Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 620 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I may be interested in swapping my tank if a solution has truly been found in the replacement tanks:

It's unfortunate that this is happening...my GT's tank looks horrible too. I'd love for Ducati to find a fix for this; however, we all may be writing letters to the wrong people.

If it truly is ethanol that is causing the trouble, Ducati is not mandating the use of ethanol here in the States...the government is. Where is the benefit? It's less fuel efficient, it costs more than gasoline, our food prices have gone up because ethanol has caused feed prices to go up...AND OUR DUCATIS' FUEL TANKS CAN'T HOLD IT.

I'm in the grain business, and I've watched first hand the ethanol industry rise to and now rapidly fall from power. Two years ago they couldn't open these plants fast enough, and now they can't close them fast enough. They are going bankrupt or posting record losses. The most frustrating part of it is that up until a couple of months ago, the government was paying a $.51 per gallon of ethanol produced blenders credit. Which means if an ethanol plant produced 100,000,000 gallons a year, then they received a check from the government for $51,000,000. The blenders credit still exists, but I think it's been backed down to $.45 a gallon. If ethanol really is a good thing, then why does the government have to mandate it and subsidize it?

They don't subsidize my business, and I also handle grain...and I doubt they'll subsidize Ducati for a fuel tank problem caused by ethanol...mandated by the US Government.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Per Ducati NA, ALL Sport Classics with the spreading tank problem will be REPLACED at the dealer at no charge. There is likely to be a recall/service bulletin very shortly. If your dealer is not aware of this, have them call Ducati NA Customer Service at: 1 408 253 0499

The dealer will shim the tank while waiting for the replacement unit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Per Ducati NA, ALL Sport Classics with the spreading tank problem will be REPLACED at the dealer at no charge. There is likely to be a recall/service bulletin very shortly. If your dealer is not aware of this, have them call Ducati NA Customer Service at: 1 408 253 0499

The dealer will shim the tank while waiting for the replacement unit.
Does anyone else know anything further about this? I'm assuming this means second hand owners, bikes out of warranty, etc.?

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Does anyone else know anything further about this? I'm assuming this means second hand owners, bikes out of warranty, etc.?
Read the other sticky thread about tank problems (Tank Problems Yes or No) and you will get some more answers . . . and some more questions as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had mine replaced 2x out of warranty. The last time I went (about 6 weeks ago) they told me that a recall was on its way. I expect this new tank to expand too...but as long as they are replacing, I don't really care. Well I do care, but they are doing the right thing by me so.......

·
Registered
600 Posts
Glad to hear the news. My tank got shimmed today and if a recall is in the works that's great news. I was OK just keeping mine for now as I figured a replacement would fail in the same way. In the long run though good that DNA is addressing the issue.

John

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I have a question I hope that I you guys can help me with. I'm sure that I won't get a definitive answer but thats ok. I bought a GT tank off of eBay that was supposed to only have two small bumps on the top. Those don't bother me as they are actually hard to see. But this tank also has the spreading problem too and can be pulled off of the mounts.

Do you guys think that I would be able to get this tank traded too? Long shot I know. Anyone out there have a red GT tank that want to help a brother rider out?:D:think::D Shhhh....

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Is the ethanol the problem? A friend of mine works at a Farm machinery dealer ship,and he says they see a lot of problems with motors screwing up and it is the rubber that deterioates ; hoses etc. caused by the ethanol. I believe that Shell Gold does not have ethanol in its blend. Problem being that is Canadian fuel. I usually go to the pump and start by putting $5.oo in my truck then filling up my gas can for the bike.This clears the pump hose of any regular fuel. I try to find pumps with a dedicated premium filler nozzle.I realize that this only helps when in Canada.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well I just went to the dealer yesterday about the spreading tank on my new Paul Smart. They basically told me too bad. They could shim it, but thats it. This is my second Paul Smart and only has 1400 miles on it. My First Paul Smart purchased from this dealer had it's tank replaced and the valve guides done at the 6000 mile service. Unfortunately I killed my first one at a little over 10k miles on it.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Well I just went to the dealer yesterday about the spreading tank on my new Paul Smart. They basically told me too bad.
Did you ask them to call the DNA number from above:

1 408 253 0499

??

If the dealer is refusing to replace it (and calling DNA), and you are still within the 5-year EPA mandated warranty period, then that's news for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just so I am clear, if I grip the tank and can move it, it's indication of the 'loose tank' problem everyones talking about? As far as a gas tank goes, I know the bikes up here are the same production as the American market. However, I have never heard about a tank problem locally and I don't have a loose tank on my PS.
Maybe it's your gas, or sun exposure plays a part??

Has anyone with a tank cover regularily on their bike had this problem?

I have to go shake my gas tank again...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just so I am clear, if I grip the tank and can move it, it's indication of the 'loose tank' problem everyones talking about? As far as a gas tank goes, I know the bikes up here are the same production as the American market. However, I have never heard about a tank problem locally and I don't have a loose tank on my PS.
Maybe it's your gas, or sun exposure plays a part??

Has anyone with a tank cover regularily on their bike had this problem?

I have to go shake my gas tank again...
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=55155

You don't have to shake your tank just look at the mounting points and you can see the spread.

It seems to be prevalent in the USA, general consensus, it is our wonderfull corn fed gasoline.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
You don't have to shake your tank just look at the mounting points and you can see the spread.
As VNSFXR said, you can see the spread. Get a flashlight and look at the underside of your tank. You will see the mounting points. The mounting points should almost touch the edge of the indention in the underside of the tank.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Did you ask them to call the DNA number from above:

1 408 253 0499

??

If the dealer is refusing to replace it (and calling DNA), and you are still within the 5-year EPA mandated warranty period, then that's news for sure.
I will now. Thank you for the number. I didn't see that posted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dropped by my local dealer last weekend (so my girl could look at riding gloves) and happened to run into one of the service advisers outside checking out my bike. I asked him about the tank spreading issue and he said that they have just started to see problems with them here. I thought that to be strange, we are a really small market (Albuquerque N.M.) but during the winter our fuel is at 10% ethanol. Either way, he took a couple of pictures of my tank/mounts and said he would send them to ducati and see what they said. I did buy my bike second hand, on e-bay. I have no warranty left. I really hope DNA decides to do something. Between the bubbles in the finish and the spreading, my tank looks like crap!

Sam

·
Registered
422 Posts
Checked my tank yesterday, and removed my side panels and sure enough the tank is loose. My bike is still under warranty and I called the dealer and they are putting in claim with DNA.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I will now. Thank you for the number. I didn't see that posted.

Just a follow up. My tank is ordered and should be here shortly. It's getting replaced even though the warranty is up.

41 - 60 of 620 Posts