Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Multistrada 620, I purchased last year and has run great so far. About a week ago, I filled the tank and went for a ride.

After parking the bike, and coming back the next day it looks like I overfilled it. The o-ring around the overfill tube had also deteriorated and it looks like gas was leaking down onto the frame and parts of the engine, and the bike wouldn't start. It turns over, but sounds like it's out of gas.

I now understand the importance of not overfilling a Ducati.

I siphoned a bit of the gas from the tank out, replaced the o-ring, changed the spark plugs, but it still won't start. I checked compression and it read ~170psi on both cylinders. Spark is good and strong with the new plugs. There's no bubbling in the gas tank when I try to start it (don't believe there's a disconnected fuel hose).

I've read about the EVAP cannister getting clogged with gas when overfilled, causing vacuum issues and inability to start. As far as I can see based on the service manual I downloaded, there isn't an EVAP cannister where it should be (possibly already removed by one of the previous owner - picture below of where I believe EVAP cannister should be on the Multistrada 1000, not sure of it's in the same location on the 620?).

Also, on one of the hot days last week I noticed there was a small drip of additional fuel leaking out of the overflow tube due to expansion, leading me to believe there is still some kind of overfilled situation going on.

My experience is all with older carbureted bikes, so I'm at a bit of a loss here as to proceed diagnosing the issue, any advice is very appreciated, thank you.

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I don't have specific knowledge of the MTS 620 but that is the area where the evap canisters for all my Ducs was located. All of my evap canisters mysteriously fell off the bike soon after acquisition but they still run just fine. Maybe they wouldn't if I rode in California. The leftover hoses from the canister just vent to atmosphere in that same area as does the fuel tank overflow so overfilling wouldn't cause any issues from the lack of an evap canister if the removal was done properly. If you don't hear fuel swishing about inside the tank as soon as you turn on the key (assuming the 620 is fuel injected?) there is an issue with the fuel pump. That's where I'd start looking for a problem. You say you've got spark, the timing is unlikely to have suddenly changed so lack of fuel is the obvious place to look.

I can't believe those little rubber pucks are still in place between your cylinder fins.

Good luck!

Reactions: ctmedia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have specific knowledge of the MTS 620 but that is the area where the evap canisters for all my Ducs was located. All of my evap canisters mysteriously fell off the bike soon after acquisition but they still run just fine. Maybe they wouldn't if I rode in California. The leftover hoses from the canister just vent to atmosphere in that same area as does the fuel tank overflow so overfilling wouldn't cause any issues from the lack of an evap canister if the removal was done properly. If you don't hear fuel swishing about inside the tank as soon as you turn on the key (assuming the 620 is fuel injected?) there is an issue with the fuel pump. That's where I'd start looking for a problem. You say you've got spark, the timing is unlikely to have suddenly changed so lack of fuel is the obvious place to look.

I can't believe those little rubber pucks are still in place between your cylinder fins.

Good luck!
Yes, it's fuel injected... I opened the tank, put my ear right next to it, turned the ignition on and heard nothing at all.... it definitely seems like a fuel delivery issue, probably the fuel pump is shot. Thank you, appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, it's fuel injected... I opened the tank, put my ear right next to it, turned the ignition on and heard nothing at all.... it definitely seems like a fuel delivery issue, probably the fuel pump is shot. Thank you, appreciate the input!
Check the fuel relay and fuses first. often times you can swap the headlamp and fuel relays. Also be sure the bike is in neutral and check kill switch and side stand switch.

t_bare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts