Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2001 748s and it has the white front number plate on it. No idea how long it's been on or how long it was kept outside. What are the chances if I remove the white number plate that the paint has faded around it? Something I can buff out even or will I need to respray the nose?

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
IMHO, you will not be able to buff out any sun face/discolorations.

·
Matt
668 Posts
I would imagine you'll have at least some fade (unless it wasn't on there very long), and that wouldn't really be something you could buff out.

If you are removing the white number plate because of its condition...consider putting a new one in its place. In my personal opinion the front number plate looks good on these bikes (better than a front fairing with a faded section, and better than the cost/pain of trying to respray it and getting the color, sheen, texture, etc to match - - to do it right won't be cheap).

Another option is to purchase a used front fairing, but the colors varied from run to run so you might not be happy with how the colors matched (even if you get a faring from another 2001 bike).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not even with a cutting/polishing compound? I really just don't like the white front plate so it's just for cosmetic reasons really.

Im really hoping that it wasn't on long and it was kept indoors so I'll have minimal paint correction. I just didn't know how well the paint on ducatis held up over time.

·
Matt
668 Posts
The problem is that you do not know for sure until you try. If the cost of a new white number plate doesn't bother you, then I would pull your current plate off and hope that it either isn't faded or that you could do some light buffing and correct any visible fading. The problem with the buffing is that you'll end up with a surface that has a different texture than the other fairings which may or may not be noticeable. But, worst case scenario would be that you aren't happy with it and you install a new number plate.

I haven't personally tried this on an area that big...so perhaps someone who has will weigh in.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Polish can't change pigment fade. Ducati yellow is very prone to UV's so chances are you're going to see a big difference when it comes off. Your only choice is to re-spray. Make sure you take it to someone who has experience in Ducati yellow or you will get a far from perfect job.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got lucky , pulled it off today and polished and waxed the area and no fade. Yellow may be more prone to it but mine is red.
I believe the previous owner had just put it on because it didn't even leave any sticker residue.

Happy day

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Well I got lucky , pulled it off today and polished and waxed the area and no fade. Yellow may be more prone to it but mine is red.
I believe the previous owner had just put it on because it didn't even leave any sticker residue.

Happy day
Nowhere in your post did you say yellow. What was I thinking?
Good that there was no color change. Red doesn't fade, it gets slightly darker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts