Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Just bought a brand new set of panniers, brackets & blinker set on Ebay, but there are no nuts, bolts washers included.

Can anyone tell me what fasteners I need to attach to my ST2?

And or how and where they attach, thanks

Thanks in advance,

Craig

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Page 98 and 99 of the parts manual (well, for my 2003 ST4S).
Parts manual can be downloaded from Ducati.com.

3 772.5.008.1A Screw 4 These are the bolts that bolt to the frame
6 775.5.002.1A Screw 2 These bolt the brackets to the pass. foot reat bracket.

Not sure what size #3 is, but they are fairly large, and they're a hex head, not an allen key. Note that you might be filing the holes on the brackets in the bracket-to-frame area. They never seem to line up...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi guys,

Just bought a brand new set of panniers, brackets & blinker set on Ebay, but there are no nuts, bolts washers included.

Can anyone tell me what fasteners I need to attach to my ST2?

And or how and where they attach, thanks

Thanks in advance,

Craig

G'day, Here is the fitting instructions etc..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much guys, I am sorted know, I knew you would come thru.

Craig

·
Registered
190 Posts
Size matters

Make sure the bolts are not any longer than necessary. I posted a few months ago that mine hit the chain guard and broke it. At least its that way on MY '04-'07'.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again, in the instructions they mention some spacers, can anyone tell me what they are?

Will a couple of washers do the job?

Thanks,

Craig

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Hi again, in the instructions they mention some spacers, can anyone tell me what they are?

Will a couple of washers do the job?

Thanks,

Craig
The spacers are supposed to keep the bolts from sticking out and hitting the swing arm when you go over a bump. Otherwise, this is what happens:

Make sure the bolts are not any longer than necessary. I posted a few months ago that mine hit the chain guard and broke it. At least its that way on MY '04-'07'.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Washers work. 5mm thick. The OEM one is a black anodised 5mm thick Al. spacer.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Washers work. 5mm thick. The OEM one is a black anodised 5mm thick Al. spacer.
Thanks Stick, and good to see you've got a handle on metric, its piss easy really:D

·
Registered
887 Posts
The spacers are supposed to keep the bolts from sticking out and hitting the swing arm when you go over a bump.
The same thing could have been achieved with shorter bolts.

The 5mm spacers are designed to shim the silencers outboard. The longer bolt is there to accomodate the spacer. I have found the spacers are not needed on either of my ST4s's (one with DP pipes, one OEM). I just grind the bolts shorter (or they could be replaced with new bolts).

In this way the pipe is tucked in 5mm closer and your top speed will be faster ;).

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
The same thing could have been achieved with shorter bolts.

The 5mm spacers are designed to shim the silencers outboard. The longer bolt is there to accomodate the spacer. I have found the spacers are not needed on either of my ST4s's (one with DP pipes, one OEM). I just grind the bolts shorter (or they could be replaced with new bolts).

In this way the pipe is tucked in 5mm closer and your top speed will be faster ;).
There must be a difference in year models. Mike, what you are talking about is the same as on my ST3. One on each side that put the mufflers out to where they were when bolted to the hangers. If you look at the instructions posted on the link above, it shows a single spacer that is to be used on the left side between the footpeg bracket/hanger and the mounting bracket for the bags. Mine didn't come with that item or appear to need it ????

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I will have the brackets and panniers tomorrow, so I will start playing then.
Thanks for advice and I remember reading about bolts that were too long causing damage.

Regards,

Craig

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I believe the 5mm spacer is to prevent the bolt/threaded portion from protruding in too far and hitting either the chain guard, swingarm, or both.
I noticed my ST2 had a scar on the chain guard in this area. I was sure to use the spacer afterwards, or just use shorter bolts.
And if the spacer is placed incorrectly, it will place the left silencer outwards a bit more than the right one (using the tire as a reference for center).

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone, I fitted up the panniers last Wednesday night, no problems.
Instead of using a spacer I just used shorter bolts without issues.
I ordered TLC bag liners last Monday night(our time) and they shipped within 6 hours and arrived today within 9 days.
Fantastic product & service. It is very unsual these days to find such a great product & service.
I highly recommend as many others have on the thread I can't find.

Thumbs up for TLC Products www.tlcproducts.com

Craig

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gday.... What was the damage to oz?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
read #13

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sounds like you got the easy install craig. When I did mine the racks needed plenty of gentle persuasion to actually fit. Really could have used those instructions at the time.

Looking at a mod so I can strap luggage to the seat from the top of the panniers, like the shot in the attachment. I found it on another thread. Can't find anyone that stocks bungee buddies in oz, but may have found a viable alternative at the local chancery.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gday.... What was the damage to oz?
$45 us for the bags + $19 post worked out about $80 AUS dollars

Thanks Stick

Sounds like you got the easy install craig. When I did mine the racks needed plenty of gentle persuasion to actually fit. Really could have used those instructions at the time.

Looking at a mod so I can strap luggage to the seat from the top of the panniers, like the shot in the attachment. I found it on another thread. Can't find anyone that stocks bungee buddies in oz, but may have found a viable alternative at the local chancery.
The side I started on fought me all the way, then when I did the otherside in a different order, it practically fell on itself, so I went back to the first side and re did it and all was good.

I had the instructions, but being a typical male, I read them briefly and installed without reffering to them. My bike had a Ventura rack fitted so that had to be removed first. I used lanolin spray to lube the grommets and other relevant surfaces. Pretty easy in the end really.
I rode down to Sydney to see my Mum for her birthday on the weekend and didn't really notice a difference for them being there. At times the bike felt a little wind affected @ 120km/h on the freeway but not too bad, it may have been just cross winds, hard to say what the cause and effect was.

As for attaching other stuff across the seat you cannot go past AndyStrapz SMART STRAPS, you can attach them to the passenger peg brackets and to the upper pannier brackets. There is no need for other attachments or hooks.

www.andystrapz.com

Craig

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gday..

So you've left the Ventura off then?

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gday..

So you've left the Ventura off then?
Yes, won't be needing it, would you like to make me a genuine offer to sell it to you?

It is in perfect order, and will include the rack as well as grab handle when the rack is removed.

Craig

1 - 20 of 25 Posts