Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gear Question: Looking for my 1st pair of riding pants. Torn between jeans and overpants. I like the idea of overpants bc I can slip them over my dress pants for work. However it seems they lack in slide protection v jeans. It would seem to me slide protection is superior to armor. Thoughts/advice?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Gear Question: Looking for my 1st pair of riding pants. Torn between jeans and overpants. I like the idea of overpants bc I can slip them over my dress pants for work. However it seems they lack in slide protection v jeans. It would seem to me slide protection is superior to armor. Thoughts/advice?

I'm guessing you're talking about riding pants that look like Jeans? Because regular jeans provide ZERO slide protection (test show they last a couple of feet).

As long as you get quality riding gear you should have some protection... armor at joints and slide points is important for longer term protection as well as for distributing impact force. With the new impact hardening armor you don't really have to give up protection for comfort (but you do give up $$$'s ... that stuff aint cheap).

I have Revit gear that I put on over my work clothes... until it gets really hot and then I carry my work clothes and change when I get to work.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dress for the slide not the ride. Do a little research as to what last longer and the length of the slide.
For my pants I ride with add on knee protection. Rokker pants, shorts with hip protection.
Get what you can afford without skimping.
Will vary the length of hospital stay. Skin grafts, etc.

Riding a motorbike is expensive with all the extra safety clothing. In the long run I hope never need to test it. Just in case.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good replies already. Buy the best you can afford.

I use armored/kevlar jeans for:
- Casual rides (Saturday hang-outs or restaurants)
- occasional casual-Friday at work.
I use textile armored overpants for:
- touring
- over non-armored pants - mostly for work
- if there is a risk of rain

Ultimately you'll end up with both if you ride regularly, so just pick one for now.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You mentioned you were looking for work pants to ride in? These are relatively inexpensive, usually on sale and they look identical to the drone worker pants all guys wear to the office. No boss can tell they are Kevlar lined and padded, but you will if you work in a warm office. I work in data centers which are darn near freezing and usually have a hurricane breeze blowing up from the floor vents so these work great for me. I usually have on a pair of armored shorts/underwear to get hip protection.

I could wish they were more stain resistant, but hey - some pants like this are over $300! Buy three and hit them with "Camp-Dry" or some similar cloth waterproofing spray when you first get them.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/iron-workers-chinos

·
Registered
668 Posts
jeans....

You might look at Aerostich gear.

I think it is worth the money to buy quality protection, Aerostich is over 25 years old, and they can repair what get damaged in a get-off.

I wear a two-piece Roadcrafter suit, in the cold, rain, and warm. Gear is cheap when compared to fixing your body

Fred

·
Super Moderator
4,645 Posts

Depends on what you wear to work. When I commuted, the pants (under the overpants) would wrinkle, so I just started using my "regular" riding gear and changed at work. Safety, comfort, and good looks! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Depends on what you wear to work. When I commuted, the pants (under the overpants) would wrinkle, so I just started using my "regular" riding gear and changed at work. Safety, comfort, and good looks! :laugh:
True - brand name "Dockers" are $60 off sale, so the extra thirty is not significant for my budget if the boss doesn't notice. You have to go to work at "Mad Men"? yeah, I have a pair of Alpinestar overpants that will turn back all but the worst of an inner city commute in the rain or civil disturbance and while everyone is getting the juice on the office gossip I can change into a monkey suit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts