Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the tubeless thing has been discussed in several threads, but I wanted to know if anyone has used the OUTEX kit specifically. If so, what was/is your experience with it? How many miles on it, problems, etc.

Here's a link to their video:

Thanks in advance,
Eric

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought a set from Japan a while ago. It's still in the box. From what I can see, the round disks for covering the nipples are not big enough for our wheels. I guess that the tape alone would be sufficient.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There's little reason for it not to work; how long and how well?? There are piles of threads on ADVrider and other forums on how to do this with sealant and or epoxy with vinyl dots overtop the spokes. It all does the same thing. I'd be more apt to try this kit to maintain some consistency, smearing heavy epoxy all over my wheels doesn't appeal to me, balance issues?!

Send me a kit and I'll try it out on my Triumph TB Sport

·
Registered
821 Posts
looks brilliant to me! The air pressure in the tire will push against the special tape and shouldn't ever leak. I've had a similar idea ever since I got my bike, but haven't bothered to try yet.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Car wheels don have a shitload of holes in them-I like to ride a bit quick sometimes and I dont think this tape idea would give me the peace of mind to ride the way I like to-Just sayin

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Me too. Molecules of air are les dense than plastic tape so they will not apply any pressure on the tape.
What the.....??

I do agree that the air in the tire will not "press" the tape against the rim, but it has nothing to do with the molecules of air being "less dense" than the tape!

The pressure inside the rim / tire is the same everywhere. The air isn't specifically pushing outwards - it is exerting the same pressure in all directions. If you blow up a balloon with a piece of paper inside, does the air press the paper against the wall of the balloon?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I bought a set from Japan a while ago. It's still in the box. From what I can see, the round disks for covering the nipples are not big enough for our wheels. I guess that the tape alone would be sufficient.
The disks are to protect the tape from being scratched/punctured. I doubt they are used to keep air from escaping as well.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you blow up a balloon with a piece of paper inside, does the air press the paper against the wall of the balloon?
If the air is trying to escape and the paper is over a hole, then yes. It's about differential pressure. If the air on the inside of the spokes/tire is 30 psig and the air on the back side of the spokes is 0 psig, depending on the size of the nipple you'd probably have 10 lbs pressing on each one

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
If the air is trying to escape and the paper is over a hole, then yes. It's about differential pressure. If the air on the inside of the spokes/tire is 30 psig and the air on the back side of the spokes is 0 psig, depending on the size of the nipple you'd probably have 10 lbs pressing on each one
Oops, good point. It didn't occur to me that the side of the tape over the nipple would be at atmospheric pressure. Duh....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had a couple of punctures now and they have been trailer retrieval jobs.
Luckily not to far from home.
Just wondering if the people that have fitted this kit could give some feedback (problems if any etc.)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I once inquired about a steel tape kit for converting spoked wheels into being tubeless, but the fitter pointed out the steel tape and adhesive weighed about the same as a tube. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
For me its not all about weight so much, I've got steel rims.
With a tube you cop a nail, end of game.
Tubeless, carry a plug kit with nitrogen cylinders, temperarily fixed and off you go.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Alternatively - with a tube, if you get a puncture, fit a spare tube (from under your seat) and go.

With tubeless, get a nail near the edge and it's game over, new tyre.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts