Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have any idea where I can get the paint code for the frame on a 2002 998? It has a few marks on it that I would like to get a painter to repair it. I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
George

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
I've bought paint touch up pens by Color Rite and they are excellent. The last one I bought was the frame paint touch up pen for my 916, the gold frame. However, I sold the bike before the item came to me so I didn't have a chance to see how it worked.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The paint codes are in the owners manual toward the back in the specification pages.
Been searching for paint. May try autozone as suggested. Really disappointing though. I was out of state, in Utah, and found a PPG dealer. Gave him the ducati paint code and basically got the deer in the headlight look. Tried several variation of the input to no avail. So why do we have a paint code a paint shop can not use. I am also looking for some rear swing arm black for an 07 999S. Maybe some one has hit pay dirt?

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
As far as the rear swingarm black, you might want to find a local autobody shop that uses PPG paint. There is a primer called DP40LF that is black. It is a catalyzed primer so it dries hard not like rattle can paint. Ask them to mix you up a little cup of it and touch up what you need to. Might cost a few bucks. They might let you do it for free. It matches up pretty well, I've used it on swingarms before where the axle area gets scratched up.

As far as paint codes not working at suppliers, the paint codes are from Italy unless you find the US variant. Some paint codes work if you use an international paint brand. Harley-Davidson often uses PPG Global. I've gotten paint matches via Global using the European codes that can't be gotten from other PPG-owned brands.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I work at a paint distributor, I can say for sure that chasing paint formulas takes me longer than just matching the color myself. Every time I call a manufacturer and have a person there track down european formulas I end up close but never close enough to make me happy. Its not just european stuff, I match Harley colors all the time too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts