Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the engine and the matter is as follows when the drive temperature is 72C to 78C, but when I'm in town the temperature rises to 105C of course but fans are blowing and then turns off the engine at traffic lights when the temperature begins to increase further. I want to say the engine does not cool very good maybe cool for 1 or 2°C than I add little rpm at high temperature to make my bike runing and the temperature is the same. I have 1200 to 1300rpm but jumpy rpm feels like the loss of power or irregular unevenly engine working otherwise the bike is perfect on open road. I change my cooling fluid, no air i system, waterpump impeler is rotating, no leaks.
Had anybody, someone had the same problem?

I suspect it should set the carb sync. Another thermostat?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
If you have bled the air out and everything else is ok then the thermostat is all that it could be and where I usually look first. Carb or throttle body sync doesn't effect running temp.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
overheating in traffic usually means the fans are not working. could be a water pump, or a clogged radiator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advices I would synce my TB because of jumy rpms on operating temp. and change thermostat. I have cleaned my all cooling system with vinegar an destiled water dismount every hose and radiator.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Maybe a Pesky Air bubble in there somewhere ???
I would first try a new thermostat, then suspect the rad for some blockage???
Maybe it has some crud in there???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the thermostat is not working than I would have more than 80°C when I am riding? I will anyway change it its cheep part :) I also want to ask what is the difference betwean early style thermostat whith housing and late style? Maybe in material because late style is cheeper and black plastic material than the early style. Part code number from thermostat is the same but housing of thermostat code is different. Late style: 61610072A early style: 61610071A. Which should I order I have 2003 999s. Cooling system was under pressure empty and full system give it 1.1 bar radiator cap is 1.2bar because of leaks all was good and tested system had no pressure on water circulation withaut thermostat in housing so the system is clean no pressure.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
if thermostat doesnt work it will overheat more on the highway then in traffic because of no coolant circulation. early housing has 5 bolt hole pattern. new one is a 4 bolt pattern. overheating on the highway means thermostat isnt opening. overheating in traffic only, fans not working. first things to check, but can be clogged radiator. have seen where the plastic pump gets loose on the metal shaft not pumping coolant properly.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
if thermostat doesnt work it will overheat more on the highway then in traffic because of no coolant circulation. early housing has 5 bolt hole pattern. new one is a 4 bolt pattern. overheating on the highway means thermostat isnt opening. overheating in traffic only, fans not working. first things to check, but can be clogged radiator. have seen where the plastic pump gets loose on the metal shaft not pumping coolant properly.
Other way around Garry. Stop-start traffic, higher rpm and load because of acceleration from lights and no wind speed over the rad. Highway speeds at cruise requires far less HP and airflow is more.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
actually its not, if the thermostat is stuck closed then the coolant from the motor doesnt circulate through the radiator, it just runs through the bypass hoses around through the motor and not through the radiator. the temp gauge is always measuring the engine side of the coolant temps. you are generating more heat that doesnt get dissipated, thats why it overheats a highway speed more that at a traffic light. if you are over heating in traffic but it cools off once you get moving at higher speeds for a while, usually means the fan isnt working. if your thermostat isnt working you will over heat no matter what, just quicker and worse at higher speeds because it is closed. the temp gauge reads engine temp and the fan switch works off the radiator side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts