Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all over the web for a picture or an explanation as to how the factory panniers physically attach to the bike.

Can any of you guys help me out? Is there some kind of sub-frame that bolts to the bike and then the bags attach to it, or what?

Obviously, I don't already own a multi. What I'm trying to find out is what exactly comes with the pannier kit from DNA and if I would need to purchase any additional parts to attach them to the bike, if I get one.

Any info/pics/etc. is sincerely appreciated.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Are you asking about the current Multi or new Multi 1200? On the current there is a sub-frame that attaches to the rear of the frame and footpeg bracket.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I apologize for not being more clear in my request for info. I was talking about the pre-1200 (current) system.

Thank you very much for the help,

John

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
You can probably find pictures on the pic forum at multistrada.net

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you pick up a pannier kit from Ducati for the Multistrada it will include all the mounts (subframes as you call them) you'll need, as well as the panniers themselves. You don't need to buy two kits separately, as in a pannier kit and a hardware kit. If you buy a kit used or from a private party, make sure it's complete in every way, panniers, mounts, hardware, keys, etc. BTW, they're great! I've had 'em since day one and really make the Multi a great bike for extended trips.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!

Thank you all for the great info and help - as always.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question and point me in the right direction. :)

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
849 Posts
I got mine used from another member and they are a cinch to install. Operating on memory, I think each side bracket uses four bolts and the back bracket involves two. When I got mine, it didn't come with any directions. Regardless, I was able to figure it out and mount everything in about 15 minutes.

I don't see too many on here for sale. However, on the multistrada.net site you can find them used every once in a while.

Needless to say, they are great to have on the bike. They hold a great deal of items for day trips (helmet, gloves, jacket). The only issue is parking with them in the garage. It makes the bike too wide. However, with a push of a button and turn of the key, they pop off. They come off in under 5 seconds each.

This has probably been the best addition to my MTS...

Cheers,
JS

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got mine used from another member and they are a cinch to install. Operating on memory, I think each side bracket uses four bolts and the back bracket involves two. When I got mine, it didn't come with any directions. Regardless, I was able to figure it out and mount everything in about 15 minutes.

I don't see too many on here for sale. However, on the multistrada.net site you can find them used every once in a while.

Needless to say, they are great to have on the bike. They hold a great deal of items for day trips (helmet, gloves, jacket). The only issue is parking with them in the garage. It makes the bike too wide. However, with a push of a button and turn of the key, they pop off. They come off in under 5 seconds each.

This has probably been the best addition to my MTS...

Cheers,
JS
Thank you very much for the great info and for taking the time to post.

Best wishes,

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a link from over at Multistrada.net on mounting the soft bags. It's the same as far as the brackets go.

Used is the way to go and Ebay almost always has some going as well as the market place forum at Multistrada.net. I bought mine from a guy at work for $300. The left one was cracked but usable. Then I found a left one on Ebay for $50 and then found a new half to replace the cracked bit for $25 on Ebay. I have a set plus a near mint additional left for $375. IIRC, my local Duc shop wanted $1k+ for new. I also got a top case and mount on Ebay for $200 so I have the whole DP luggage set up for under $600. They're out there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope these pictures help.
Thank you very much!!!:):):)

That is EXACTLY what I needed! I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Ride safe & stay warm,

John

PS: And thanks again to all the good folks who posted all the helpful advice and info!
J

·
Registered
96 Posts
I find it odd that Givi does not make pannier racks for the multi, just a top case plate.. So, if you get a multi, and you want hard cases, you're stock with OEM cases, is this correct?

I've heard the OEM cases are made by Givi, but I'd like to have a choice..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find it odd that Givi does not make pannier racks for the multi, just a top case place.. So, if you get a multi, and you want hard cases, you're stock with OEM cases, is this correct?

I'm not completely sure, but I believe that's correct.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I find it odd that Givi does not make pannier racks for the multi, just a top case plate.. So, if you get a multi, and you want hard cases, you're stock with OEM cases, is this correct?

The original manufacturer of the panniers for the Multi was an Italian company, Nonfango. As far I understand they went bankrupt (~2006) and Givi took over making them for Ducati.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
So there are no aftermarket panniers available that will readily fit the Multi?
I haven't seen any that are advertised as a direct fit for a Multi 1100, but there are plenty of universal kits out there that could probably be made to fit with a little elbow grease and some fabrication skills. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts