Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I've just ordered a kit; £113 + taxes!! Hope it is worth it!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I took my rims in for the first set of new tires since i have had the bike and fully expected there to be tubes, but the bloke on removing the rear tire called me over as he was surprised to see this tape instead of a tube. Clearly the dealer i bought the bike from on fitting new tires replaced the tubes with this tape. Anyway the tires were fitted i paid my money and home i went with them.

While the rims were off i did some other work on the bike and they sat in the garage over the weekend before they went back on.

Monday morning going to work the bike felt wrong, very spongy on the rear and on getting to work i realized the rear was soft.

On closer examination and dunking the wheel in water i noticed air pissing out one of the spokes that was clearly where he had used his tire lever by all the scratches that are now there on the rim. So it seems this guy has damaged the tape somehow and im left with a tire that goes flat over 48 hours.

Now im debating taking it back, for more rim damage and a half ass fix by what is so common these days, amateurs/ couldnt give a f*ck.

Now i can do that or try fixing it myself, all i have to do is try to break the bead and get the tire off myself without any tire removing equipment.

This is why i do everything i can myself because i like to avoid this kind of bullshit that shouldnt happen.

Not f*cking happy Jan!:mad:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well that wasnt so hard, i guess years and years of changing bike tires as a kid helped. 2x screwdrivers, 2x cutoff garden hose (rim protectors), 2x hands and brute force. Tire is off and have noticed the rim tape where it joins there is a slight lift and no overlapping piece of tape on the join. Valve is bent ive noticed but it doesnt leek from my water dip test.

Ive run a strip of gaffer tape over the join and around the entire rim, all i have at the moment but might totally replace the lot if my quick fix doesnt work but heres hoping.

I wish id changed the tires myself now only thing is balancing them.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Any news and impressions of users about this OUTEX kit ?

I'm really interesting and i'd like to have any news before order it ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of years now and they've been great. I hardly ever need to touch up the air pressure. They are installed on alloy SC1000 rims and Michelin PR3 tires. Great cost effective upgrade.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I've been running them for about 2 years as well, and it does provide a dramatic improvement in handling.

You don't say which bike you have. I think if you have a GT, then you would be far better off getting rid of the steel wheels before doing the Outex.

I did have some trouble during the installation, and I have written up me experience here:

https://sites.google.com/site/ducatisport1000s/home/11-outex-inner-tube-replacement

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've been running them for about 2 years as well, and it does provide a dramatic improvement in handling.

You don't say which bike you have. I think if you have a GT, then you would be far better off getting rid of the steel wheels before doing the Outex.

I did have some trouble during the installation, and I have written up me experience here:

https://sites.google.com/site/ducatisport1000s/home/11-outex-inner-tube-replacement
I'm still considering the Outex option for my GT1000
Re changing the Steel rims for Alu, Woody's and Buchanans quoted me around $900 for a frt and rear set of Excel Alu rims with stainless spokes to lace up to the GT hubs. These are non dimpled rims since they can only get plain 17" x 5.50 Excel Alu rims in non dimpled.

Using a couple of good condition SC alu rimmed complete wheels might be easier, but they're becoming rare and expensive.

I'm in Asia, so woteva I buy incurs overseas shipping costs as there's nothing available locally. Faba in Italy will sell me their tubeless wheelsets for EU850 plus shipping. However, I really prefer silver rims, and Faba cant guarantee the anodizing for silver rims, by their own admission.

·
Registered
303 Posts
the most important part is making sure the ripples around each nipple doesnt reach the edge of the tape, as that's where air would leak. Go slow. The front tape is narrower and easier to make mistakes. I didn't notice how much of a handling difference the tubes made until I bought a stock 1000s that still had tubes, and when I took it for a ride the steering was so much heavier feeling. I will for sure seal this set of wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Outex tubeless rim kit

After reading many posts about different methods people have used. I just wanted to know if any of the SC owners that have used the Outex kit, have any leaking issues after time.
Either with regular everyday use, or just a weekend squirt?

Cheers

·
Registered
291 Posts
After reading many posts about different methods people have used. I just wanted to know if any of the SC owners that have used the Outex kit, have any leaking issues after time.
Either with regular everyday use, or just a weekend squirt?

Cheers
Did this on my Sport 1000s, so far no leaks as of August 2015, I don't ride it everyday

its pretty straight forward, you just need to take your time on it. I used the Outex kit for the rear, then bought the 3M tape for the front rim as it fits much better.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Outex tubeless kit

Sport Classic Outex tubeless kit

My bike is ridden most days, both shitty city riding, and giving it the berries when away from the eyes of the constabulary.

No issues. Bike honestly feels more nimble.

Should have done it years ago.

I recommend it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
They still sell them I have a brand New unused kit I sold the bike before I needed
to change tires never got around to using it.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts