Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have done some long rides on an 1199 and it's more comfortable than a 996/1098

The older SF848/1098 are more comfortable for longer trips, but still a little aggressive with the reach. The only issue I have with the 1199 is the heat from the exhaust. Damn, that motor will burn the shit out of your legs if you squeeze the tank. Burned the inside of my legs only bike I have ever done that with. Anything over 80 degrees that bike seems to really get hot. Once moving it's not bad, but in traffic it can be a bitch. Torque of the 1199 is fun and the engine revs like crazy great bike besides the heat. Maybe that was just me.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Tell me about it! I had an early Pani before they came up with the added shielding (which were retrofitted). It does get toasty, tho I think the right side pipe on my 996 was worse.
I have done some long rides on an 1199 and it's more comfortable than a 996/1098

The older SF848/1098 are more comfortable for longer trips, but still a little aggressive with the reach. The only issue I have with the 1199 is the heat from the exhaust. Damn, that motor will burn the shit out of your legs if you squeeze the tank. Burned the inside of my legs only bike I have ever done that with. Anything over 80 degrees that bike seems to really get hot. Once moving it's not bad, but in traffic it can be a bitch. Torque of the 1199 is fun and the engine revs like crazy great bike besides the heat. Maybe that was just me.

·
Super Moderator
4,973 Posts
I would take a few bikes out for test rides at the dealer. Find out if it's comfortable enough for you. The bikes ergonomics will play a significant role in your comfort...but...what may be uncomfortable for me may be fine for you. I'm 6'0" and ride an ST3 with the stock clip-ons mounted as low as they can go. For me, that's all day riding comfort. If I hop on the CBR600RR, I'm ready to get off after an hour. I test drove a V4 pani and found it to be incredibly comfortable for a superbike. The absolute worst bike I've been on is the BWM R9T Cafe Racer...exquisitely beautiful, but after 20 minutes I never want ride it again...ever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
"People suggest to sit on a Panigale at the dealership, but that doesn't tell me much much vs. dodging texting drivers on the highway on it after Hour 4 with crosswinds.

I've noticed no one has raised the visibility/road awareness concern of low clip-ons as opposed to upright seating."

Don't have a Pani, just a 05 999S. Fortunately I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains and have lots of great twisites right out of my driveway.
You may want to look at what helmet you are rockin' with. I've been a Arai guy forever, great hats. However my girlfriend gave me a AGV Corsa for my birthday last year, and my perception is a wider and taller screen which improves visibility in the tuck position.
Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
335 Posts
the ducati superbikes were built around riders! if you feel you need a rest rest your weight on the tank!

to be fair if you ride the wheels off it you wont notice until you get off!!!! (lots of stretching) mwhahaha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
my girlfriend gave me a AGV Corsa for my birthday last year, and my perception is a wider and taller screen which improves visibility in the tuck position.
Enjoy your new bike!
Thank you for the practical tip. I love my Arai RX-7X (Japanese version of Corsair X). Will add the AGV Corsa to my wish list since my fiancee was asking for gift suggestions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The only issue I have with the 1199 is the heat from the exhaust. Damn, that motor will burn the shit out of your legs if you squeeze the tank. Burned the inside of my legs only bike I have ever done that with. Anything over 80 degrees that bike seems to really get hot. Once moving it's not bad, but in traffic it can be a bitch. Torque of the 1199 is fun and the engine revs like crazy great bike besides the heat. Maybe that was just me.
Ouch... were you wearing shorts or jeans?

I wear a perforated leather suit (ATGATT) in Texas, even during summer days when it's humid and 100+ deg F. I avoid riding in heavy traffic since I usually hit the road early in the morning on weekends and am on empty country roads by noon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would take a few bikes out for test rides at the dealer.
Maybe it's the dealership in my area, but everyone including the salespeople there said they don't allow people to test ride bikes before purchase. Demo days are the only times you can do so, and those are rare in Houston.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe it's the dealership in my area, but everyone including the salespeople there said they don't allow people to test ride bikes before purchase. Demo days are the only times you can do so, and those are rare in Houston.
I would guess you want to stay local, and I know it's quite a distance, however have you contacted AMS Ducati in Dallas? I don't know their demo policies, however I have dealt with them for parts and accessories and they seem to be helpful and supportive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ouch... were you wearing shorts or jeans?

I wear a perforated leather suit (ATGATT) in Texas, even during summer days when it's humid and 100+ deg F. I avoid riding in heavy traffic since I usually hit the road early in the morning on weekends and am on empty country roads by noon.
I was wearing jeans which is dumb, but how I normally ride.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would guess you want to stay local, and I know it's quite a distance, however have you contacted AMS Ducati in Dallas? I don't know their demo policies, however I have dealt with them for parts and accessories and they seem to be helpful and supportive.
of the couple dozen bikes I bought from dealers over the years, I could count the number I was able to test ride on less than one hand.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts