Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations on an effective storage method in the Northeast (heavy snow, rain, salt, below freezing Temps, etc.)?

I will have to leave my motorcycle out in a driveway for the winter this year and I was thinking about the attached portable shed.

Happy to hear any suggestions and experiences.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The portable shed was exactly what I was going to suggest. That seems like a fairly weather tight option. A small garden tractor shed would also be a good option. Most building supply stores sell them in a kit. I would also consider putting the bike in your house if possible. I have a garage, but I put my SFS in my living room every winter. My front door has a small concrete slab with two stairs. I got a folding motorcycle ramp on sale to roll it into the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
its really about keeping it dry and keeping animals away from it. The bike shed above you would need to attach to the driveway somehow or it may become a sail quickly, it also may make an easy rodent shelter as it doesn't really seal the ground - mice love an easy shelter. I think the small shed idea might be better as it would be easier to seal up and keep the wild life out I would think for a similar price.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I hate to hear that you have to do this with your bike. The shelter idea is a good one but the trouble is the change in the ambient and the resulting changes in humidity. OK, if you have no choice, I would change the oil after running the bike, fill the fuel tank with no E gas, Stabil and some Marvel gas treatment which will leave a small residue on the bare tank surfaces. I would plug up the exhaust and the air intake runners to the engine, take out the air filter. Mice hate the scent of mint believe it or not so some that sprinkled around may work. I would also wax the paint and coat the alum/ rubber/wiring/plastic and other surfaces (not the brakes!) with 303 protectant - esp all the plated parts and the exhaust. This stuff won't hurt a thing but will keep the condensate from damaging anything. You also have to worry about the wind blowing whatever is covering the bike scuffing up the paint. Remove the batt and put it inside. And then you have to check on the bike at least monthly, if not ride it.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The part about the portable shed blowing around would also be my absolute biggest concern. You could place a couple of pallets on the ground. Then secure the portable shed to the pallets. Also put some plywood under the wheels and kickstand. The bike would now be off the ground which would lower condensation forming with large temperature swings or humidity changes. These covers should be somewhat ventilated but waterproof to help with any condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations on an effective storage method in the Northeast (heavy snow, rain, salt, below freezing Temps, etc.)?
near a ducati or a large motorcycle dealership? here they will pickup within 25 miles & store till April for $400., & deliver it back.or try a free craigslist ad or 2.or try a free ad under nextdoor.com.usually if near a big city a homeowner will have room in a garage for around $50. a month for dead storage.throw a large blanket over it,wheels off the ground,bat. removed,maybe a container of "damprid" nearby for those humid times.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Find a friend or relative with space, see if you can pay by the month for storage and you may be able to squeak by with only December to march fees . I would not remove the air filter but seal the airbox tight, other than that I am with casor 100%. protect the parts with chemicals and seal it well from rodents. you might wrap cover it with a vapor barrier so moisture does not build too much under but know that some will get in there.

Might be a good time to get married.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts