Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, ST (and Ducati) newbie here. Just got my '98 ST2 home - only downside is, no bags (or the mounts).

I may have a line on a set from an '04 ST4s. I tried reading up on the changes to the bags over the years, and I did see that the underlying manufacturer of the equipment changed, but I didn't find a straight, unambiguous answer to whether or not the fitment against the bike itself changed.

So do I need to keep an eye out specifically for older bags, or will the newer ones also fit my ST2?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't believe there's any difference of how they mount to the bike. When you mix Nofango cases with Givi mounts or vise versa is when you have problems. I have Nofango side bags with a Givi top case on my '04 with no problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
proitlia has a close out on new OEM panniers 40% off. Corse1 posted recently.

Ducati ST 2004-06 Red Hard Bags (96722001AA) | Pro Italia

Red is listed on their site however i called them and they have other colors for the same price. I ordred a set of matte grey. It is a mystery to me if they are the non fango or givi ones. Will know when they arrive. I will be selling my set of 02 non fango's (matte grey). let me know if your are interested. I can send some photos and we can figure out a fair price. Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
395 Posts
proitlia has a close out on new OEM panniers 40% off. Corse1 posted recently.

Ducati ST 2004-06 Red Hard Bags (96722001AA) | Pro Italia

Red is listed on their site however i called them and they have other colors for the same price. I ordred a set of matte grey. It is a mystery to me if they are the non fango or givi ones. Will know when they arrive. I will be selling my set of 02 non fango's (matte grey). let me know if your are interested. I can send some photos and we can figure out a fair price. Thanks, Craig
I got a set of red; unfortunately, I'm in DC on business so hopefully the boxes don't get lost until my return.

off-topic: hey, I'm staying in Crystal City...hope you didn't get your power knocked out or anything bad happening to your bike. That storm was a doozy; reminds me of a similar storm here in December '93.

EDIT: dammit, they dropped the price an additional $100!! :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
power out until 5pm today. inside temp of house was 89 deg when i arrived back after leaving after the storm. thanks for asking.

·
Registered
395 Posts
power out until 5pm today. inside temp of house was 89 deg when i arrived back after leaving after the storm. thanks for asking.
hope things settle back in quickly; Pentagon City mall was surreal on Saturday, with "refugees" huddled around every power outlet, charging phones and laptops and escaping this ridiculous heat. Other friends just got out of town. On the one hand, I wish I had ridden my ST4 here from Nashville instead of flying in, but then the heat has been so bad (and I ride ATGATT) that it would be hell riding into DC. I just ended up renting a car for the duration (I get mild claustrophobia in crowded subway trains).

Re: bags from Pro Italia. I would definitely call in the order rather than just order online. They don't have them in stock; they're getting them shipped in, which takes two weeks. But I'd jump on their deal - I thought it was a screaming deal for $750; with the further price reduction it's a no-brainer.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I don't believe there's any difference of how they mount to the bike. When you mix Nofango cases with Givi mounts or vise versa is when you have problems. I have Nofango side bags with a Givi top case on my '04 with no problems.
The only difference is the top fastening which faces the other way round and you can adjust that according to the panniers you have with a little tweeking with a file. I would recommend some sort of thread lock as you dont want this catch to come loose...(Ses how I learned Paul :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The only difference is the top fastening which faces the other way round and you can adjust that according to the panniers you have with a little tweeking with a file. I would recommend some sort of thread lock as you dont want this catch to come loose...(Ses how I learned Paul :)
Yep, I have two nonfango cases and one of each Givi/nonfango pannier brackets. I just flipped the top locking catch on one bracket upside down to fit the nonfango case. No filing necessary for me.

Although now you mention it I might just have to check the retaining screws for this catch!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd like to throw this somewhat crazy question out there. Will a nonfango pannier cover (only the painted part) interchange with a givi pannier. thx, Craig

·
Registered
395 Posts
brand new Givis arrived, through the killer deal at Pro Italia:

·
Registered
395 Posts
slapped these babies on. waited until 2am, as that was as cool as it was going to get - not that this is particularly hard, but any outdoor labor is just miserable these days.

I just don't know how waterproof these Givis are, but at least the bike is now complete - I don't see too many STs without cases, so I'm a little curious as to why mine never had them.

It was so hot today that the faster I rode, the hotter I got. It was like standing in front of a blast furnace. Turned around and went straight home.

I now need to find a license plate holder - while I was digging around I removed the entire stock assembly, which is just too big/too heavy. But I'm falling even more in love with this baby - I was away for two weeks on business, and when I got back, she started on the first turnover. I'm almost wondering if something is wrong - it starts up so quickly. Every Ducati I've previously experienced would go through this wheezing and coughing before coming to life....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, got a set on order with Pro Italia myself now.

Red actually works for me, as the ST2 I picked up had been fully redone in red at some point. (At least I'm assuming it was redone, based on it truly being a '98 and reading that they didn't have red '98s stateside. Totally professional; I didn't consider it wasn't original until I started reading up on the detailed history of the ST series.)

·
Still needs a life.
12,612 Posts
The side cases have always been waterproof for me, even in hard rains.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
The side cases have always been waterproof for me, even in hard rains.
The second line of defence is the liner bags which make life simple when arriving at your accomdation. As Bill says , never had an issue with water ingress.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
There was 1 year when Ducati was charging extra for the bags. I think it was MY2000. They were trying to hold the price flat for the ST2 at $11,995.00 usd. Latter years, they were removing other stuff to hold the price (adj. front forks, then the adj. rear ride-height rod), but the bags came back as part of the buy-price.

Another reason could be that the original owner just refused the bags. My ST2 was sort of like this-- when I bought it with 3500 miles, the bags were in their un-opened boxes! At least the owner was smart enough to grab them--price for the bike was the same whether he took them or not! He just didn't want them mounted to the bike--go figure.

·
Registered
395 Posts
well, that would explain it. that's a 2000 ST4 I've got, and the bags as a $1000 option could easily have been refused.

The Pro Italia deal was pretty sweet for brand new hardware and bags, I have to say.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Hey, I'm curious, did you have to alter the bracket holes at all to allow them to bolt into the frame area? When I installed my new brackets on the ST2, I recall NEEDING to elongate the holes on the upper part of both L+R brackets. Just wondering if the newer stuff was made more accurate?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey, I'm curious, did you have to alter the bracket holes at all to allow them to bolt into the frame area? When I installed my new brackets on the ST2, I recall NEEDING to elongate the holes on the upper part of both L+R brackets. Just wondering if the newer stuff was made more accurate?
Newer brackets were not better. The ones on my 2005 ST3 had to have the same modification done by the dealer during installation. They are still a pain to reinstall on the occasions when I do remove them.
Bill W.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts