Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was a part we could get to extend the stock panniers to hold more. I searched but am lost. Don't know what I should be searching for. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
374 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the larger pannier lids.

Reactions: cndctrdj

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found what looks like it will work from your reply. Any vendor on here sell them?

·
Registered
374 Posts
My bike came with the big lids and I bought the standard lids fro Pro-Italia. I am sure you could order them from your dealer or I see them on E-bay a lot.

Marc

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I always try and get something from forum vendors first.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not for the 2015 DVT, only for the model 2010-2014.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Go here:
2014 multistradagt ducatiomaha by Ducati Omaha

Look at pages 139 through 141. It's the fat covers for the GT. You replace the narrow S covers with the GT covers and there ya go. These guys are easy to deal with, and with a little bit of study you can find out how much the parts cost and how to order them. I use these guys and they do just fine.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you think 360 is worth it. Or do we have better options

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Do you think 360 is worth it. Or do we have better options
I can usually get 10-15% off most accessories through my local Ducati dealer but I've purchased two bikes through them so they usually treat me pretty well with parts discounts.

There really are no other options unless you go with aftermarket panniers which would require special mounting solution and probably cost even more money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd avoid the 73L pannier option personally. They stick way out, much wider than the handle bars.

Get the trunk if you don't have it. If you do, learn to pack less. I travelled cross country with just the trunk and the smaller panniers. Well, I did strap a pair of sneakers to the back of the seat. I almost never wore them, though. But I thought it would be nice to get out of the boots once in a while when I was off the bike.

Also, if you live in California (as I do), the wide bags are a really bad idea if you like to laneshare at all.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'd avoid the 73L pannier option personally. They stick way out, much wider than the handle bars.

Get the trunk if you don't have it. If you do, learn to pack less. I travelled cross country with just the trunk and the smaller panniers. Well, I did strap a pair of sneakers to the back of the seat. I almost never wore them, though. But I thought it would be nice to get out of the boots once in a while when I was off the bike.

Also, if you live in California (as I do), the wide bags are a really bad idea if you like to laneshare at all.
Agreed. I have the top case and a smaller 33L Givi top case which I use for 99% of my riding (commuting). It works great for that and it is perfect for that task. I've yet to use the panniers despite my intentions of taking this bike on longer rides... Oh well. :|

·
Registered
602 Posts
Rubbish.
The big bags are a thumb-width wider than the widest point of the bar assembly. That point happens to be the mirrors.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
The point is, you already have the smaller cases so you can ignore the above comments about the 73's being too wide. You will swap the 73 covers on when you are heading on an extended trip. (or at least when you are heading out of the city, away from the crowded freeways) I have done a couple of 5000+ mile trips with the 73's and one thing that I never ever thought was "I wish the rear bags were narrower". When I am on a long trip I tend to be in places where there are few, if any vehicles to pass. A lot of the time I am the only vehicle for miles. The extra cargo space is quite nice. You can use the straps to hold things in the "bike side" of the bags, and those big outer lids can swallow a useful amount that is not that difficult to hold in place as you shut the case.

I ride most of the time with the bags off and hanging in my garage. They are easy enough to take off and put on. Apparently to swap the covers you just have to drive out two pins at the bottom so you can have the best of both worlds for $360. Considering that $360 won't buy much of anything in hard luggage what the heck? No brainer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I'm looking for a wider bag is for work. The things I carry don't wit well in the case now. Odd shaped things. The top case is an idea. But the passenger doesn't like them. I think I'll end up getting the side case extentions after the holidays when my bank account is a little bit happier.

Unless anyone else has another idea

Again thanks for all the help and opinions

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is interesting to compare pillion feedback since it was mentioned in a couple responses that passengers do not like the topcase. My wife won't ride with me UNLESS I have the topcase on... she feels MUCH more secure with it to lean against and fears she will fall off w/o it!

·
Registered
384 Posts
It is interesting to compare pillion feedback since it was mentioned in a couple responses that passengers do not like the topcase. My wife won't ride with me UNLESS I have the topcase on... she feels MUCH more secure with it to lean against and fears she will fall off w/o it!
My wife is the same way. I know she loves it because usually after about an hour on the bike, a feel her helmet smack into the back of mine - yup, she fell asleep again. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts