Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Its on an Ape forum...nuff said...lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe it wasn't at the time of testing? That'd be my take on it but they'd definately be euro4 compliant upon sale obviously...unless they did a VW Golf emissions test...

Reactions: paulmm600

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This sounds a bit more like it.

There are no 1299's in this year's press fleet (US) and Ducati didn't want to supply us with a bike. They pulled the 1199 two years ago (2015 Superbike shootout) at the last minute so we had to borrow a reader's bike for the test. We're not sure what the motive is behind their absence from testing but it only hurts, not helps. Too bad. That 1299 is a good bike. It'd have been nice to ride one back to back against all the others.

Track shootout results should post soon. I'll put a link up when it does on this thread as well.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
As far as I know the 1299s were sold as euro 3 in 2016 and the dealers could opt to buy the remaining stock as 2017 models, which in effect were still euro 3 but ok:ed for sale in 2017, here in sweden that is, but same rules as in the rest of europe. All the used 1299s for sale went like that, at the shop they turned over before entry.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's interesting that the Ducati web site is silent on emissions compliance with the 1299 (Meaning they probably aren't Euro 4 compliant), yet Ducati is quite strong in stating that the 1299SL (or Superlegerra) is Euro 4 compliant. Admittedly the 1299SL is a new model of 2017 and the 1299 is a carry over, however the 1299SL does show that Ducati would be able to make the Panigale Euro 4 compliant without compromising power.

I guess the good news is this means the new V4 superbike may be quite close...

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The 1299 with the current underslung exhaust is not Euro 4 compliant. As another poster mentioned above manufacturers can sell a limited quantities. How limited though? Ducati has been really thorough at updating its entire line to Euro 4, which helps them with their allowable quota for Euro 3 (IIRC 10% of Euro 3 bikes numbers now upgraded to Euro 4, so a few thousand of 1299 can be sold in other words). Almost positive the Suzuki GSXR600 & 750 are in the same boat.

Euro 4 started for bikes manufactured after 1/1/16, and the allowable quota ends after 12/31/17. So there will still be model year 2018 1299 built this year that are legal.

These emissions regs do not affect the US (and Australia I think). We get the 959 with the low exhaust, while most of the word gets the twin pipe exhaust. Perhaps if the 1299 continues and has to be made Euro4 compliant, it will sport a similar exhaust system. Or maybe the 1299 will hang on as a model in only certain countries (US being one) for another model year or two.

If you caught the teaser video from Ducati, a Final Edition 1299 will be launched at the Laguna Seca WSBK round in 3 weeks. Will be curious what it will be, my guess is something akin to a Superlegera without the really expensive carbon fiber frame, swingarm, and wheels, and $36k is my guess on price. Don't be surprised if it has the Akrapovic exhaust of the SL, and a paint job like the race bikes.

Interestingly the SL is Euro 4 compliant and makes 215 hp versus 205 for the standard and S 1299. How expensive would it be to update the normal 1299 to use the same tricks as the SL? WHo knows.

Of course, the V4 which is coming this fall (November) has perfect timing for the end of the 1299. My suspicion is Ducati knows once a V4 is available at a reasonable price, they will cannibalize sales of the 1299. You reach a point where you have to pick one or the other, and the 1299 will lose that situation. They will not sell enough to justify keeping it.

IMO, model year lineups...
2018 MY: V4 R-version, 959, & 1299 built in 2017 under Euro 3 allowance
2109 MY: V4 street version, 959 remains, and maybe the 1299 having another short run in the US like the 888LTD had back in 1994.
2020 MY: V4 street version, V4 R-version 2.0, maybe the 959 starts phasing out, or maybe a smaller V4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts