Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, first of all thanks for all the help in sorting my 900SS. In so many ways I love this bike but in the end, it is just too uncomfortable for my old and tired body.

BUT, having said that, I love Ducati and am not planning to quit- hell, it took me years to get here...

So, question for the collective... what is the most comfortable Ducati to ride?

Background: I ride BMW for touring... (muschi- no need to comment). I want a Duc for shorter, sportier rides in our great canyons and mountains out here in Utah.

I'm thinking the ST2/3/4 is too much like the BMW RT... not need to duplicate that. Is the Monster the ticket? Other models are unknown to me... the Multi Stada? Hypermotard?

thoughts, suggestions opinions all welcome.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
dont know if youve tried this already, but i'd keep the SS and put bar risers and a footpeg lowering kit on it.
This is certainly an option that I would look at first. I know the original 99 and later Supersports felt more superbike than supersport ergonomically. Of course you could always find a carbed SS and have everything ;)

If you want to stick with a 2V, take a look take a look at an S2R. You would have several bar options that way, including a set of tall clip-ons.

Without commenting on looks, if you like a dirt bike feel check out the MultiStrada. Alot of guys swear by them, but not my cup'o tea. The HM is pretty range limited but high cool factor.

The ST's are lighter than the BMW's, but not by as much as you would think. At the risk of getting flamed, you could also look at the R1100/1200S as an option......

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
out of the brothel

In so many ways I love this bike but in the end, it is just too uncomfortable for my old and tired body.
thoughts, suggestions opinions all welcome.

you just need to get used to it, after all those
spoiled years on that BMW.
don't give up too early, don't get a monster, as
they are considered the BMW in the ducati range.

:cool:

(muschi- no need to comment).
not all BMW are bad, there is some i'd like to own,
as the old R 80 GS maybe, i am actually thinking
about buying one these days, that would be the
ultimate camouflage.

:cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have mentioned that it has Helibars aready. The foot peg position is not an issue for me- I like it.

I just want a fun bike that I could ride for an houror so up in our canyons and return home happy. Not have to take two Advil or nurse hurting wrists for two days.

Having said that, you might be interested to know I am a student of the Master Yoda Riding Position and have used it to the extent of knowing it will not help much more than it has.

Can someone expand on the "Monster as being the BMW in the Ducati range"?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Comfort and riding position is a individual thing. Best advice is to try a bunch of bikes. FWIW I found the monster more comfortable than the SS, and the SS more comfortable than the 749. I'm 5'8'', taller or shorter people may find it otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
mounts

Don't know if you tried this but I have a major problem riding my bike with the bars in stock position, so I've fliped the stock clamps from left to right side and it gives me a higher lift then stock being lower.

I've been doing a lot of track time and last week I tired to ride with stock(lower) and hands just don't work well when they have no feeling in them so I went back to my way and have NO problem riding all day long!!

You have to redrill for pins but it's no big deal.. I'm from old school of riding and like the upward bars better then the downward style. You will enjoy your bike 100% if you try this on your bars!!!

Bikes are like guns you never sell them always just buy more........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Test ride a Multistrada.Many think they look weird but the comfort and feel are outstanding.I too am old and a couple of hours on the Multi are easy to do.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If your intended usage for the SS is curvy roads for an hour's duration, you've got the right bike, even with its relatively low bars. Have you actually tried riding the mountains yet with your new bike? Those low bars are perfect for that purpose - you don't want to be upright as you strafe corners.

The STs are a lot like your BMW, as someone already commented, just a tad sportier (and a lot faster if an ST4 or ST4s). The SS, being some 75# lighter, has an entirely different personna, especially as a twisty roads machine. Don't give up on the SS so quickly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have I ridden the mountains? Well yes... first of all I live in the mountains... my house is at 6000 feet.

We have Big Cottonwood which is the home of Brighton and Solitute ski area and Little Cottonwood home to Alta, Snowbird and others... all within a few miles of home. I rode Big Cottonwood the day before my gear change and also the day after- what a difference.

Just got back from from out East Canyon... must be 10,000 bikes out today.

The pain is getting better...

This is a long shot taken in Big Cottonwood, just below Brighton Ski Area.

This is a closer shot of the beautiful fairing...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
One other thing, I don't know how many miles you have ridden it, but there is a period of adjustment. When I first got my 955 (a 916 variant) I thought to myself, "I actually wanted one of these?" then that evolved to "it'll be okay with higher bars" and now...I'm ok with it as is, for 45 minutes to an hour at a time anyway. It has more leg-room than my 900SS with the Corbin on it. And I'm 54 yrs young, 6'2, 195 lbs. If I can adapt, so can you I would bet.

Hopz you have some awesome areas to ride in, and superb places for weekend trips.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Have I ridden the mountains? Well yes... first of all I live in the mountains... my house is at 6000 feet.

We have Big Cottonwood which is the home of Brighton and Solitute ski area and Little Cottonwood home to Alta, Snowbird and others... all within a few miles of home. I rode Big Cottonwood the day before my gear change and also the day after- what a difference.

Just got back from from out East Canyon... must be 10,000 bikes out today.

The pain is getting better...

This is a long shot taken in Big Cottonwood, just below Brighton Ski Area.

This is a closer shot of the beautiful fairing...

OK, so you have ridden the mountains (I've been out there on a bike as well, from Michigan). Assuming you are riding the two-lane twisties, you should find the low bars a definite asset to cornering, allowing you to get down and become part of the machine. Hey, its the boring, straight two-lanes and freeways that drive me nuts on the SS, not the corners. Oh, and I'm 60.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmmm... for the most part, we all pretty much agree that the bike is comfy. And instead of looking at the bike for solutions, perhaps another angle to look at is the rider. Upper back pain, lower back pain can be helped with a bit more fitness on the rider. at 46 years old, I too used to suffer from aches and pains from riding. with my 996, I knew what I was getting into, so I worked on my core strength a bit. stretching, crunches, weight training, all added to my strength. 5-6 hr. rides on my 996 was no problem. so a bit of FITNESS goes a long way. that's my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I had some great success with CycleCat risers with the addition of 1000ss clip-on spacers. I already had 749/999 Masters so switching to remote reservoirs were not a problem, but were required along with longer hydraulic lines. I was comfortable on 500 plus mile days, but a Sargent Saddle helped here too...

I had planned to sell the bike and sold some parts, but in the end decided to keep the SS. I just bought a medium rise set of Woodcraft clipons from OnCycle (1.5") and will try to imitate the previous fit.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
If you are new to the riding position give it time. If you've been at it for awhile and you're certain it's not going to work, start looking. I've owned 2 SS/SP's and 2 998's and have ridden them cross country with many a 500 mi. day (SS & 998's) and I'm 63 yrs. old. It's all about your personal comfort level. Somehow a Monster sounds like it might work to me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
this all sounds to familiar. i loved my 99ss but oh the pain!you can not raise the bars very much without having clearance issues.the sargent seat is taller than stock so you end up even more leaned over.now i have a 98 carbie and i can ride all day no prob. i was going to put fuel injection on it but the gas mileage with the fcrs is unbelievable.

·
Registered
238 Posts
comfort

I think one other person mentioned it and i'm far from the most experienced here- But, an earlier supersport (carbed) is known to be very good at exactly what you are describing. It has a much more comfortable riding position than the later SS and combined with a Corbin seat i know people regularly do long distances on them- and they're timeless.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
the cock rings beneath the i.e. clip-ons got to go,
the clip-ons should be adjusted backwards as much
as possible, that makes for a proper sport position.

i could not get comfortable with the high clip-ons
of the carbed modell at all.

cheers. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts