Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Multistrada 1260S
13 Posts
When I got my 1260S at the beginning of last season, it was MSRP+$900 "Freight & Setup." Assuming you're not in a place where there's much of an option to negotiate against MSRP, it's at least in the ballpark.

That's what I get for buying the one of that model that was on a floor--any floor--within about a six hour drive.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
119 Posts
Is this a leftover or 2021? I would at least get the break-in service included and some gear or 1/2 price on gear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here in the South FL dealer(s) (there are 2, owned by the same owner) you pay both, setup and freight. And the same happens on other brands from other dealers, so quite a common practice. As others have said, if this is not a 2021 model you could negotiate a little, but they normally give you a discount on the MRSP and not on those fees.

I find it quite ridiculous to pay for that, a marketing gimmick just so the MRSP advertised is lower. I couldn't care less about the MRSP, the OTD price is what matters. They also try to charge those fees on demo models, which means you're paying for the setup on a bike they have used as a sales tool..... in this case I'd strongly challenge the charge. But again, those are market practices and with the motorcycle business being so small here, we're kind of on their hands if we want the bikes.

Reactions: motoman2

·
Registered
35 Posts
Heres how I saved money on my last bike.

1) Got dicked around at the local dealer

2) Called a smaller mom/pop dealership in a city 2.5 hours away and explained my situation.

3) Told them the OTD price I was quoted (emailed the sales guy the paperwork I got from the local big dealership) and told them if they could beat it and make it worth my while to drive 2.5 hours I would put a $500 deposit down over the phone and drive to pick up the bike that day. Salesmen said he would call me be ASAP.

4) Manager called me back with a fantastic deal. Got a great bike at a great price.

Some dealerships won't do a quote over the phone but it doesn't hurt to try and show interest (offering to put money down right now over the phone).

Having worked a few dealerships I can tell you that every dealership is different and has different margins they need to hit on certain bikes. Some places can afford to loose some money on a sale because they need the numbers while others don't.

Good luck!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Heres how I saved money on my last bike.

1) Got dicked around at the local dealer

2) Called a smaller mom/pop dealership in a city 2.5 hours away and explained my situation.

3) Told them the OTD price I was quoted (emailed the sales guy the paperwork I got from the local big dealership) and told them if they could beat it and make it worth my while to drive 2.5 hours I would put a $500 deposit down over the phone and drive to pick up the bike that day. Salesmen said he would call me be ASAP.

4) Manager called me back with a fantastic deal. Got a great bike at a great price.

Some dealerships won't do a quote over the phone but it doesn't hurt to try and show interest (offering to put money down right now over the phone).

Having worked a few dealerships I can tell you that every dealership is different and has different margins they need to hit on certain bikes. Some places can afford to loose some money on a sale because they need the numbers while others don't.

Good luck!
This is the exact situation I face in South FL (Miami), valid also for cars. Very small number of dealers per brand, sometimes only 1, and they'll basically charge whatever they one and silently tell you that if you don't like it it's your problem..... just did a new car lease and followed the same process you described, called dealers a little bit farther away, negotiated over the phone with a willing salesman and got a deal that was about $180 less monthly with the same drive-off but for a car $3500 more expansive than the one in the local dealer. The only difference was the distance from my house, the one I leased from is 45 minutes from here.

As you said, if you do your homework you can get it cheaper, although with the current sellers market in the motorcycle business it could be a bit harder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts