Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be custom remapping the ecu of our first panigale next week. The individual fly by wire maps per cylinder , per gear , per mode seem complex. Lets see how she goes .

First on the list is 02 off and a few other diddles. Then by the end of the week we should have enough data to start tuning it. I have owners reporting the typical poor low speed running like the multi but we will see.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Another subscriber.

I'll be very interested to see what comes out of this. Just spoke with Lofgren and he'll have my bike next week to see what improvements can be made to the map that comes with the Termi slip ons.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jo! Keep us posted! 200hp!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another subscriber.

I'll be very interested to see what comes out of this. Just spoke with Lofgren and he'll have my bike next week to see what improvements can be made to the map that comes with the Termi slip ons.
Yes doug and i are working on figuring this together. Its a shame were on two different sides of the planet

O2 off is now located. The testing continues

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday i finished my first ecu remap of the beast.
I was able to eliminate the o2 sensor and exhaust valve. Change the 195 hi fly by wire progression and tune the bike.

This bike had a stock exhaust and i have never seen fuelling soo inconsistant. The end result was a bike you could cruise on happily and max power went from 179 to 186 on its best run after tuning. the average was 185.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yesterday i finished my first ecu remap of the beast.
I was able to eliminate the o2 sensor and exhaust valve. Change the 195 hi fly by wire progression and tune the bike.

This bike had a stock exhaust and i have never seen fuelling soo inconsistant. The end result was a bike you could cruise on happily and max power went from 179 to 186 on its best run after tuning. the average was 185.
Wow, sounds good.:D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Good to see the positive progress. Thanks for your work Chris!

My bike went into Lofgren yesterday. I provided him the Up Map dongle so he should be able to compare the stock map with the map that comes with the Termi silencers to see what Ducati does when they "tune" for the Termis.

Hopefully the results from the remapping of the stock 1199 means the stock 1199 driveability improvements can be made to the 1199 with the Termi silencers on it. I'm also hopeful that the similar top end improvements can be made to the Termi silencer map.

With a little luck I'll know by tomorrow or early next week.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Am I way out here, but it seems counterintuitive that you'd remove the O2 sensor to improve fueling/driveability?? I mean, theoretically, isn't the O2 sensor supposed to adjust things 'on-the-fly' for a more ideal fueling across the board?

I understand why you remove the sensor…so you can map it at all the various points throughout the range…but logic wants to tell me the reverse should be true.

Seems odd that an open loop system like this with an O2 sensor would have such poor mapping and driveability?? But, Still trying to figure it all out…I've never had a bike with the sensor, i.e. post 749/999.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Jon, most likely the O2 sensor is a standard narrow-band sensor that only detects if mixture is greater or less than stoic. Problem with an extreme bore:stroke is getting consistent combustion characteristics. A rich mixture is an easy way to improve combustion and make more power, but emission controls interfere with that.

Ducati's endstate for the OE fueling is to meet emission requirements. Unfortunately for us, that often means poor drivability, particulary at the throttle break points we use most on on the road.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No updates in nearly two weeks? CJS what's going on? Any new updates for us?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
... Ducati's endstate for the OE fueling is to meet emission requirements. Unfortunately for us, that often means poor drivability, particulary at the throttle break points we use most on on the road.
Are there particular Ducati models that are worse for this? I've owned an S4RS Monster and now an 1198SP, and neither had/have driveability issues. I've taken test rides on a few other Ducati models and have yet to run into this issue. (Granted, I've never ridden a MS1200).

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
There are sopme models that have bigger problems then others..
The 748R comes to mind. Those where badly fueled and had an even worse ignition map.
I own a MTS 1200 and that is rather poorly fueled at lower revs (3k rpm or so) before tom at Hypertrick mapped it. Now it runs great. The problem was handled by making the stock ecu open loop among other things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have def noticed some fueling issues on the s I got when cruising with a steady throttle, it surges pretty badly. The demo I rode had no such issues. I am waiting to see if some milage cleans it up although I suspect not. Still fun as hell to ride!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Chris has already reported his remapping results earlier in this thread on a base 1199.

Lofgren has not succeeded in remapping my 1199S with Termi slip ons yet. From what I have gleaned from conversations with him it is very complicated. I could be all wet, so take the following with a huge grain of salt.

Some highlights as I understand them:

- there are over 70 tables used by the ECU and each table is roughly 20x20.
- there are cylinder-gear specific tables for the same parameters, so each cylinder is tuned in each gear independently
- there are overall fueling tables too (not specific to gear or cylinder)
- the bike uses a true fly-by-wire throttle, so there are tables which control throttle action, no more simple throttle position tuning
- bike fueling is "all over". This is a tough comment to think about, when you consider that there is cylinder-gear specific mapping.
- the bike supposedly uses an accelerometer as part of its traction control, and tables like the throttle progressivity table could be "tuned" with this in mind.
- the European ECU and U.S. ECU are different enough that the maps don't interchange directly
- the maps for the Termi slip ons and full system are already in the ECU and the dongle that comes with the exhaust options triggers access to the tables.​

My conjecture.

The ECU firmware is going to have to be analyzed so the interaction between the tables can be better understood. There is no controlled way to test the traction control and without understanding the ECU firmware it is possible that mapping changes could affect things like traction control or the engine brake control. There is some work going on in this area.

Vendors looking to provide after market exhaust options have some real challenges ahead of them to provide good tuning that goes along with their exhausts.

Theoretically incredibly precise maps can be developed for the bike (e.g. mapping to optimize performance for each gear and cylinder) but this is way beyond what a PCV is going to do and how much Ducati makes use of this potential will have allot to do with how successful anyone's tuning can be and how much effort it is going to take to tune the bike.

Much still has to be learned.

Once this is all figured out, due to the amount of investigation and research required, I don't think you'll hear anyone being particularly forthright about how all this works and how remapping should be done.​

·
Registered
416 Posts
Any updates on this? I would really like my ecu tweaked... How is he getting into the maps and changing the values? The power commander is being produced right now, but not sure how it will play with the ride by wire and all the other tricks this ecu uses...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Once this is all figured out, due to the amount of investigation and research required, I don't think you'll hear anyone being particularly forthright about how all this works and how remapping should be done.[/INDENT]
I don't think anyone is looking for particulars? We just want to know if any progress has been made and if there's a map ready for purchase.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts