Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
The very first bikes to hit our shores were standards. The ballers that had to be first on the block are getting rid of them before values drop like a rock. Ive never seen a bike as hated in the print media as the 1199.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does it have ABS? That's exactly what I'm looking for!!! I don't want to take the depreciation hit so I'm looking used! Nevermind, seen it...
I can't recall if it has ABS for sure.. I don't think it does. This bike is at my local shop. I checked it out and it is perfect..

The story with this bike is that a guy traded in his brand new BMW s1000rr for this Ducati.. Took it home rode it for a couple days.. Then found out that he had hurt his wife feelings by trading in the s1000rr that she had bought him as gift from her.. He called the dealer up, told them the story and they pretty much just let him swap the bikes out for a small fee.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't recall if it has ABS for sure.. I don't think it does. This bike is at my local shop. I checked it out and it is perfect..

The story with this bike is that a guy traded in his brand new BMW s1000rr for this Ducati.. Took it home rode it for a couple days.. Then found out that he had hurt his wife feelings by trading in the s1000rr that she had bought him as gift from her.. He called the dealer up, told them the story and they pretty much just let him swap the bikes out for a small fee.
This is the husband who makes the rest of us look bad. I dont care if your wife buys you a Vespa, if you know she got it because she cares about you and was trying to give a gift that she really thought you would enjoy, you keep it and you use it.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
since when does anyone pay attention to the print media, and I'd hardly say it's hated in the print media, but it makes for a better story. You always have a percentage of buyers that realize early on a bike's not for them.

When I first got it, I absolutely didn't like the bike for no specific reason, 3k miles and 4 track days later, love mine, hands down the best overall duc I've ever owned. Tho not nearly as versatile as my streetfighter, still got that too. The motor is wonderful, the electronics spot on.

The very first bikes to hit our shores were standards. The ballers that had to be first on the block are getting rid of them before values drop like a rock. Ive never seen a bike as hated in the print media as the 1199.

·
Bon Vivant
10,290 Posts
The very first bikes that came to the dealers here were tricolores, then S's with standards delivered much later... :rolleyes:
I've never seen a negative review of the pani - critical? maybe a little but certainly not hated. I'm not sure where you get your information.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have owned and still own lots of Ducati superbikes, and even have 2010 BMWS1000RR ,but I must say I love my Tricolore 1199 it's the best bike I've ever owned,street and track.the only thing that I would give up my 1199 for would be a Desmosedici ,I want one so bad :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is a ridiculous and completely unfounded statement, bra!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." Marco #58
Not to highjack the thread, and absolutely nothing against Marco, but FWIW Burt Munro said that before Marco was born. It was in the movie "Worlds Fastest Indian" too.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Almost all print tests I have seen were for the S model, I actually cannot recall how a standard model did.

It sounds wierd to say, but a standard non-ABS model is probably seen as the bottom of the barrel (granted a very nice barrel!). Resale for those will undoubtedly be the worst going foward, even though it is probably the model I would actually want.

Ducati has cheap financing on new non-ABS models (both S and non-S) going right now. That cannot help guys like this that trade early.

For $15k is seems like a great deal, especially since it will not have any freight or setup.. New 848 Corse or almost new Panigale? Easy question.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
it'll be interesting to see, I opted for a base with ABS. I'm not sure the electronic susp S models will age well. After warranty ends thesed could be supremely expensive to keep functioning as original.

Same reason I'm getting a base mts1200 too many unknowns long term with electronic susp. (

Almost all print tests I have seen were for the S model, I actually cannot recall how a standard model did.

It sounds wierd to say, but a standard non-ABS model is probably seen as the bottom of the barrel (granted a very nice barrel!). Resale for those will undoubtedly be the worst going foward, even though it is probably the model I would actually want.

Ducati has cheap financing on new non-ABS models (both S and non-S) going right now. That cannot help guys like this that trade early.

For $15k is seems like a great deal, especially since it will not have any freight or setup.. New 848 Corse or almost new Panigale? Easy question.

·
Bon Vivant
10,290 Posts
it'll be interesting to see, I opted for a base with ABS. I'm not sure the electronic susp S models will age well. After warranty ends thesed could be supremely expensive to keep functioning as original.

Same reason I'm getting a base mts1200 too many unknowns long term with electronic susp. (
I agree completely, I'm restoring a few vintage bikes right now and I don't see all of this electrical crap standing the test of time.

These bikes will be almost impossible to repair once the software is outdated.
Even now, if you don't have a $5000 dealer issue computer it's hard to get anything done.

I really wonder how cars and bikes will hold up after 20 years or so with all of this technology and the rate that it changes.

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
I agree completely, I'm restoring a few vintage bikes right now and I don't see all of this electrical crap standing the test of time.

These bikes will be almost impossible to repair once the software is outdated.
Even now, if you don't have a $5000 dealer issue computer it's hard to get anything done.

I really wonder how cars and bikes will hold up after 20 years or so with all of this technology and the rate that it changes.
This +1. Not to mention most of the dealers I've encountered really do not have either the proper equipment and/or training to fix the problem. Instead they just resort to throwing parts and it and hoping it gets fixed. Fine when it's on their dime but :eek::eek: when the warranty runs out.

New ducs are like buying a new M5 or other high-end sports car. Enjoy them when under warranty, and dump them quick when they run out.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
It won't take 20 years to find out. I work on Rovers and Jags, both with electrical everything. We are one of the only indie shops in town with the correct Auto-Logic OBDII system to get into everything electrical. People come to us for things that are simple but cannot be accessed because they lack the electrical hardware and software.

$10k for the Auto Logic System.
$2.5k software update per model per year.

Given the fact that these "high" end pieces of junk have more technology than in the mid to lower price range vehicles, I see the technology is trickling down. Technology in an 08 Rover can now be found in your Hyundai or what have you. (but this technology improved is still going to go bad)

New ducs are like buying a new M5 or other high-end sports car. Enjoy them when under warranty, and dump them quick when they run out.
Yep

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not everyone wants an "S"

Just brought home a new standard model a few days ago..I paid a bit more than this 15 grand. By the way, that's a shitload of bike for not much dough....Actually, I chose to purchase the standard model for several reasons. 1st being, I didn't want to have a 24 grand Ducati. Second, I also agree with the overcomplexity surrounding the "S" models. I plan on keeping mine 'past' the warranty period. And finally, purchasing the standard for 6 grand less gives me the option of adding my own BST carbon wheels.....Plus, I just like the minimalistic look of all red and black...
Anyone in this neck of the woods looking to purchase, this would be an excellent deal....Heck, don't have to go through the hassles of initial break-in..
Just took it out for a short ride, can't get by how well balanced the bikes are. Can't imagine anyone looking to purchase a new Superbike and 'not' considering the Panigale..
Pat..

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
What the hell are you talking about?:confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts