Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally managed to stop gas pissing out over the tank after cleaning out the pipes under the tank, now another issue, first time ever i filled up to the top with fuel today, 2 hours later its still pissing fuel out from the bottom of the bike (over flow pipe) is this normal? i can of course drain some gas out, but i would have thought filling up for a good long ride shouldn't cause an issue like this???
Its a 2005 1000SS/DS by the way ;-)

Anyone else had this issue???

·
Registered
954 Posts
Daniel - is your overflow hose actually attached underneath your filler cap??

The overflow goes from the filler cap, through a hose to the 90deg fitting at the bottom of the tank - Im thinking this system has been compromised somehow...

It sounds like the hose is flopping around in the tank randomly siphoning fuel out? Stick your fingers inside & find out. ;)

You CAN get it back on without removing the filler cap - BUT its a faff.

·
Registered
836 Posts
as stated before, your hose inside the tank is most likely cracked or not connected, i had this issues with my tank and it was half split causing it to drain to half a tank as that was where the split was in the hose.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys, guess i should take it to my local Duc man, prob needs rear pads anyway, and mini service, i actually put a container under the overflow pipe and left it for a few more hours and its stopped again? but obviously not being able to "fill Up" is a pain, so as per the advice i will look into the cracked pipe, it is connected under the tank, but was really pissing out after the fill up!

Once again cheers for the input :)

PS- some people who saw it mentioned it could be the heat now we are in summer here? its been stored all winter and not been out for a ride, but not sure that's the cause personally?

Danny

·
Registered
836 Posts
where the pipe goes in you are talking about only goes into the tank about an inch then it has a rubber hose inside it going up to the over flow on the filler cap.

they do that so there is enough clearance and hose to remove the cap assembly.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, guess i should take it to my local Duc man, prob needs rear pads anyway, and mini service, i actually put a container under the overflow pipe and left it for a few more hours and its stopped again? but obviously not being able to "fill Up" is a pain, so as per the advice i will look into the cracked pipe, it is connected under the tank, but was really pissing out after the fill up!

Once again cheers for the input :)

PS- some people who saw it mentioned it could be the heat now we are in summer here? its been stored all winter and not been out for a ride, but not sure that's the cause personally?

Danny

While you've been given some good advice here, upon re-reading your posts it's possible you may have simply overfilled the bike.
The fuel level should not be above the filler 'neck' as per page 42 of the owners manual (crappy scan below).
I've noticed my bike leaking fuel on hot days if overfilled and parked, not such a problem if you overfill it and then immediately ride (and do enough kilometres to drop the fuel level below the neck of the tank).
On a hot day the fuel will easily expand enough from the heat to push fuel out of the overflow until it falls below the 'approved' level. This is compounded by the bike only having a side stand, which artificially raises the fuel level due to being on an angle when parked, obviously less than flat ground will aggravate the issue.
Try filling it only to just below the neck and see if you still have an issue before rushing off to the dealer, I'd put money on it that this is your problem.

Edit: From some of the questions I've seen you asking, like this and cold starting etc., I'm guessing that maybe you don't have a copy of the owners manual? If not, you can download it for free from the Ducati website, link here: http://www.ducati.com/vi/service/service.do?task=downloadDocument&type=booklets&yearBooklets=14&yearBooklets_new_value=false&familyBooklets=26&familyBooklets_new_value=false&modelBooklets=8335&modelBooklets_new_value=false&langBooklets=48&langBooklets_new_value=false

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the download link for the manual, and for your thoughts regarding the overfill, i have to say i agree, i think (hope) its just simply too much fuel, when i opened it up it was above the neck, and spilling out from the cap too once on the side stand, as mentioned it stopped a couple of hours later after i let it carry on draining lol, only prob is here they fill your tank for you, and i said "to the top please" think next time i will just ask for 20 Euros worth lmao.

Cheers again for all the input guys :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
... only prob is here they fill your tank for you...
Is that mandatory over there:eek:???

I'm afraid that, even if the USA still had "service stations" where an attendant came out to the vehicle and asked if he could "wash your windshield and check your oil?" like the old days, I'd be hard pressed to allow anyone else but me to "fill 'er up". But I'm probably just paranoid:abduct:.

Bryan

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah its the norm here, had a young chick spill gas all over the tank one hot day as she pulled put (to put it nicely lol) very sorry about it after, but meant 5 mins of cleaning off the tank after a simple fill up :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts