Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son has a 2001 996. So far a couple times in very slow traffic his 996 has started to hit the 250 mark. After a little research we have noted there is an oversize radiator for the 996.

how affective is this product, and how difficult is the process.

·
Registered
372 Posts
the difficult part of the process is the price. did you happen to see how much that corse radiator costs!!!

other alternatives are to upgrade the coolant (check out the water wetter thread) and/or fan switch.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Check That ;)

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=3368&showDetail=1&categoryID=142|748%2D998%20Electrical&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=temp%20switch&collection=

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
There are oversized radiators for water AND for oil.

Changing them out is pretty easy, you just need to bleed the system from air afterwards.. which is pretty much automatic anyway.

Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Run water-wetter with distilled water instead of the glycol coolant - runs much cooler.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
OldBaldy said:
Run water-wetter with distilled water instead of the glycol coolant - runs much cooler.
+1
Water-wetter is very good!

I´ve also found that running a fully synthetic 15-50 or 20-60W oil does something for temps aswell.

Then there is Buckelew´s write-up on a "manual-On" fan switch which helps alot in traffic. Found in the "Hall of Wisdom" i believe.

If it gets REALLY bad, I´ve seen one Ducati Multistrada that had waterspray nozzles installed infront of the oilcooler, but that is only a makeshift solution, but an intresting one.

//amullo

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you are hitting 250F, something in your current system is not operating correctly. Your solution isn't a bigger capacity radiator. It's fixing your current one. *THEN* if you are still having problems because you are operating under extreme conditions (i.e. summer trackdays at Las Vegas Motor Speedway), consider upgrading. Your possible problems include a thermostat that isn't opening fully, air in the system, fan that never comes on, etc. First step I would take is to change/flush coolant. Make sure you fill with the correct stuff (or water wetter is good if not going to see any deep freeze temps) and make sure to mix to recommended ratio. Consider chaning thermostat if problem persists. It's a relatively inexpensive part so it's often worth taking a stab in the dark on that one. Lastly inspect everything having to do with the radiator. Make sure you have no leaks, no blockages, and generally clean stuff. A normally functional radiator should keep temps down around 200 when moving, even in 100F weather. Will likely creep up to ~225 when stuck in traffic, but should be able to keep temps in check when the fans come on. Make sure when sitting still that the fans come on somewhere between 215 and 230. A functional cooling system should NEVER hit 250, and if yours hits 250, I'd be shutting her off to avoid possible damage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
over heating

thanks for the comments. As this was my first Ducati, I was thinking it should not be over heating this easily. I just had a 6K service done. I am not sure, but I do not think that included a flush.

so I will flush the system myself, and use water wetter, (the bike will live in twentynine palms, CA) and yes, I will do some testing to make sure the fans come on.

and finally as a second step, I will install the manual fan switch.

after all this I will see where I stand.

thanks for the info

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah got the same problem

i have the same problem with my 996 , it never got over halfway unless i was in stop and go traffic and i live in the south , i have took the therm completely out and mine still over heats now i finally have got the problem down just got to fix it , its the head gasket, mine got so bad i had water in my exhaust , havnt got in the oil yet , so i would check to see if its the head gasket to. good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts