Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started installing my Heaterz this weekend. Removed the old grips with compressed air and found that I had to grind down the lip on the bar end side of the throttle sleeve to get the heated grip over the sleeve. Not sure what to do with the raised part on the control end of the sleeve. Have you guys been grinding that off as well? Looks like it might weaken the sleeve too much. I guess I could also cut the end off the original grip and cover the exposed piece of the nylon sleeve with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine pretty much looks like yours does. The exposed throttle tube bothered me at first but once my hands got toasty I forgot all about it, I'm curious if anyone else came up with a solution though...

·
Mr Leakered
8,790 Posts
I started installing my Heaterz this weekend. Removed the old grips with compressed air and found that I had to grind down the lip on the bar end side of the throttle sleeve to get the heated grip over the sleeve. Not sure what to do with the raised part on the control end of the sleeve. Have you guys been grinding that off as well? Looks like it might weaken the sleeve too much. I guess I could also cut the end off the original grip and cover the exposed piece of the nylon sleeve with it.

View attachment 980251
I ground that lip off of mine and had no problems with the tube, ever.

The big comment that I will make is that the grips will wear over time. If you do not want to waste that money in a few years, do yourself a favor and over-wrap the grips with tennis racket grip tape. It is easy to do and lasts about 1yr for me.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ground that lip off of mine and had no problems with the tube, ever.
So how did you grind down the big lip? The outer ring was small enough that it only took a few minutes with a mill file. And did you have to remove the sleeve from the RH control?

Thanks!

·
Mr Leakered
8,790 Posts
So how did you grind down the big lip? The outer ring was small enough that it only took a few minutes with a mill file. And did you have to remove the sleeve from the RH control?

Thanks!
You're welcome!

Yes. I removed the throttle tube and used a dremel to grind it off while checking the fit with the grip. For the Oxfords, I used crazy glue (cyanoacrylate) to bond them on. When the Oxfords died from wear (and goo all over my gloves and tank), I went with Hot Grips and used JB Quik Weld because they have a splined design inside.

Have a good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts