Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
First, I would like to thanks everyone for the wonderful info. I love reading about anything and everything in regards to Ducati. I love the gold with red on the 1098R. I currently have a 09 1198 and want to match my wheels to the 1098R gold. I live in Whittier California and would like any ideas on local shops that can help me with my project. I have about 6000 miles on my duc and will be getting new tires soon. I know the wheels on the 1098r are painted but Ive noticed others have powdercoated and anodized their wheels. Should I replace the bearings? What are good bearings if I have to replace them? All feedback is welcomed.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
You can get wheel bearings from sources like All Balls.

Definitely need to replace bearings if you choose to powdercoat or anodize. Painting will not need bearings.

Anodize looks nice but prone to UV damage.

For powder, stay away from epoxy based powder for best UV resistance.
Also, with powder stay away from going full gloss, which creates a very thick finish and prone to chipping. I usually go 50/50 gloss for ease of cleaning and a thin coating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For best results I heard that it is better to find a good shop and just paint the wheels. Powder adds additional weight and the wheels are the last place where you need additional weight. Just my $0.02 but if you find a good shop to paint them, the finish will be just as durable and nice.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice thread.. anyone anodize their wheels? I'm thinking of doing the same, but I also want to anodize my frame and upper clamp. I have OEM 3-spoke Brembo wheels. Anyone have good or bad experience with this?

·
Bon Vivant
10,918 Posts
Paint is NO WHERE near as resistant to brake dusts, brake fluids, rock chips as powdercoat.
not exactly correct. Paint and powder share the same chemical makeup with powder only lacking the liquid solvent. Given the same amount of material they are the same strength, but most powders are applied much heavier than paint so in the end it is tougher to chip.

Paint with a high quality heavy solids clearcoat is still the most resilient finish you can do.
Paint will resist scuffing better than powder and will have better UV protection over the long run.
In most cases you will get a better (smother, higher gloss) finish with paint than powder,
and given that they are applied in equal amounts and both prepared properly paint has the same resistance to chipping as powdercoat.

Paint is more expensive and most shops do a good professional job at applying it.

Powder is a lot less money but many shops specialize in commercial grade finishes like deck rails and lawn chairs and the finishes aren't up to par IMO.

For your job, there's no doubt I would paint.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I would have to respectfully 100% disagree.

E-Tech Powder Coating | Powder Coating Faqs

I've personally witnessed the process of stripping a Ducati 999 kickstand which i had powdecoated previously as well as PVM wheels. It literally took days (more like a full week), not hours like paint. And a soda/media/sand blaster did nothing to remove the powder.

Here are my wheels having old powdercoat finish removed. It was painfully difficult. Had this been paint, it would have been blasted off easily.

·
Bon Vivant
10,918 Posts
I would have to respectfully 100% disagree.

E-Tech Powder Coating | Powder Coating Faqs

I've personally witnessed the process of stripping a Ducati 999 kickstand which i had powdecoated previously as well as PVM wheels. It literally took days (more like a full week), not hours like paint. And a soda/media/sand blaster did nothing to remove the powder.

Here are my wheels having old powdercoat finish removed. It was painfully difficult. Had this been paint, it would have been blasted off easily.
]
OK you are correct, however, what I'm telling you is also correct. The difference is in how much material is applied.
As I said most powder shops are commercial in nature and rely on work in manufacturing. They apply the powder about ten times thicker than paint.
Unfortunately that is what gives the powder such an awful hazey orange peel finish.
specialty Powder shops that do custom auto finishes or custom bicycle frames can do a much better job and apply about the same amount of material as a normal paint job.
These are much more expensive and usually give much better results. However, they do not have the UV protection or scuff resistance of a high quality clear coat.
They also chip the same as paint and can be removed just like paint.

I guess it depends on what you want; a finish that looks like a lawn chair or one that looks like an automotive finish.

Edit: But you are right in saying that most powder finishes are more chip resistant and tougher to remove because most are applied in a commercial fashion.
I'll change my initial remark because you have a point.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Ok..agreed that most of your points are also valid

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i had mine rims on both my bikes painted and clear coated, oh and a mates 1098 too

epic results 2 years /...track days , street etc no damage any-where

and you get to keep all the details, you can do matt clear , satin, semi gloss, you can do 2 tone anything with paint...just a thought

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I also just my wheels powder coated. They look great and you do not need new bearings unless you are worried about there age... We have also painted wheels. I can tell you from first hand exp. Powder coating is the way to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had my wheels on my MV painted at T. Markus (custom bike painter in LA) and they came out perfect.. its all the details if you ask me.. most powder-coating places I know of have a difficult time getting that exact shade of color you're looking for. Or it never comes out right once they're baked on. - it's really who does a better job in your area. can't go wrong if someone good does it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had my wheels on my MV painted at T. Markus (custom bike painter in LA) and they came out perfect.. its all the details if you ask me.. most powder-coating places I know of have a difficult time getting that exact shade of color you're looking for. Or it never comes out right once they're baked on. - it's really who does a better job in your area. can't go wrong if someone good does it.
Hey Fouchet, does T. Markus have a website?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts