Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was curious of a info I got from a previous post. Why and how an engine may get bruised if we overfill our M696 with oil. Should it rather not help our engines having as much oil as possible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It depends on how much extra oil is added. If it's just a small amount this will normally burn off (thick smoke from your exhaust). If too much extra oil is added it can cause seal damage and introduce air into the system.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Extra oil = additional pressure. You want to install the specified amount of oil. If you over-filled, you can - drain and repeat/fill to proper level.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
or it could pump up through the crankcase breather, back into the airbox, down the inlets and hydraulic lock the engine. Possible damage from this includes bent valves, bent conrods, snapped camshafts, overstressed and consequently damaged small ends and big ends, snapped crankshaft. Don't do it. Put in the correct amount of oil as per the manual and sight glass markers.

Kurt

·
Registered
54 Posts
jam as much oil in the engine as you can, put it everywhere, fill it until it overflows, put it in your gas tank, and in the brake fluid reservoirs, and in the headlight. (this is a joke)

I've read a few of your other threads. seriously, read your owners manual. it'll tell you everything you need to know. and follow it exactly. don't try to make "improvements".

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I fill my tires with oil. Heavier tires = better traction. Plus if they get punctured, the oil comes out much more slowly than air would.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I fill my tires with oil. Heavier tires = better traction. Plus if they get punctured, the oil comes out much more slowly than air would.
really?? thats wierd. I fill my tires to 320psi with bel-ray waterproof bearing grease. it carries the same weight concept, but also acts as a damper, and it keeps a constant flow of fresh grease seeping through the rims into the wheel bearings.

I also recently did a headlight and taillight swap. I swapped them with each other. nobody tailgates me anymore, but it is a bit tough to see at night now. that reminds me, I need to check my headlight/taillight oil, it smelled like sarcasm today so it's probably a bit low

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am planning to get one more M696 for experiments. Hope it will last atleast a few of them..:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was worried because its all new to me .. I filled an entire Mobil 20W-50 oil bottle[Suggested 15W-50]. Am not able to recollect how much, but it cost me 6$ in the gas station. This is apart from whatever Oil left from previous change - which I did not see. I did not know how to see, mistakenly assumed its empty by leaning the bike and saw the oil level as empty. Then I rode it for half a mile, kept on idling for few minutes to check oil level. And then stopped it and took it to the Dealer for oil change.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Geeze check the owners manual ...if it takes less than 4 quarts pour some from the jug into a clean dry water bottle sos you dump close to the right amount in , then top up....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was worried because its all new to me .. I filled an entire Mobil 20W-50 oil bottle[Suggested 15W-50]. Am not able to recollect how much, but it cost me 6$ in the gas station. This is apart from whatever Oil left from previous change - which I did not see. I did not know how to see, mistakenly assumed its empty by leaning the bike and saw the oil level as empty. Then I rode it for half a mile, kept on idling for few minutes to check oil level. And then stopped it and took it to the Dealer for oil change.
There is nothing wrong with taking the bike to your dealer for maintenance, Kumzme.
Ask them to show you how to check a few things like oil, tires, and chain.
I could be wrong but I get the impression you don't know a lot about motorbikes.
This is a good place to do research or ask questions.
You may PM me if you need to. As long as it's the simple stuff I can help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is nothing wrong with taking the bike to your dealer for maintenance, Kumzme.
Ask them to show you how to check a few things like oil, tires, and chain.
I could be wrong but I get the impression you don't know a lot about motorbikes.
This is a good place to do research or ask questions.
You may PM me if you need to. As long as it's the simple stuff I can help.
Thanks Mate !!!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
If that is the case as above..
Research first read it over a Few times make sure you are comfortable doing what you are doing and make sure you can reverse what you may Screw up...

I saved $40 doing exhaust work on my old truck....
A trip to the emergengy ward for stitches was not worth me doing it myself...

Go to your GOOD dealer and ask them too what kind what of product to use and what NOT to use..
People love educating others...
Just make sure the info is correct....
That is how you learn...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts