Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

After searching the 2004 ST3 parts book, I'm really not sure which is the oil seal on the output shaft, behind the front sprocket.

Mine is wearing a little and would like to buy a new one.

I assume that if I remove the front sprocket, I can change the seal.

All help appreciated

Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
It would make more sense if it were shown on the output shaft drawing, but... It can be changed from outside the engine. Careful pushing the new seal in, you can press it in further than you want. Work to keep it flush with the case casting.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
I wondered if it was that one, but they show it on the wrong side of the casing.

I'll get one ordered

David

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AMS Ducati want more to ship the part to Canada than it actually costs. $35 economy or $110 expedited!

The part is about $34

The hunt is on. I usually find it is cheaper to buy from Europe as the shipping cost is much less.

David

·
Registered
910 Posts
AMS Ducati want more to ship the part to Canada than it actually costs. $35 economy or $110 expedited!

The part is about $34

The hunt is on. I usually find it is cheaper to buy from Europe as the shipping cost is much less.

David
Have you tried a local dealer? Call gpbikes, they don’t have duc parts online but they probably do shipping since they do a lot of online business

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I just googled dealers in CA.
This place looks close to PEI ( New Brunswick), but no website. Maybe call them and order the part?

Rallye Motoplex
3.5311 Google reviews
Motorcycle dealer in Dieppe, New Brunswick
Address: 950 Champlain St, Dieppe, NB E1A 1P8, Canada
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Wed

Phone: +1 506-383-1022

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's brutal. Did you try Ducati Omaha? Any local dealers?

https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts

The seal is listed a 35x52x7. Maybe you can find one that fits.
Ducati Omaha want $72.00

I will either pick one up when I'm in the UK later in the year, or have it shipped to Florida during the winter. $9

Shipping to Canada via USPS or UPS is outrageous. I don't know why.
I'm trying the local bearing shop first. They must have standard seals

Thanks for the help

David

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just googled dealers in CA.
This place looks close to PEI ( New Brunswick), but no website. Maybe call them and order the part?

Rallye Motoplex
3.5311 Google reviews
Motorcycle dealer in Dieppe, New Brunswick
Address: 950 Champlain St, Dieppe, NB E1A 1P8, Canada
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Wed

Phone: +1 506-383-1022
Yes, they are close, but don't seem to keep much in stock. I once waited a month for an oil filter. I've emailed them for a quote.

This is why I buy most parts from Europe - cheaper with cheaper shipping, and about a week shipping. I buy Brembo brake pads from the UK at about 30% of Ducati price. Mahle fuel filters too.

I can get the seal on Amazon for $8.00 to $30 with free shipping.

David

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
412 Posts
I often deal with Motoplex in Moncton , if you are patient with person on other end of phone line they usually have what you after , in my case they send it by bus same day , which is nice .... also why Brembo pads , I just go to my local shop and pick EBC hh pads for reasonable $ .... good luck with your search ....
Craig

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I often deal with Motoplex in Moncton , if you are patient with person on other end of phone line they usually have what you after , in my case they send it by bus same day , which is nice .... also why Brembo pads , I just go to my local shop and pick EBC hh pads for reasonable $ .... good luck with your search ....
Craig
Thanks for your input. They don't seem to be bad to deal with, just not very quick at getting things they don't stock.
I can get the oil seal at Fastenall in Charlottetown for a few bucks.

I tried EBC brakes when I bought the bike and just didn't like them. They seemed to grab a bit, so I decided to try the Brembo ones as a starting point and never went back. They suit me. I know some people don't like them.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts