Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Having finally got the swingarm issue sorted AND some mirrors (other threads)
In the UK it has passed its MOT though that might have been helped by the tester dropping it!!!!

I am now legal. Some fine tuning to sort but now rideable.
That should put paid to the stunning weather we have had nearly all lockdown here in the South West of England!!

I didn't think there was much damage, it is already a bit scruffy, however it has scratched the right hand half fairing a bit more than before.
Now looking at the bodywork tank etc it could do with a total respray however that is out of my budget at present (I NEED A JOB!!!)

It is Ducati Red PPG 473.101.
So has anyone found a very close or exact match from another vehicle? Preferably one that an auto parts shop might stock for common vehicles?

This is a patch up job and nothing more so would appreciate any suggestions and as I am in the UK in particular ones available to me here....(Halfords????)

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Ther is a company here in the US, Touch Up Direct, that makes paint kits that match perfectly, but I don't know if you can get that in the UK. -Gordo

·
Registered
994 Posts
After checking on the (stupid) price of actual "Ducati red" paint and at the suggestion of another Duc guy I painted a small headlight fairing for my red Sport 1000 with this Toyota Super Red II from Duplicolor:
It's a very good match color wise for the typical Ducati Red. I am however red/green color blind... but others who are not chromatically challenged have told me it's a good match too so there you go. It won't cost you much cash to get a small spray can and spray a test panel to hold up next to your bike to check if it works for you. In my case the fairing isn't right up against the red fender and my fuel tank has been swapped for a polished alloy tank so that helps on the color match as the parts are all separated. If you are trying to do a partial touch up and not doing the entire panel it might be more noticeable. Or maybe not.

Terry

Reactions: rspete

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Toyota paint. Does the Toyota paint require a clear coat? The reason I ask is because the Touch Up Direct is a two paint system that requires the clear coat in order to match. -Gordo

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I just used the Touch Up Direct Rosso Red paint pens to fix some scratches on my 2017 Supersport. The color is their suggested match for the 1994 900SS.

The two step paints are superior, if you are willing to put the work into it. Use the red paint to cover the scratches for the color match. Allow it to dry for a day, then buff down the excess then use the clear as a filler for the scratch itself. Allow to dry 48 hours then wet sand 1500/2500/3500 and buff with a rotary polisher and compound.

Might not be worth it if you are spraying a whole panel, but it was worth it to not pull the tank and be down for 3+ weeks. $100 in materials is still a lot cheaper than $400 at a pro and it passes the 5' test.

Reactions: rspete

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try BikeColours (Mal Wilkinson) here in the UK (Lancaster I think) - they do touch-up and aerosols.
I used their rattlecans to spray the central/headlamp section of the fairing on my SL, and the match to the OE side panels was nigh on perfect.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
My painter used (in Australia) Holden Commodore Red Hot, a near perfect match for my bike. That car is rebadged in the UK as Vauxhall VXR8 Red Hot/Sting Red. The local dealer will have it or at least the code.

Keep in mind the shades of Ducati red varies throughout the years.

Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve been a autobody painter for about 26 years. My suggestion is to go by a body shop and have them make you up a touch up bottle of what you need. Ive had numerous people ask for some. Just be ready to give the shop or painter $10. For there time/material.
I just painted my yellow Ducati Rosso Red. I had to call our paint supplier with the paint code for the formula to mix it up. Our computer didn’t have Ducati paint codes as an option. I added a screenshot of PPG paint codes for Ducati’s.
Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try Testor's 1103 Gloss Red Model paint. It's a match to my eye. If not, you're not out much to do your own eye test. Get an air brush if you have a large area.

I like the body shop idea too. I have a go-to body man too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts