Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, having started the restoration of a 1958 Mototrans Ducati 175 TS. I live in England and have a collection of modest classic bikes, including a 750 Laverda, but I am new to Ducatis.

I would like a little help on matching the paint on my bike. It is metallic red and bronze as per the Silverstone and several other models.

Does anyone know of a good match for these colours please? I have a good paint supplier but he does not have records of bikes this old.

The frame and all the tinware is being blasted now, and I am looking forward to getting this lovely little bike back on the road.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Norman

·
Registered
29 Posts
You could try the following:-
Honda metallic red 196D
BMW metallic gold 388

I've not used these colours myself, but am told that they are a close match for the original paint.

I would doubt that your Mototrans 175 is a 1958 model.
The 175TS was first shown to the public at the Barcelona show in June 1960, and went into production for 1960/1.

Engine and frame numbers started at MD 50000, so depending on the numbers of your machine I would guess it was made after 1961.

Jon

·
Bon Vivant
11,316 Posts
Ive tried to match vintage paint codes with modern paint and the numbers are no longer valid. In fact many of the formulas that were used for paints back then are no longer made.
The best you can do is to find a bike you believe to be correct and have the paint matched either by an experienced eye or by machine.

For my 250 elite (copy) I just picked a maroon and gold that I thought was pleasing

·
Registered
425 Posts
These are the correct colours, try and get your painer to match them the best he can

Unfortunately the UK DVLA has just changed the rules and i was going to restore this but now it will near imposable to get an age related plate for it so its no longer economic to carry on :-(

For info to UK guys. You now need a certificate of manufacture from Ducati including a year/date for DVLA to register your Ducati. This is about imposable to get so forget it. a letter from the owners club etc is no longer enough !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try the following:-
Honda metallic red 196D
BMW metallic gold 388

I've not used these colours myself, but am told that they are a close match for the original paint.

I would doubt that your Mototrans 175 is a 1958 model.
The 175TS was first shown to the public at the Barcelona show in June 1960, and went into production for 1960/1.

Engine and frame numbers started at MD 50000, so depending on the numbers of your machine I would guess it was made after 1961.

Jon
Jon: my supplier says the Honda paint core does not exist. Are you sure you quoted it correctly?

Thanks

Norman

·
Bon Vivant
11,316 Posts
These are the correct colours, try and get your painer to match them the best he can

Unfortunately the UK DVLA has just changed the rules and i was going to restore this but now it will near imposable to get an age related plate for it so its no longer economic to carry on :-(

For info to UK guys. You now need a certificate of manufacture from Ducati including a year/date for DVLA to register your Ducati. This is about imposable to get so forget it. a letter from the owners club etc is no longer enough !!
If you want to ship that over to me I think the license laws are a little more relaxed here...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts