Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
...Tubeless, carry a plug kit with nitrogen cylinders, temperarily fixed and off you go.
Alternatively - with a tube, if you get a puncture, fit a spare tube (from under your seat) and go...
The diff is that w/tubeless, the wheel can stay on the bike while you fix the flat. If you're by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, that's a big deal.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Alternatively - with a tube, if you get a puncture, fit a spare tube (from under your seat) and go.
For serious? I don't have the tools (and I have LOTS of tools) to change a MC tire in my garage let alone on the side of the road. Hell, I couldn't even get the wheel off on the side of the road. Do you carry the necessary tools? Do you carry a spare tube? A pump?

Also, when you puncture a tire, it's generally a slow leak because the nail/screw/whatever is stuck in the tire and sort of plugs it, usually well enough to make it home (or at least a gas station). A tube is almost always a blowout.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I guess I've had different experiences.... I run (ran) two bikes, one with a tube and one tubeless, and I get three or four punctures a year, cos London roads are littered with screws, nails, glass, even old blades.

The last two punctures I got were around the edge of my tyres, and couldn't be repaired safely, so the almost new Pilot Pure on my Superduke had to be replaced, after towing (costing me half a day and £200), while the recent puncture on my SC just got fixed with a new tube - keeping the tyre - so it saved me money, and it was the bike-rescue guy who fitted a new tube for me (from a local shop), using all his roadside tools...

...plus I grew up on off road bikes, so tubes have never concerned me. But fair point - whatever you use it can go wrong either way.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
For serious? I don't have the tools (and I have LOTS of tools) to change a MC tire in my garage let alone on the side of the road. Hell, I couldn't even get the wheel off on the side of the road. Do you carry the necessary tools? Do you carry a spare tube? A pump?

You ride here, you'd better know how to change a tube & have the tools.

You ride here, you'd better know how to dial AAA on your cell.

Our very own FastFrank made a quick-change adapter for the SC.

With a 30mm wrench made, like Desmotimes makes for the ST, road-side tube change wouldn't be impossible... But a centerstand would make life a lot easier.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Last flat I got was in the middle of bum [email protected]&k nowhere, western NSW, no mobile reception, a nail.
Closest town was about 80kms away with a population of 150 people.
Luckily I new a friend of a friend that had a trailer and then towed me 120kms to get it fixed, didn't have the right sized tube. 7.5 hrs later day over.
Thats why I asked the original question on this product.
It sounds like no one here has used it.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Thats why I asked the original question on this product.
It sounds like no one here has used it.
That exact product, guess not.

Have SC forum members sealed there rims? Yes.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/101412-tubeless.html

The OUTEX Kit is on my radar. I gives you all the pieces nessasary. Trying to find a tube is starting to become more difficult.

Depending on the day, I am unsure which direction I will go. My '09 SC rear is going to need replacing soon. If you get the kit, let me know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Replace a tube by the side of the road? Pardon my ignorance, but how do you even break the bead? And then put enough pressure in the tire quickly enough to set the bead again? At the very least you are taking the wheel to someone with a compressor.

Repair a tubeless tire? Piece of cake. Plug kit fits under the seat, just need a bicycle pump to put air in it again.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Replace a tube by the side of the road? Pardon my ignorance, but how do you even break the bead? And then put enough pressure in the tire quickly enough to set the bead again? At the very least you are taking the wheel to someone with a compressor.

Roadside repair; the Indian way.

Not pretty, but can be done.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You ride here, you'd better know how to change a tube & have the tools.
:D Yeah, when I think of what bike I would ride in a multi thousand mile off road race, the SC comes to mind as the perfect choice! lol

I'm not saying it's impossible to change a tube on the side of the road, but I will say that nobody would do it to a SC. How would you even get the wheel off without a center stand? Lay it on it's side and scratch the crap out of it?

If/when I need new tires again (probably when they dry rot off the bike :() I'll most likely give the tubeless wheel kit a shot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Repair a tubeless tire? Piece of cake. Plug kit fits under the seat, just need a bicycle pump to put air in it again.
My tubeless repair kit has small nitrogen cylinders each one will blow a bike tyre up to around 35psi

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I like the look of this kit, but it is very pricey for basically some sticky tape: around £150 here in the UK and it obviously will not last forever. Looks like it would be hell to clean off too when the time came.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the look of this kit, but it is very pricey for basically some sticky tape: around £150 here in the UK and it obviously will not last forever. Looks like it would be hell to clean off too when the time came.
I already ordered this. I'll let you know how it goes.
as someone who always rode his 999 with DOT race tire's, these Phantoms as cool as they look are Soooooooooooooo bad,.

some nice DOT race tire on this should be fun..

within the year I plan on a set of carbon alpina, but hopefully this kit will allow me to hold off on it,,

the kit seems to get very good review on the supermoto boards, and those guys really beet up there wheels..
so my hopes are high...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I already ordered this. I'll let you know how it goes.
as someone who always rode his 999 with DOT race tire's, these Phantoms as cool as they look are Soooooooooooooo bad,.

some nice DOT race tire on this should be fun..

within the year I plan on a set of carbon alpina, but hopefully this kit will allow me to hold off on it,,

the kit seems to get very good review on the supermoto boards, and those guys really beet up there wheels..
so my hopes are high...
so just a heads up..
shipping from japan to canada. only took 3 days........
I cant get that service from anywhere else.
kit is VERY complete and straight forward.
front rim is a little trick, as its slimmer than the read...

however it works awesome
2 weeks not the slightest drop..
im very happy very very........ :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That's good to hear. Keep us updated as you continue to ride with the tape installed. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's good to hear. Keep us updated as you continue to ride with the tape installed. Thanks.
so its not really "tape"

its like a roll of pre measured (ei. thickness) two side gel based epoxy. its very sticky and very flexible and pretty thick maybe around 3mm

what they don't show is after you apply the first roll you peel off the other the application cover.
the white strip is heavy gauge plastic protect gel from tire spoons and such..

just put on 1000 Kilometers yesterday, I suspect its going to be fine for a long while..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Was the whole operation difficult?
prep work is key.

I could see front would be more difficult to do as there is very little room to mess up (spokes are close to edge of rim channel)

so I started the rear first to understand how it all goes down..

it is very easy though,,,
I used the wife's bamboo wooden spoon to help smooth and push the gel strip around.. (the layer on the top you peel off, its there for this purpose)then apply the thick safety wrap..

its really not that complicated,, but I guess it depends on your level of comfort.. your opinion may vary..

21 - 40 of 54 Posts