Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2018 1260S in volcano grey.
My other bikes in the past have had some large rock chips, so I’m looking at matte paint protection film. Anyone have experience with this good or bad? Anyone used it on a matte finish multistrada? The shop I’ve talked to uses SunTek and it looks good, just checking if anyone has any experience with this and would recommend it

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have 3M laser cut film guard on all my plastic pieces but I don't have matte paint , put it on after my first stone chip , since then not one stone chip more .

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
I also have the 3M product on my gloss surfaces. Pretty much invisible for the most part. You can tell it's there when up close. Still looks great after 7 years!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
I had the 3m matte film applied to my matte grey Multi and you couldn’t tell the difference between the filmed panels and non-films ones.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Had I thought to do it 'back when', I would have put heli-tape on the leading edges of the SP3's fairings. I was one of the poor schmucks that had the knack for applying it. Done right, you can't tell where it starts/ends or where seams are unless you're up close and personal. Can't comment on how long it will look good as I was dealing with vehicles doing 250mph for extended periods of time at some venues (who knows what the impact speeds were with the track swarf?!?).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just picked up a 2018 1260S in volcano grey.

My other bikes in the past have had some large rock chips, so I’m looking at matte paint protection film. Anyone have experience with this good or bad? Anyone used it on a matte finish multistrada? The shop I’ve talked to uses SunTek and it looks good, just checking if anyone has any experience with this and would recommend it

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2012 in a colour called titanium which is matte. I found it to be very susceptible to scratches and chips so I put matte film on it within days of getting it. I used 3m venture shield and it has held up very well. It looks good and is very durable. Now that the bike is over 4 years old there are one or two spots where the adhesive is starting to let go - typically where there are thin strips under tension. Other than that it’s a very worthwhile investment. I replaced a few spots recently and the paint underneath was perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, I never thought about putting this stuff on a bike before - what a great idea!

Can I just ask, did you apply it yourself? If you did have a professional do it, would you mind saying approximately what it costs?

Thanks!

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
I like that the bike has chips here and there. Makes it mine and shows others I ride it. I do clean my bikes after every single ride but wouldnt go as far as wrapping it. Just an excuse to send them to paint when it gets bad enough.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m having it professionally done and it’s about $300 all in, I know I’d screw it up if I attempted it. I would’ve not considered it until I saw some large rock chips on my Superduke. Priced out a new tank and that was $$$, the painting was also expensive. Thanks for all the great feedback everyone, this forum rocks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts