Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

561 - 580 of 620 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
New tank is more like $1050 Ducati Factory painted tank
Coating it is $360
If you order the tank through me you save on shipping cost of the tank to me for coating.
I knew you would be in to help JC, thanks.

Currently have about an inch of movement up and down. How long could I use the bike as is? I don't have budget set aside just yet, I was planning on doing work on the bike over the winter anyway so this will have to get added to the list I guess.

6,159 Posts
Hard to say
you can space out the rubber pucks and the Mounting rail so the tank fits tighter

I knew you would be in to help JC, thanks.

Currently have about an inch of movement up and down. How long could I use the bike as is? I don't have budget set aside just yet, I was planning on doing work on the bike over the winter anyway so this will have to get added to the list I guess.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know I was able to order the "new" brackets for the tank spreading issue to hold the tank from FastbyFerracci, I couldn't order them from Ducati Omaha, but i guess its a special order.

Total was $66.41

I will report back if there is part numbers on my invoice, and pictures/report of fitment.

6,159 Posts
The deep ones that Ducati uses to make up for the spreading tank is not a good thing in the long run.
With a brand new tank it will gouge a new tank. Best to get the Original thinner bracket and space that out combined with spacers between the rubber puck and the tank.
Good luck

Just wanted to let you guys know I was able to order the "new" brackets for the tank spreading issue to hold the tank from FastbyFerracci, I couldn't order them from Ducati Omaha, but i guess its a special order.

Total was $66.41

I will report back if there is part numbers on my invoice, and pictures/report of fitment.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have received the Kit from Fast By Ferracci

Box states "Kit Ricambi Supporti Serbatoio"
Tank Supports Spares Kit #69926061A

contains:
Tank Front LH Fast.Plate 47319891AA
Tank Front RH Fast.Plate 47319881AA
Buffer 85012381A
Tank Spacer 71319431AA x2
2 bolts, different size/length
zip tie

Just information for others if you were having trouble ordering it. We will see how the install goes tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
My 06 Sport finally is exhibiting the tank issue as can be seen in my photo. Today thought was a bubble in my 3M film but it's the top of the tank, back of filler to a couple of inches from rear of tank. I had noticed a perimeter crack around filler well months ago. In any case rest of tank is fine. Was hoping I dodged a bullet regarding this issue. I understand from this lengthy thread the tanks are still available from Ducati? All my old bikes I normally would source a tank to keep forever if possible as a spare in case of a tip over or crash. I may have to go this route to preserve the bike. Question.... Have any tanks become dangerous in use and began leaking due to the deformations? Not too concerned on the top of the tank but if on the bottom and near fittings might be another story.

Trying to figure out my options. After installing Ohlins cartridges and OZ's a couple of seasons ago had thought I was finally in good shape with the bike. It sounds like even those who got replacements are still finding them expand over time. As a long term holding, if my stock tank is still safe to ride with, having a spare on the shelf probably wise to keep to preserve my investment.

Doing more research and located a firm I was not familiar with that makes tanks for the SC that look compelling. Close by and may be a better long term and stable option to a OEM tank in use as opposed to on the shelf. http://eti-fuelcel.com/DucatiSportClassic.html

Attachments

6,159 Posts
I have yet to see a tank crack
but
I have seen the warpage around the fuel pump base that caused seapage.

You can get a OEM tank still
I can order them in cost it and then ship it to you.

or
Wait for the Carbon or Fiberglass tanks we are working on this year

My 06 Sport finally is exhibiting the tank issue as can be seen in my photo. Today thought was a bubble in my 3M film but it's the top of the tank, back of filler to a couple of inches from rear of tank. I had noticed a perimeter crack around filler well months ago. In any case rest of tank is fine. Was hoping I dodged a bullet regarding this issue. I understand from this lengthy thread the tanks are still available from Ducati? All my old bikes I normally would source a tank to keep forever if possible as a spare in case of a tip over or crash. I may have to go this route to preserve the bike. Question.... Have any tanks become dangerous in use and began leaking due to the deformations? Not too concerned on the top of the tank but if on the bottom and near fittings might be another story.

Trying to figure out my options. After installing Ohlins cartridges and OZ's a couple of seasons ago had thought I was finally in good shape with the bike. It sounds like even those who got replacements are still finding them expand over time. As a long term holding, if my stock tank is still safe to ride with, having a spare on the shelf probably wise to keep to preserve my investment.

Doing more research and located a firm I was not familiar with that makes tanks for the SC that look compelling. Close by and may be a better long term and stable option to a OEM tank in use as opposed to on the shelf. FuelCel Ducati Sport Classic motorcycle gas-fuel tanks for sportbikes kevlar

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If it's not too bad I might suggest taking it off the bike. Removing all fuel, fuel pump and giving the interior a good cleaning then dry it. I use a hair dryer set on low. Measure between the pucks. Hang it up in a dry area and leave it. This may take a couple of months. Check the measurements. Most will start to come back to "normal". Then Caswell coat the interior.

·
Registered
607 Posts
If it's not too bad I might suggest taking it off the bike. Removing all fuel, fuel pump and giving the interior a good cleaning then dry it. I use a hair dryer set on low. Measure between the pucks. Hang it up in a dry area and leave it. This may take a couple of months. Check the measurements. Most will start to come back to "normal". Then Caswell coat the interior.
Good plan. I will probably get a better tank that can withstand the ethanol for regular use and shelve the stocker. Always good to have a spare unblemished gas tank.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hoping I may have simply the stripe decal bubbling up currently. I was down at my dealer to check it out. The plan is to drain, clean, dry and coat the inside and re-decal/paint the rear stripe. I am hoping that will sort my tank. It will take some time in any case.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Garry, You were correct. Just got my tank and bike back and the tank did move back to it's original shape requiring the stock brackets. My tank was then coated and painted. Looks fantastic. We'll see in 10 years but favorable cost wise to do this at less than a replacement though that really depends on your relationship with painter and quality of work/materials. So IMO another option for blemished tanks.

6,159 Posts
11 years and counting.

The Sport Classics have gone past the 11 year mark
These Tanks will be eventually be discontinued by Ducati.

If you plan to keep your Sport Classic. Getting a spare tank or replacing the tank now is a good idea, if you can afford to it.
Cost for the tanks when they become obsolete will skyrocket.
This also applies to other parts. especially Plastic and rubber parts.

Current cost for a Factory Painted tank and Coated is $1565
All models with exception to the 1000SE
The SE tank is a little more.

Shipping will depend on where you are but within the USA Approx. $95

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm in n Ireland, iv my tank off and sitting in a warm spot with pump and filler removed, caswell is purchased and sitting in garage but does anyone know a good/ correct way to prime or prepare the inside before coating?????

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm in n Ireland, iv my tank off and sitting in a warm spot with pump and filler removed, caswell is purchased and sitting in garage but does anyone know a good/ correct way to prime or prepare the inside before coating?????
Good and correct may be mutually exclusive, but...I used Dawn dishwashing detergent then rinsed many times. This was before I let it hang in my garage for about 3 months. Then I sent it to Framecrafters to have it Caswell coated. I have 2 tanks. One that I have on my bike that is not very pretty and has been coated and in use for about 3 years with no swelling. My other tank is a brand new one that was coated by Framecrafters and has never been installed.

Performance Motorcycle Fabricators

561 - 580 of 620 Posts