutting them off with a hacksaw. Has anyone done this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes..........

..........alot of ST owners have done it. I haven't done it myself but if I did I would cut just behind the little bumper that the bag rubs against.
Gregg

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gregg,

I was thinking about just behind the circular rubber lug. Just not sure because I am wondering if I need that bit to bungy strap stuff to the rear seat of my bike.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So I've fitted the panniers I swore I would never buy and remade the fender eliminator. I pulled off the blinkers from the frame and I am left with these frame ends sticking out. (Thanks to Kirkby for the pic).

Are they useful? I am in serious danger of cutting them off with a hacksaw. Has anyone done this before?
Where are the turn signals mounted now? I would leave the frame ends alone. The appearance with them left "as is" is no less detracting than the depressions on the bags wear the blinkers used to be. And I'm sure you aren't going to fill those in with bondo are you? Plus if you decide to get rid of the mounts, resale will be assured without the mutilation. No harm can come leaving them stick out like that.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are the turn signals mounted now? I would leave the frame ends alone. The appearance with them left "as is" is no less detracting than the depressions on the bags wear the blinkers used to be.
Sorry I was at work.
Just knocked up this out of stainless.
There is 5mm gap between the rails and the blinkers.
Pretty sure its illegal because the plate is recessed way back.
They kind of stick out.

Attachments

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Cut em !
They look horrible left standard when the panniers are not mounted and make no difference to the structural strength.
Prise the end cap off and reuse but be gentle you may need some releasing agent (WD40 ?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've never understood the appeal of relocating the blinkers especially on the ST's. Then again I never ride my ST without the hard luggage, and those divots in the luggage look really silly if the blinkers aren't there! I leave the luggage on because I think the frames look really goofy empty.

I guess I've come to terms with the ST not being the sexiest Duc out there, and I put up with the clunky bits because of the functionality of the bike.

·
Registered
455 Posts
...I guess I've come to terms with the ST not being the sexiest Duc out there, and I put up with the clunky bits because of the functionality of the bike.
That's true. It is what it is and there's nothing wrong with that. But we ride motorcycles and that makes us predisposed to tinkering. What I did was I put different signals on the pannier racks and leave them attached to the bars when I remove the racks from the back. I bought an extra set of turn signals and mounted them on the stock fender where the existing holes are for such mounting. Removing the pannier racks also allows for rotating the pipes up to the "sport" position. It takes about 15 minutes to remove the rear side covers, etc. but having the extra set of turn signals wired similar makes it easy to pop them on and plug in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
But we ride motorcycles and that makes us predisposed to tinkering.
Oh yes, for sure! I've done plenty of tinkering on my ST2 and other bikes. I just bought LT's Dzus kit so I won't have to dismantle the whole friggin' bike just to get to the battery/replace the front plug/check the valves/etc.! I put bar risers and a GPS mount on, I've got unused seats and slip-ons stacked up in my garage, and so on...

This forum has been a great help with my tinkering. If it sounded like I was saying "don't cut off the arms" that's only because I maybe didn't express myself clearly. I only meant to say "I'm not cutting off the arms (at this point in time anyway)". Obviously others can make different decisions on how to modify their bikes. Some other posters made good points about resale, but maybe the OP doesn't care about that because he's going to keep his ST forever!

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
That's true. It is what it is and there's nothing wrong with that. But we ride motorcycles and that makes us predisposed to tinkering. What I did was I put different signals on the pannier racks and leave them attached to the bars when I remove the racks from the back. I bought an extra set of turn signals and mounted them on the stock fender where the existing holes are for such mounting. Removing the pannier racks also allows for rotating the pipes up to the "sport" position. It takes about 15 minutes to remove the rear side covers, etc. but having the extra set of turn signals wired similar makes it easy to pop them on and plug in.
You dont need to remove the pannier rails to raise the silencers.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never understood the appeal of relocating the blinkers especially on the ST's. Then again I never ride my ST without the hard luggage, and those divots in the luggage look really silly if the blinkers aren't there! I leave the luggage on because I think the frames look really goofy empty.
Yeah I use my bike mainly for sports. The panniers will only get used when I go away a couple of times a year. The trip from here to the Moto GP is about 2500km plus each way. I just wanted waterproof bags.

The relocator was designed so I can mount and remove the frames without having to worry about the blinkers. This brings the job of mounting the bags down to about 20mins.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You dont need to remove the pannier rails to raise the silencers.
I removed the rails just to try a different look. But you can leave the racks and bags on and still raise them? I did not observe that possibility before taking them off. Thanks, I did not realize that!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Yup, do it all the time! Up if bags are off, down if luggage is on. There's an extra hole on the panier brackets...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts