Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting gas in my 796 the other night and for whatever reason, the pump didn't turn off as quickly as I was expecting. By the time it shut off gasoline had just barely started to overflow the tank so it wasn't a major deal. Really the only place it ran down was the seam in the tank cover.

After some cleaning I fired it back up and rode about 15-20 miles. Shut it off. Wandered around for about an hour and then fired it back up again. Less than a mile down the road it started running poorly and the check engine light lit up. I figured out it was only running on one cylinder. Engine died at a red light but fired right up again, still only one cylinder though. Pulled off into a parking lot when I could.

Shut it off. Took off the tank cap with no drama. Made sure the plug caps were in place (bike had been parked where a lot of people were milling around) and they were ok.

I started thinking that what may have happened was that when I overfilled the tank, raw fuel dumped into the evap canister. When I restarted, it sucked it back in and got a plug wet so it wouldn't fire or something? I dunno. In any case, running on one cylinder had to be dumping raw fuel into the exhaust (the guys with me said the bike "smelled funny" before I shut it off) which caused the O2 sensor to throw a code?

ANYWAY... I convinced myself that it was related to the tank being overfilled. After letting it sit for a few minutes while we poked and prodded I fired it up again and it seemed to be running fine. I figured what the heck, it's under warranty so run the dang thing and see if it melts down. The check engine light was still on but why wouldn't it be? We headed out again, got on the freeway soon after, and the thing ran like a champ all the way home. Pulled fine, ran smoothly, normal temp, no problem.

And the reason I'm posting is... has anyone else had something like this happen? I'll probably drag it up to the dealer this weekend and see what they think. I haven't started it up since but I'm guessing the light is still lit and needs to be reset. I know dumping raw fuel into a converter is bad but I highly doubt it melted judging by the way it was running on the way home. I'm guessing these things use a metallic substrate?

So that's my story. Over 20 years of riding and I've never overfilled a tank before. Strange...

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
You know I know these 796's claim to have a 3.3 gal fuel tank but always and I mean always the pump shuts off at 2.4 gallons. I have to force it to take 2.5 and I dont know why.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Over filled my 1100 on Saturday for the same reason, went to a new gas station and it didn't turn off like usual. I went on riding the rest of the day without problems, however I don't have the eval canister anymore, and I didn't notice any fuel come out from the drain hose. I didn't really look though. Not sure if that helps just figured I'd let you know my experience.

·
Registered
718 Posts
im sure i'll catch shit for this but wow!!! when i was taught to gas up a bike you always pull the rubber hose part back and gas up the bike while holding the hose. i never stick it in like you would on a car. your always going to get gas everywhere. suckers!!!!!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
don't you guys look at the level while gassing up? just slow it down when it's almost near the top of the refilling tube (as per manual don't exceed this level) or around 9L for me when the light comes on. I've never overfilled this way and you prevent gas dripping on the plastic by tilting the "gun" up before moving it back to the pump.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Yeah, always pull back the foreskin first.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im sure i'll catch shit for this but wow!!! when i was taught to gas up a bike you always pull the rubber hose part back and gas up the bike while holding the hose. i never stick it in like you would on a car. your always going to get gas everywhere. suckers!!!!!!

Yeah, always pull back the foreskin first.

Hey guys, it's a big country out there. You should go see some of it. :p

I'm in Michigan, We don't have those BS vapor recovery tubes on gas nozzles. In fact most of the country doesn't use them. FWIW When I was in California I managed to not over fill the tank of any of the bikes I rode...

don't you guys look at the level while gassing up? just slow it down when it's almost near the top of the refilling tube (as per manual don't exceed this level) or around 9L for me when the light comes on. I've never overfilled this way and you prevent gas dripping on the plastic by tilting the "gun" up before moving it back to the pump.
Wow, no. In 20+ years of doing this I've never actually watched what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

So what do you do when you you let off the trigger and gas still keeps flowing? You over fill the tank is what you do.

FWIW I get how to fill tanks. Doesn't help when the pump doesn't respond like they "always" have in the past.

·
Registered
757 Posts
hey i didn't know it's the mechanism that failed. :think:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yea I never fill it up like I would a car... I always pull the vapor fitting back and fill up from there. I have also noticed that it only fills up to around 2.5 gallons, someone lied!

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
-_-; ^^that makes sense...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, that's the way to do it. It's a bit of a hassle but whatever. I just read somewhere about the problems with overfilling but I can't remember what it said, my pea-brain is full, no problem overfilling it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You know I know these 796's claim to have a 3.3 gal fuel tank but always and I mean always the pump shuts off at 2.4 gallons. I have to force it to take 2.5 and I dont know why.
Yeah same here, after I hit about 110 miles, gas light comes up. fill up with about 2.2 gallons (50mpg YES!)

but the reason you never fill up the full 3-3.3 gallons is because there's always some left over for reserve. 1 gallon is a good reserve just to be safe. you don't want to completely run out of gas with fuel injection, it could be bad for the injectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts