Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my front callipers to the 999 ones (4 pad) but can only find them in silver here in the land of Oz.
I must admit, I prefer the gold, so anyone painted theirs properly? What's the procedure and (heaven forbid) anyone know the correct paint code, or a close copy?

I do have access to a spray painter, but would like to go armed with the right information.

Cheers
David

Alternatively, anyone have gold callipers cheap?? :grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,304 Posts
I wouldnt get too hung up on it Dave

just go to Supercheap or Repco and buy a can of Dupli-Color Goldrush (DSF30)
It what we use and is a very close match.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I find the rattle can method cheap and dirty. Works ok I suppose. I fine particle blast, thin aircraft etch and a brilliant two part paint that is very durable and I can mix any colour. Later model anodised calipers need to be stripped of their anodising for any reasonable paint adhesion. The silver and gold used on calipers and masters that weren’t anodised are a ceramic type high temp coating of which chemistry still evades me. Similar to the old kelguard guncoat or the new ceracoat.

·
7,304 Posts
I find the rattle can method cheap and dirty. Works ok I suppose. I fine particle blast, thin aircraft etch and a brilliant two part paint that is very durable and I can mix any colour. Later model anodised calipers need to be stripped of their anodising for any reasonable paint adhesion. The silver and gold used on calipers and masters that weren’t anodised are a ceramic type high temp coating of which chemistry still evades me. Similar to the old kelguard guncoat or the new ceracoat.

A quick dip in caustic soda or a blast with oven cleaner and the anodizing is gone and your left with a nice surface for painting.
I clean with Ajax Pro bathroom cleaner before applying a light coat of etch primer before the gold.
The Ajax contains a relatively high amount of phosphoric acid and does a great job of the clean up, then just rinse with washing up liquid (morning fresh is the best)

And for what its worth the Ajax spray is a terrific mag wheel and brake cleaner too and will remove all the black brake dust and shit from used calipers.
The best part is it's available from the supermarket even though all the alloy wheel cleaners have had the phosphoric removed a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Essentially we do the same thing. The small cabinet I use cleans and gets rid of road grime and anodising. Lot less messy. The two part metallics I use are very solvent resistant and tough as nails.
And as you say, etch under the finish.

·
Registered
758 Posts
spray/

after disassembly & surface prep this works well.if you follow the instructions and cure it properly in an oven its very tough.spilled brake fluid on one 2 days ago while bleeding and it left no trail.I tried air drying but remained sticky for 3 weeks so tried to remove it-paint stripper would not completely remove it nor would a wire brush.final result slightly lighter gold than a 996 caliper.
https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP736-Brake-Caliper-Paint/dp/B000CPIN8O/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=caliper+paint+gold&qid=1568390443&s=gateway&sr=8-1

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He couldn't confirm if he had any, so leaning towards a silver set and repaint (which is now free) and a general refurb.
Cheers for the advice all, turned out to be a useful thread.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One last question regarding these calipers. For brake lines, can I just order ones to suit 998R?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hate to be the wet blanket here, but I would use a two part epoxy since it cures, not dries. Solvents can easily take off spray can stuff these days. You can get colored 2-part epoxy from this place: Epoxy Coatings - Colors, Clears and Primers - Klass Kote

I don't think they sell gold epoxy but you can get silver. Really really want gold? Go to art store and get gold pigment - and there are many colors so you can match to the correct color. Get some gloss epoxy clear, mix in the pigment and you're in business.

·
7,304 Posts
Spraying two pack is the fast lane to the graveyard unless you use the correct respirator.
I've had zero trouble with rattle can automotive paint.
Like I said it's not that hard to do this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts