Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
16,910 Posts
I did spend the last couple of days on Motowheels website looking at them but Australia's import rules says more tax if the value is over A$1000 and adds 25%. I am thinking of getting the front in first and seeing how I go with the more expensive rear. It would work out a lot better for me by getting them a month or so apart paying two lots of shipping.
If you order from Australia, contact us directly at [email protected] so we can minimalize your shipping/import costs. We ship to Australia daily.

-M

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in the same boat for my '97SP. No idea what color to anodize them, or who to trust to do the work. I want to mount them SOOOO bad, but I'd hate to mount up tires as they are now and then have to pay to have them unmounted again when I decide to paint them.

Gold is a bold choice. There was an episode of Top Gear where Jeremy is talking about buying a brand new F355 Ferrari and wanting a green one.. but at the last second as he's sitting down with the salesman he breaks down and orders it in red lol.
Doing anything with those wheels as they are right now is going to be difficult and time consuming. You have to strip them to bare hunks of metal in order to anodize, plate or powder coat them. You could have them painted, but painting aluminum is not easy or reliable, and you may have to strip them for that also. This means you throw away perfectly good bearings, and pull out perfectly good cush drive bushings. I would not bother.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you order from Australia, contact us directly at [email protected] so we can minimalize your shipping/import costs. We ship to Australia daily.

-M
Damn. February is toast for me as I have to spend to much time out of state and there will be no-one here to accept delivery. March is looking good though as I might only be away for 5 days in the month.

1 wheel at a time might be easier to get without any unnecessary questions being asked. Shipping would be cheaper than that.

"I'll be back" said the famous person.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A decision has been made.................

(drumroll, please)

After agonizing about this for days............

SILVER

black is out.

gold is like a pretty girl wearing too much make-up. (despite my attraction to really slutty women wearing way too much make-up and not enough clothes :D)

Silver - classy, reserved, understated. IMO it matches the bike best.

Whew! :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
That is one of the (too)many ideas I have bouncing around in my head.

I'll update the CF thread with where I am with everything...

Cheers,

Tom

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congrats on your decision, Mike. I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Did I ever tell you I bought my SS in Tacoma? Great riding out there!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
ordered! :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am dreading saying this but - I hope you don't sleep tonight.

I've sent my email - still tossing up whether to go black or gold. My mind is changing to gold. Shiny or not. A bit of brake dust and chain lube will fix that.

As long as I get a pair before the Kiwi I'll be happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's really great that Moto Wheels puts so much of the wheel weight data on their site. Those OZ wheels are really light weight! Amazing.

Tire weights are important as well. They do vary from brand to brand and of course different sizes. I have to dig deep into the manufacturers data to find the information though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I am dreading saying this but - I hope you don't sleep tonight.

I've sent my email - still tossing up whether to go black or gold. My mind is changing to gold. Shiny or not. A bit of brake dust and chain lube will fix that.

As long as I get a pair before the Kiwi I'll be happy.
TD - sent you an important pm!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It's really great that Moto Wheels puts so much of the wheel weight data on their site. Those OZ wheels are really light weight! Amazing.

Tire weights are important as well. They do vary from brand to brand and of course different sizes. I have to dig deep into the manufacturers data to find the information though.
Hope this helps out. Most of these tires are still current.

2010 Street Motorcycle Tire Comparison - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Wow, great article! Thank you.

The front tires seem to range over less than 1 pound, whereas the rears range over more than 1 pound between brands and models.
yeah, i liked how the test rider had no idea what he was riding on. all comparisons should be like that.

the Dunlop Q2s seemed to be the clear "value" winner.
i just bought a set to put on the new wheels. low price was important since i am now comletely broke! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Doing anything with those wheels as they are right now is going to be difficult and time consuming. You have to strip them to bare hunks of metal in order to anodize, plate or powder coat them. You could have them painted, but painting aluminum is not easy or reliable, and you may have to strip them for that also. This means you throw away perfectly good bearings, and pull out perfectly good cush drive bushings. I would not bother.
Actually, they are bare chunks of metal lol. They're one piece forged aluminum that have been polished, and there isn't any epoxy or clear lacquer on them as far as I can tell. I broke them down all the way to bare wheels last night, ordered new bearings since these were all 15 years old I imagine, and should be dropping them off with a powder coater next week. The guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and was 99% sure that a simple media blast and pre-bake to get the old polish out from underneath the surface of the aluminum would make them fine candidates for powder coating. Here's a few pics of the breakdown, so people can see what's commonly inside aftermarket wheels.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts