Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bumming around town Saturday. It was 90'F and I got stuck in standstill traffic. While sitting, the coolant temp got up to ~240'F (almost high as the gauge would read- it ends at 250).

I know I've got the usual upper coolant tank leak, and I get coolant splatter on my right hand while riding. Should the fan keep the bike cooler than this, even on a 90-95 degree day while standing still?

I have a 2000 996. Thanks in advance.

---Matt---

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
If the coolant expansion tank is cracked and leaking then the system isn't pressurized and the coolant cannot remain a liquid and cool the engine (esp. the heads) properly. Get it fixed.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Yup, Shazaam is right-on. Coolant or water under pressure, will boil at a higher temp. Exactly how a pressure-cooker works. Higher pressure, water can get hotter than 212F, and things cook faster. For w/cooled engines, you need a higher boiling point, and the systems are designed usually for around 15 psi running pressure.

Another thing to check is the rad. cap. It's got some tiny check valves in it that allow flow in from the overflow tank, but checks the flow from radiator to the tank when she heats up. My ST2 had "soft hoses" when she heated up, so I knew something was wrong, and it was the rad. cap.

GN is, you can remove the cap, clean it up carefully, and get it to work again.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My expansion tank is fine. My 996 loves to cruise up to the 240 line in traffic, even with water wetter. Manual fan switch first then maybe aluminum fan, but I'll probably just double up on the fans.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
One thing that's often overlooked on Ducati superbikes is that both oil and coolant radiator fin damage occurs from road debris. Without protection, the fins get bent over, air flow through the radiator is reduced, so coolant and oil temperatures rise over time.

After carefully straightening the bent fins, place aluminum window screening over the radiators to prevent future damage. Screen material with larger openings won't stop small pebbles. Don't worry, the inexpensive window screen material won't significantly reduce airflow and easily conforms to the shape of the radiator. Do it on a new bike before damage occurs. It'll keep the bugs out too.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
As said, get the uppra tank replaced ASAP! You are currently running the bike with a sub standard cooling system.

Since your running an old 4v, then a manual ON switch for your fan is a good idea. Cost is like 5$ from radioshack. The switch has two setting: ON or Auto. So you have the option of turning on the fan manually if you KNOW your going to hit traffic and get a jump temps going up and if you forget it still turns on. :)
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/9290-install-fan-switch-non-testa-4v-bikes.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was bumming around town Saturday. It was 90'F and I got stuck in standstill traffic. While sitting, the coolant temp got up to ~240'F (almost high as the gauge would read- it ends at 250).

I know I've got the usual upper coolant tank leak, and I get coolant splatter on my right hand while riding. Should the fan keep the bike cooler than this, even on a 90-95 degree day while standing still?

I have a 2000 996. Thanks in advance.

---Matt---
Desmo Times Product 74 - Desmo Times High Velocity Fan Kit Complete kit and works very well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback. I am looking into the new fan from Desmotimes, as well as the aluminum tank from motowheels. Between these two purchases, I think I should have the problem licked.

I PM'd komoto goods regarding his tank setup, but haven't heard anything back. Is there someone out there that can compare the two tanks and give any pros/ cons?

If not, no big deal. Again, by spending ~$300 I can get the cooling system back under control.

---Matt---

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I have the Desmotimes fan kit and manual switch on my 996 along with Samco hoses. Also a Komodo Goods tank. It's a nice piece, but I had to change a couple fittings to make it work ( tank to radiator fitting was too small ), and you have to find a place for the pressure sensor. The Motowheels tank appears to be more well thought out, and probably simpler to install..but it's more $. If there was a choice between the two at the time, I'd have gone with Motowheels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Desmotimes fan kit and manual switch on my 996 along with Samco hoses. Also a Komodo Goods tank. It's a nice piece, but I had to change a couple fittings to make it work ( tank to radiator fitting was too small ), and you have to find a place for the pressure sensor. The Motowheels tank appears to be more well thought out, and probably simpler to install..but it's more $. If there was a choice between the two at the time, I'd have gone with Motowheels.
Grateful for the insight.

Anyone else have something to add?

---Matt---

1 - 11 of 11 Posts