Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning people,

So as per my recent post about getting my bike back on the road after my van failed it’s MOT (Annual inspection) I’m now toying with the idea of putting my pannier racks back on, but don’t want the hassle of wiring the rack back up for the indicators. Has anyone modified their Nonfango racks to do this?

Also, do any of you use internal bags for your panniers? I have some money left over from Christmas, and I’m wondering about as pair of these which claim to be for ST4S (yet they look identical to Multistrada ones also on Amazon)

Are there any other options available?

Cheers for any feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,575 Posts
I have not used the form fitting liners in my panniers, so no help with what you have pictured. What are you planning to carry in them? If I use mine for going to the store or the gym or just a ride where I want to carry water or an extra article of clothing. I just use whatever soft bags are appropriate for the trip. A shopping bag or gym bag / small duffel fits in the pannier easily. Those form fitting liners are neat, but a bit of overkill IMHO. Maybe useful if you're doing a multi-day trip and plan to be in and out of hotel rooms, but the panniers come off for that.

The directional lamp wiring question. If you mean that you have pulled the directionals out of the racks to use on the rear mud guard, my solution is to not do that. It's a challenge to get the wires routed back in to those racks. Much easier to have a second set of directional lights (eBay or the dealer, very inexpensive), to use on the mud guard, leaving the lamps in the pannier racks alone. There are also a few threads here where people have made modifications so the racks fit with the lamps still on the mud guard. If i remember correctly, it involved mounting the lamps where the license plate light is located so they are closer together. The question has been raised about vehicle inspections though. Seems some places have a minimum distance those lamps are to be separated. If you mount them closer together, be sure you can still pass inspection.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,616 Posts
RKA, a forum sponsor, has pannier liner bags that will work. They're not form fitting, but they fit pretty well, nevertheless. I have a set myself. I find them useful for packing clothes when on a short trip, so I still have use of the hard bags when I need them. They ship worldwide.

I couldn't find the exact model on the website, so it would be best to contact Richard @Richardrka and tell him it's for an ST. He'll know right away which ones you need.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,709 Posts
I use a set from Motopouch. Not sure if they are still around. I keep small stuff (chain lube, rags, bungees, faceshield...) in one so the stuff doesn’t fall out each time I open the pannier. The other I use for clothes when traveling. Overall, I find them useful...not essential.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not used the form fitting liners in my panniers, so no help with what you have pictured. What are you planning to carry in them? If I use mine for going to the store or the gym or just a ride where I want to carry water or an extra article of clothing. I just use whatever soft bags are appropriate for the trip. A shopping bag or gym bag / small duffel fits in the pannier easily. Those form fitting liners are neat, but a bit of overkill IMHO. Maybe useful if you're doing a multi-day trip and plan to be in and out of hotel rooms, but the panniers come off for that.
Yes it will for extended days away from home, mostly at work, but also when I go away on course later this year, so I’d rather have weighed up the options of possible soft luggage for the inside the panniers, vs using bin bags, plastic shopping bags etc...

The directional lamp wiring question. If you mean that you have pulled the directionals out of the racks to use on the rear mud guard, my solution is to not do that. It's a challenge to get the wires routed back in to those racks. Much easier to have a second set of directional lights (eBay or the dealer, very inexpensive), to use on the mud guard, leaving the lamps in the pannier racks alone. There are also a few threads here where people have made modifications so the racks fit with the lamps still on the mud guard. If i remember correctly, it involved mounting the lamps where the license plate light is located so they are closer together. The question has been raised about vehicle inspections though. Seems some places have a minimum distance those lamps are to be separated. If you mount them closer together, be sure you can still pass inspection.
This is what I was thinking, keeping the lights attached to the original tail tidy, but have the ability to fit/remove the pannier racks without having to re-wire them (unless I come across a set on eBay that are pre wired and at a reasonable price)

·
Mr Leakered
8,786 Posts
I got a set of the Duc liners when I bought my ST. It was years until I finally used them. When I did, I was wholly underwhelmed. They do fit perfectly, but the shape is so odd that they are a PITA to pack / unpack outside of the cases since they refuse to stand up. So, organizing stuff neatly inside is difficult. About the only positive that I have is that the little pocket that fills the inner relief in the side case makes a nice area for toiletries. No need for a dopp kit.

I would use some aftermarket set or do like was suggested above and get a slightly bigger duffel that will stuff nicely inside.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a set of aftermarket fittted liners (TWM, TMW, something like that), but I believe that the company no longer exists. They are well made, and even embroidered my initials on them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have only one formed liner for my panniers. At first, I thought I'd have to go out and get another, but after doing some assessment on the way I pack, I found having just the one is really nice. Here's why....
If I go on a trip that requires only a single night stay per destination, I pack the things I need for a simple overnight in the liner bag. This way, at the end of the day, I am only bringing in just the one bag to the hotel room. Everything else stays locked on the bike.
If I arrive at a destination where we will be for a few days of "day-rides", I will take off all the cases and bring them inside. I reset what I need for the day rides into the top case and roll with that one alone for those rides. It has proven to be a great asset.
In short, before you spend the cash on a set or additional liners that you may not need, take the time to really look at how and where you pack your gear and see if re-thinking that may be in order.
I'm not the best adventure- packer, but I'm also not afraid to re-look at things from time to time.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Check out this mod I did for my ST:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out this mod I did for my ST:

So with the copper tube in place, how do you bolt the indicators together? Do you run a long bolt through and stick a nut on the other end?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I’ve been getting the bike ready slowly for me to use to get back to work on, and I forgotten just how rusty my nonfango racks are, they are in desperate need of some TLC, of which I have no time to do at the minute. The indicators were threaded back through the racks for the time being until I can get around to modding them. Got some new bolts (temporary measure) that are a tad to long to attach the rack to the bike, so will have to cut them down before final fit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@ChrisJ748, If you’re still watching this thread, I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago and bought the liners you show in your initial post. They fit quite well although not perfectly, and are nicely made. I’ve taken a couple of trips with them since and I’m happy with them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention that my bike came with one OEM Ducati bag liner and it’s not a nice to me as the Amazon link liners - so again I’d recommend them.

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Hi Chris, This is Richard from RKA. We do not make formfiting liners for your moto like we do for the strada BUT our generic RKA Liners 8x12x15 fit pretty darn well.
They come in Black with Silver piping and you can order optional colors if you like

Questions? Feel free to PM me, email or call me [email protected], 707 836 7659

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ChrisJ748, If you’re still watching this thread, I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago and bought the liners you show in your initial post. They fit quite well although not perfectly, and are nicely made. I’ve taken a couple of trips with them since and I’m happy with them.
Thankfully I still watch these posts, though not as much this week as I’ve been on course.

Thanks for the feedback, I think that’s all the info I need really, as someone else said their not form fitting, but suitable for what I need

1 - 18 of 18 Posts