Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got a 1098s, and I was wondering if anyone had heard of, or knew anything about painting the swing arm and/or the stand black? That's the one thing about this beast I wish I could do, and any feedback would be sweet!:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yah you can do it. About to take mine apart and paint it a black chrome, along with the rear tail frame section. My buddy owns a shop where they do this colored chrome and its fantastic.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
It can be done for sure...it all depends what type of application. You can use paint w/ a hardner or power coating. I had my 03' sand casted swinger done w/ paint to match to darker grey/black arms that some 999's came with. It is extremely durable and I'm very happy w/ it. I had some area's such as the chain adjuster and shock pivot point that were machined sufaces-so I went w/ paint. Powercoating is more durable than paint but w/ my arm it was easier to mask off the machined surfaces and paint it. If I used powder I would have to do the whole arm then remove the coating from the machined surfaces in order for the shock, axle, adjusters to move freely. Both are easy and cheap to do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess from what I can see powder coating is the way to go. I certainly respect chrome finishes, but really I want the effect of the 1198 swing arms, where they almost disappear due to the matte black. So basically, to get it powder coated, the swing arm has to come off, and I'm pretty sure the dealer is gonna drill me on labor for that one :( ZDM, had a 999, I was wondering if the process wouldn't be a little different due to the duat nature of that swing arm? I think the actual powder coating is fairly reasonable, but any ideas on labor to get the swing arm off?

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the Shift tech cover include the hugger? Or is it just the swing arm piece? I already have the rear Ducati Corse hugger on the way from the dealer, will they fit together?

·
9,757 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts